Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I tell my GP I was suicidal.

• 03-02-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm a 20 year old male who's been suffering with what surely must be depression and anxiety (I'm not officially diagnosed though) for a minimum of 5 years.

Long story short, November gone I attempted to take my life. After the sudden death of loved one shortly after it put things into perspective and I'm no longer considering it, however I'm still severely depressed. I've decided to finally seek help and go to a GP.

My question is, should I tell my GP that I semi-recently attempted it? On one hand total honesty might be best. But I'm concerned they may hospitalize me or keep me under unnecessary surveillance despite the fact that I genuinely no longer see it as an option. Will telling them that I'm depressed and just seeking counselling suffice? Then just tell the therapist the full story and bypass the GP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Firstly make sure you have a GP you feel comfortable with.
    Secondly unless your GP knows the full story they cant fully treat your depression.
    They are not the enemy, they will try to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It is quite likely that the GP will ask you that question, in any case. I would say it's best to be open with him / her, in order that they can help.
    Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

HI OP.
    I can't offer you advice but I think your problem is a massive issue people have with talking to professionals about issues. Their afraid that they'll be hospitalised.
    All I can say to is I've often heard stories about people who've attempted to end their own lives or presented in A&E and they were simply sent home with a referral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Hi op
    If you're happy with your gp then being straight with h/her is the fairest and best way to help them help you.
    A good gp will ask you anyway.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Thinking about suicide does not warrant automatic hospitalisation (nor does hospitalisation stop people from taking their lives, unfortunately). The fact that you are actively seeking help in itself bars you from being involuntarily detained to a psychiatric ward, so don't worry. Absolutely be truthful with your GP and the very best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Op, please share this information with your doctor. A complete history is needed in order for him/her to understand the nature of your anxiety or depression. A history of suicidal behaviour does not lead to hospitalisation - which is always the last resort. It is far more likely that the gp will discuss medication, talking therapy (for anxiety check out a qualified CBT therapist) and referral to your community mental health team if needed. The fact that you are actively seeking help shows that you are making positive decisions. Please go and be honest. Its a brave but worthwhile step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Definitely tell them, as you said you're not considering it anymore, so pose no danger to yourself or others in that way, but you do need some help. I felt the same way and as a last resort went to my GP. I was put on a waiting list for therapy, I've now seen the therapist and finished my allocated sessions and I've never felt better. Problems don't go away completely, but I can manage and recognise my triggers so I can deal with things in a more healthy and constructive way.

Well done for taking the step you have, I wish you all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have provided similar information to GPs and doctors over the years and if it makes you feel any better, most barely batted an eyelid. So please don't be afraid to tell your doctor especially as you have a newfound perspective on suicidal feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 annaindundalk

I've been in a similar situation. No you don't need to go into that detail with your gp. Request counseling from your gp and he will direct you to a counseling centre. Your counselor can prescribe you medication if she/he thinks you need it. You can comfortably say everything to your counselor and tell them about your suicidal feelings. They will not hospitalize you. No way. Don't worry at all about that. Counseling is a great thing. I'm done now with it and I feel much more confident than before. All the best and take care. xo

I've been in a similar situation. No you don't need to go into that detail with your gp. Request counseling from your gp and he will direct you to a counseling centre. Your counselor can prescribe you medication if she/he thinks you need it. You can comfortably say everything to your counselor and tell them about your suicidal feelings. They will not hospitalize you. No way. Don't worry at all about that. Counseling is a great thing. I'm done now with it and I feel much more confident than before. All the best and take care. xo

Only a qualified doctor can prescribe medication. The overwhelming major of counsellors cannot prescribe. You either attended a psychiatrist or a rare counsellor with a medical degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm delighted for you that you found that process a help, but you absolutely cannot turn that into telling people that they should keep things from their GP and you cannot decide that the process that worked for you is the one for the OP.

OP, it's brilliant that you have decided to talk to someone, don't let any post here stop you from doing that and being honest. Besides your GP, there is also a sticky thread at the top of this page with links and numbers you can contact yourself for any support you feel you might need.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A counsellor, depending on their background, could recommend a specific type of medication and your GP surgery would then write up the prescription. I hope you have been to your GP at this stage. Often taking that first step and saying the stuff out loud is the most intimidating part. But what you really need to understand is doctors deal with this daily. It's incredibly likely that at least one other person in the waiting room with you will be there for similar reasons to you.

Nothing you will say to your doctor will shock him. And by talking to you now he will gauge your mood and general well-being and know what is the best course to take. Hospitalisation isn't the only option. And usually it is only an option if a person clearly is am immediate threat to themselves, or if after all other avenues have been explored at length a hospital stay is the only other option. It's not usually a first option.

Take care of yourself. There are loads of different types of help and supports available to you. It might take a bit of time to find what works for you, but you will find help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

100% go to your GP put everything , absolutely everything on the table ... its not easy , but it will be the best decision you ever make.

Been there done that OP , you can 100% get out the other side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its better for someone to know but i have to say that it can have huge repercussions down the road for insurance purposes - i saw it myself. Mental Health issues till carry a huge weight in this country - its all about telling people/asking for help at the moment but down the line it can shoot you in the foot.

You sound like you have a good handle on things. You can ask your gp for advice but i dont think you need to go into minute detail if you dont want to.

Above all you need to look after yourself and find a gp you trust. What you choose to tell them is up to you. Have you spoken to a friend/family member about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 annaindundalk

That's not what I was told by my gp. He asked me if I wanted medication and I said I don't know.,I'll try counseling. My gp told me that my counselor could give me the prescription also. A gp is a gp. A counselor is a counselor. It's understandable how it's easier talking to a counselor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Of course counsellors cannot prescribe medication. This is inappropriate advice and just plain wrong. Also, for some people, medication is indicated and will take precedence initially over psychological treatment.

Annaindundalk and BBC, just to clarify again, only a qualified doctor can recommend or prescribe medication. A GP would never accept a recommendation for a medication from a counsellor - as it is not as simple as just writing the script, the patient's health needs to be evaluated for underlying health conditions, prior history, checks to ensure new meds don't interact with existing prescriptions etc. A psychiatrist can prescribe as he/she is a qualified doctor. That's it. There is absolutely no reason for the OP to withhold information from their GP and to suggest that the OP should or could feeds into stigma around discussing mental health issues.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My husband sees a counsellor, who is a psychiatric nurse, through the HSE. From talking to my husband and spending time discussing everything surrounding his mental health with him he had suggested medications that might suit my husband better than what he had been on. He told my husband he couldn't prescribe but to discuss it with his GP. He wrote the name and dosage on headed paper, which my husband brought to the GP who then wrote it on a script!

Now obviously, the GP had the final say on whether or not my husband would be prescribed it, but he walked out of the surgery with a script for exactly what the counsellor/psychiatric nurse had suggested to him. He sees a psychiatrist occasionally then who assess whether or not he can increase or decrease the dose according to how my husband has been feeling.

My husband sees a counsellor, who is a psychiatric nurse, through the HSE. From talking to my husband and spending time discussing everything surrounding his mental health with him he had suggested medications that might suit my husband better than what he had been on. He told my husband he couldn't prescribe but to discuss it with his GP. He wrote the name and dosage on headed paper, which my husband brought to the GP who then wrote it on a script!

Now obviously, the GP had the final say on whether or not my husband would be prescribed it, but he walked out of the surgery with a script for exactly what the counsellor/psychiatric nurse had suggested to him. He sees a psychiatrist occasionally then who assess whether or not he can increase or decrease the dose according to how my husband has been feeling.

That was my original point. Being referred to psychiatry team is not a referral to a counselling service. It is a referral to a full mental health team under the supervision of a qualified doctor (psychiatrist). Nurse input/advice is supervised by the treating psychiatrist who is ultimately responsible for your husband's care. Referral to psych gives access to talking therapy (counselling) and medical input (prescribing) via doctor only. It might seem as though a nurse suggested a medication and the GP followed the advice, but prior to even beginning to work with your husband, the psychiatry team would have received a medical referral letter from the GP, with your husband's full medical background/medication history, his case would have been discussed with the treating psychiatrist before the nurse gave that advice and the Gp still would have reviewed his case before writing the script. The overwhelming majority of counsellors are not attached to a psychiatrist or treating doctor and are not qualified to 'recommend' medication. The reason I am being so pedantic about this is because this thread gives the impression that counsellors can recommend medications and GPs will respond accordingly. The GP can decide if the Op needs referral to a counselling service or to a psychiatry service, the GPs decision is based upon what the Op tells them and history of suicidal ideation is important to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Go to a doctor who you are comfortable with and be completely honest with them. They can and will help you, and it's the best thing you can do. You are ill and you can be healed, but you need to commit to getting help and not try to hide from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement