Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoke Lacing on new Superstar wheels

Options
  • 03-02-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I just took delivery of a set of Superstar Components Pave 28 wheels with the Zeal hubs.

The rear drive side spoke lacing looks like the spokes are "platted" over each other a little. they are not straight. Is this a normal/expected lacing pattern? I'll probably go back to them but will take an opinion here if it's going.

I hope the picture shows the overlap enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Looks like a pretty standard 3-cross lacing pattern to me. More information available from Sheldon as usual: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

diarmaidol wrote: »
    I just took delivery of a set of Superstar Components Pave 28 wheels with the Zeal hubs.

The rear drive side spoke lacing looks like the spokes are "platted" over each other a little. they are not straight. Is this a normal/expected lacing pattern? I'll probably go back to them but will take an opinion here if it's going.

I hope the picture shows the overlap enough.

They are a 2 cross build? Unless they are radial design they have to cross each other.

3 cross will typically switch in/out between the 2nd and 3rd cross.

Spoke hardly ever fail there, normally at hub flange or nipple/rim

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

The cross and them touching isn't the issue , it just seems the amount of angle on the cross seems a little unusual. It seems as if the builder had arranged the crossing spokes at the opposite side of the flange that there would still be a cross but less bend in the spokes. I get the physics that a spoke is like a string the majority of force is in tension and the over lap spreads the load onto adjoining spokes.

Other than that the rim tape is covering the valve hole yet allowing a spoke hole be exposed. On the plus side, the bearings are silly smooth. There is a lovely click to the free wheel and it's a damn light wheelset for what I paid. 145 GBP delivered.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ah nearly bought them myself this week. Talked myself out of it. Be interested to know how you get on. The hubs look like Tune copies

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

The cross and them touching isn't the issue , it just seems the amount of angle on the cross seems a little unusual. It seems as if the builder had arranged the crossing spokes at the opposite side of the flange that there would still be a cross but less bend in the spokes. I get the physics that a spoke is like a string the majority of force is in tension and the over lap spreads the load onto adjoining spokes.

Other than that the rim tape is covering the valve hole yet allowing a spoke hole be exposed. On the plus side, the bearings are silly smooth. There is a lovely click to the free wheel and it's a damn light wheelset for what I paid. 145 GBP delivered.

I got these wheels as well and left them at work today to collect and take home next week. Same situation with rim tape on mine blovking the valve hole on both wheels. Strange. Had planned on replacing the rim tape as supplied anyway as had read the supplied rim tape was best replaced. Just curious as to whether the manufacturer blocked up the valve slot holes for this very reason?

Hadnt spotted the spoke arrangement issue you refer to but will check to see if they are arranged same way when I look at them again.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Granolite wrote: »
    I got these wheels as well and left them at work today to collect and take home next week. Same situation with rim tape on mine blovking the valve hole on both wheels. Strange. Had planned on replacing the rim tape as supplied anyway as had read the supplied rim tape was best replaced. Just curious as to whether the manufacturer blocked up the valve slot holes for this very reason?

Hadnt spotted the spoke arrangement issue you refer to but will check to see if they are arranged same way when I look at them again.

On my superstar wheels the rim tape has a tendency to slip out of place but can be slid back quickly.

Bought 2 sets from them and popped spokes on 2 of the 4 wheels and a third went out of tru immediately. Sent them all back for free fixing (just postage of 22 EUR) and they have been a lot better since coming back.

Sort of looks like they have builders of various abilities and the repair guys were either better or more attentive. I guess though that if you buy at a bargain time jobs can be rushed. I read somewhere that if sapim laser spokes are in any way twisted going in they are much weaker.

In spite of the problems I'd buy from them again just because of the free (ish posting) truing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Sort of looks like they have builders of various abilities and the repair guys were either better or more attentive. I guess though that if you buy at a bargain time jobs can be rushed. I read somewhere that if sapim laser spokes are in any way twisted going in they are much weaker.

The Superstar wheels are machine built. I'd guess that when they are returned for repair, it's impossible to set them up in the machine again so they will be done by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The picture on the Superstar website shows the same lacing...
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/zeal-pave28-racebuild.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I've had two sets of SC wheels. Both returned. First set were never true. Second set had a lacing problem which led them to go out of true very early.

It does seem that they have inconsistent wheel builders alright. It's a shame as their customer service is very good. Hopefully I just had "Friday Wheels" and everyone else's are fine.

Just to clear up an example of what raised my concern here. Check this picture out. The photo is taken from a phone with the lens right above a spoke, it looks like a shadow from the bottom of the picture. Trace it up to the hub and there is a fairly decent bend on it. The associated crossed spoke isn't bent anywhere near as much. I think it might be a factor of type of spoke used and the order they were tensioned. I'm going to use the wheels for a bit anyway and see how they fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Sorry to resurect this but just came across your post and wondering two things.
    1_ how did you manage to get the wheels for that 145 price?
    2_ how are you getting on with the wheels? Would recommend them?

I am tempted but i am reading about some quality control.

Was a special over January. 140 GBP plus 5 postage! The wheel have about 1200km on em. They are running well. I've no complaints. I don't have huge experience to call on in relation to reviewing them however.

Advertisement