Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activate Contactless CC

Options
  • 03-02-2017 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I’ve just been on hold for twenty minutes and gave up and said I’ll try here

Got a pre-existing MasterCard upgraded/changed to one with contactless feature, went out to use it in costa and wouldn’t work (worked when you put it in and put pin in), girl in queue says you might need to activate it.

Go to ATM, take out €20, then into Tesco and contactless working away

Then I see a cash advance fee of €2.54 on my card.

SO did I need to activate the card to get contactless payment and if yes is it hard luck I had to pay a service charge to do so?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

jeffk wrote: »
    I’ve just been on hold for twenty minutes and gave up and said I’ll try here

Got a pre-existing MasterCard upgraded/changed to one with contactless feature, went out to use it in costa and wouldn’t work (worked when you put it in and put pin in), girl in queue says you might need to activate it.

Go to ATM, take out €20, then into Tesco and contactless working away

Then I see a cash advance fee of €2.54 on my card.

SO did I need to activate the card to get contactless payment and if yes is it hard luck I had to pay a service charge to do so?

Thanks
    Hi jeffk

Thanks for getting in touch with us today.

Apologies for the phone delay you've experienced with us today.  We're sorry to hear the advice given has now charged a cash advance fee to your card. A Chip & PIN transaction will activate the contactless function on your card for you. 

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Hello Alison,

SO basically when I used the card with pin that would have activated it?

and

I'm down the €2.50? I thought Ive free banking for keeping a minimum amount? 

Jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hello Alison,

SO basically when I used the card with pin that would have activated it?

and

I'm down the €2.50? I thought Ive free banking for keeping a minimum amount? 

Jeff
    Hi jeffk 

A point of sale transaction will activate the contactless function on your Credit Card. Is it the free transaction banking you are referring to? This offer is available on the current account rather than the Credit Card, more info on page 6  here

Sincere apologies again for the phone delay trying to reach a colleague, 

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Hey Alison

Thanks for the information,I know it's only 2.50 , but it's highly annoying to be a loss over no fault of my own. Plus imagine if I took out more money, lucky it was only 20

I double checked the letter with the card and nowhere did it mention activation. I think going forward it should mention that you need to physically use the credit card/pin prior to using contactless services

I'm more annoyed over the charge then the call thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hey Alison

Thanks for the information,I know it's only 2.50 , but it's highly annoying to be a loss over no fault of my own. Plus imagine if I took out more money, lucky it was only 20

I double checked the letter with the card and nowhere did it mention activation. I think going forward it should mention that you need to physically use the credit card/pin prior to using contactless services

I'm more annoyed over the charge then the call thanks
    Hi jeffk, I’m sorry to hear this and I’ll certainly pass on your feedback to the team here. If you would like to make a complaint about any aspect of the service, please see here for details.

Please get in touch again if you need anything else, thanks.

Nicola

• Advertisement
Advertisement