Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan leaf battery

• 03-02-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

What is the warranty on the 12v battery? Our battery was "flat" this morning. My husband disconnected the negative cable for about ten or fifteen minutes and this fixed it. Is this a known problem with the 12v battery in the leaf? It's a late 2013 model which we bought in the UK. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Well known problem on the early Gen 1(upto 2013). Not so much in the later Gen 1.5+ model, I think.

IIRC the 12v was prone to discharging overnight if the car was plugged in but not charging. There were other reasons too but that seemed the most common.

I dont know about warranty. No harm in asking

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Thanks for that info KCross. It wasn't charging lastnight. We just assumed it was the cold morning. Nothing was left on so just curious as to why it would fail like that. My husband will probably bring it to the local dealership to get it looked at anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Zelka

I have been charging my new Leaf at the nearby fast charger . I am now informed that this will damage the batteries , can anyone enlighten me as to how true is that. also what Km is it usual for a new leaf to charge.
    Thanks to anyone who can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Zelka wrote: »
    I have been charging my new Leaf at the nearby fast charger . I am now informed that this will damage the batteries , can anyone enlighten me as to how true is that. also what Km is it usual for a new leaf to charge.

No evidence to suggest that this is true. The "damage" comes in the form of heat....and unless you're fast charging several times a day, you won't produce enough heat to cause damage.....or so I have read.

Ireland has a great temperate climate, ideal for EVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zelka wrote: »

It sounds a little like you havent done much homework before getting yours. EVs arent ICEs and require a bit of extra user knowledge.

Fast charging increases wear on the battery, its not damage per say, just burning it out faster than you would on a slow charger. Aggressive driving can do this too. Nissan will give you a battery report that tells you if you're doing too much of either. If you can do most of your charging on the granny cable at home the pack will last longer giving you more time with the car/preserving resale value.

Range is dependent on which model you bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I agree with with goz83. For any EV post-2013 it's really not an issue in Ireland.

Apart from avoiding multiple rapid charges in a row on hot days I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Fast charging increases wear on the battery, its not damage per say, just burning it out faster than you would on a slow charger.

There has been no evidence that fast charging in itself has any material effect on the battery above and beyond the effect of charging cycles in general

we need to stop promoting nonsense as if it was fact and perpetuating myths and shibboleths

Advertisement