Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sennhesier Earbuds issue

Options
  • 03-02-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I purchased a pair of CX 1.00i from my local electrical retailer just before Christmas. The headphones had some tatting on the cable by the earbud and I brought them back to the shop where the sales assistant saw the damage and replaced them because and I quote "that is unacceptable from a premium brand". They replaced them with a pair of the same headphones but in white.

Now since then the microphone has stopped working and the just today the left ear bud. It's not something I'm doing, because they are looked after quite well & I've never had a pair of even cheaper headphones break this easily. What I'm wondering is in this case am I entitled to a refund?

I'm assuming the CX 1.00i model is just a bit crap since checking the website Sennhesier has now gotten as far as model CX 5.00i. I want a refund and to buy another model of sennhesier headphones.

Are they entitled to offer me another replacement or send me to the manufacturer for a repair? I haven't been in about it yet but just want to know the score before I do.

I'll take what I can get, but a refund is optimal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I purchased a pair of CX 1.00i from my local electrical retailer just before Christmas. The headphones had some tatting on the cable by the earbud and I brought them back to the shop where the sales assistant saw the damage and replaced them because and I quote "that is unacceptable from a premium brand". They replaced them with a pair of the same headphones but in white.

Now since then the microphone has stopped working and the just today the left ear bud. It's not something I'm doing, because they are looked after quite well & I've never had a pair of even cheaper headphones break this easily. What I'm wondering is in this case am I entitled to a refund?

I'm assuming the CX 1.00i model is just a bit crap since checking the website Sennhesier has now gotten as far as model CX 5.00i. I want a refund and to buy another model of sennhesier headphones.

Are they entitled to offer me another replacement or send me to the manufacturer for a repair? I haven't been in about it yet but just want to know the score before I do.

I'll take what I can get, but a refund is optimal.

the cx 1.00i have not been replaced by the cx 5.00i. The 1.00i are at the bottom of the cx range, the 5.00 at the top. this is reflected in the big price difference between them. The shop will probably offer you another replacement but ask them if you can get a better pair and pay the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I have also had an issue with these and other Sennheiser earbuds. In fact, I find earbuds (costly) disposable rubbish in general, hence the reason I went to Sennheiser.

The tatting issue happened to me twice, with two different models, the one listed and a slightly higher spec. The cabling was akin to something Poundland would sell and we'll below industry standard for price paid. There were intermittent quality issues with the buds but neither died entirely in the couple of months I used them for. This is very rare with any other brand I have tried but I use them as much as is humanly possible. I still have receipts from Argos so I may chase Sennheiser on their 2 year warranty.

I paid between 35-45 for the few sets I bought but I see they are available online a lot cheaper than Argos so the price is probably not entirely relevant to the quality I was expecting.

Lastly, does anybody have a recommendation of a high quality earbud? I don't mind paying for quality but I think i will try a different brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have also had an issue with these and other Sennheiser earbuds. In fact, I find earbuds (costly) disposable rubbish in general, hence the reason I went to Sennheiser....

I haven't broken any of earbuds for years including my Sennheiser ones.

Maybe its how you are using them.

I find it hard to believe you are not in the minority to get years out of earbuds but open to correction. As I said I use them a huge amount and don't have time to think about anything other than plugging them in and out. I think they should be better insulated around the plug area as damage to wiring seems almost inevitable with even the best intentions.

I have repaired a few pairs in the past but as issues generally happen in plug area the design of most makes it more trouble than its worth.

I was desperate recently and bought a pair of Foneware earbuds in tesco for 17e. "Designed in Ireland" apparently. Absolute rubbish, worst I have had in a long time.

I store mine properly and keep them in a pouch. That is probably unusual all right.

Hard to recommend a pair that are robust enough for you.

I like the Philips 3900 which are cheap but decent. Not sure if they stand up to your use though. The wired apple pods are ok too. Might be better made than what you usually get.

Maybe consider something with detachable cables. meeaudio maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

beauf wrote: »
    I haven't broken any of earbuds for years including my Sennheiser ones.

Maybe its how you are using them.

i use them to listen to music around the house and while outside... I'm not swinging them around or throwing them all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

The cheapest Seinheiser I've bought are the CX275 (not the CX275 s) a few years back. I use them to fall asleep. Also have a CX475 which I prefer, but which I actually broke part of the housing off. But fixed it with sugru they've been going years too. Had CX300 in the past but they were too bassy for me. Never had a cable break.

Maybe you could use sugru to reinforce the plugs and joints.

These were pretty tough (sweat- and water-resistant design) http://www.meeaudio.com/M6-BK/ but I didn't really like the sound from them. You might try some of the pricer ones.

Theres lots of suggestions on line
    http://headphonescompared.com/most-durable-earbuds/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I hasn't considered detachable cable. Didn't realise there was such a thing. That sounds like something worth trying.

I don't mind getting a couple of months out of them as it's probably a year or two of fair usage by most standards.

My recent Tesco purchase lasted 6 days before both sides were unusable. The packaging doesn't have any info re: warranty. Do I have to deal with tesco in this case or can I chase down the manufacturer directly? They are based in Naas apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Detachable cable makes them quite appreciably heavy, not a lot of people can tolerate it.

beauf wrote: »
    The cheapest Seinheiser I've bought are the CX275 (not the CX275 s) a few years back. I use them to fall asleep. Also have a CX475 which I prefer, but which I actually broke part of the housing off. But fixed it with sugru they've been going years too. Had CX300 in the past but they were too bassy for me. Never had a cable break.

Maybe you could use sugru to reinforce the plugs and joints.

Great link! Thanks will try some of the durable designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've the cx3.00. Nowt wrong with them audio wise as long as you're not fussy. The only annoyance I have is the cable is Y shaped whereas I prefer J.

Advertisement