Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seed Potatoes...Plant soon...

Options
  • 03-02-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

I see that the seed potatoes are coming in to the shops now. I normally plant out on March 17th but thinking of bringing it forward this year by about 3 weeks. Has anyone planted out in late February?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Depends on where you are in the country, the biggest danger is a severe frost but here in coastal Wexford I've planted in early March with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I see that the seed potatoes are coming in to the shops now. I normally plant out on March 17th but thinking of bringing it forward this year by about 3 weeks. Has anyone planted out in late February?

As a previous poster stated, it really depends on the part of the country that you are in. I always make a point of planting two ridges of first early varieties by mid-February, harvesting from mid-May onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You could plant them in October, but it doesn't mean they will come up any sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm sure you know about chitting. According to the BBC website they will need around 6 weeks chitting from about now, so that would rule out planting in Feb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_potatoes1.shtml

Advertisement