Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armagh 5km 16/02/17

Options
  • 03-02-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭

As one of the most competitive and fastest road races in the world nears, it's absence on this forum is an odd one. Every year the Armagh 5km gathers a top-class field alongside the fantastic opportunity for any sub 17 minute runner to toe the line beside the 13.xx minute runners. Just have a look at the lineup below. It's withdoubt the best quality running race in Ireland. The 3km is equally as loaded, with quality littered throughout.

The men's entries includes 18 runners with sub 14 minute personal bests and over 100 runners with sub 15 minute times to their name.

Men's 5KM

Charlie Hulson 13.43 5k (2016 winner)
    Jonny Davies 13.23 5k
    Krystian Zalewski 8.17 3k steeple Poland
    Brendan Doghty 13.39 5k USA
    Jonny Crain 13.53 5k USA
    Jordan Mann 13.53 5k USA
    Shane Quinn 13.53 5k Ireland
    Matt Bergin 13.54
    Jake weightman 3.54 mile Scotland
    Artuu Vattulainen 13.53 Finland
    Dewi Griffiths 13.53 Wales
    John Beattie 13.42
    Jake Shelly 13.46

Women's 3KM

Kerry O'Flaherty 9.09 steeple PB and Irish Olympian
    Laura Weightman 8.43 3k
    Laura Whittle 8.51 3k/ 15.08 5k
    Jess Judd 9.00
    Rosie Clarke 9.10
    Sarah Inglis 9.04
    Stephanie Pennycook 9.04
    Melissa Courtney 9.03

*facebook post

The course, 4.75 laps for the 5km and 2.75 laps for the 3km of The Mall, provides a fast and flat course.

5q4w.jpg

Best of luck to everyone competing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Who's doing it from around here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Singer wrote: »
    Who's doing it from around here?

Hoping to make the trip up myself, Definitely not 5k race sharp but hoping the field will drag me along to a solid time and atleast around the 16.30's I been hovering the last two years (would bode well for later in the season)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

As one of the most competitive and fastest road races in the world nears, it's absence on this forum is an odd one. Every year the Armagh 5km gathers a top-class field alongside the fantastic opportunity for any sub 17 minute runner to toe the line beside the 13.xx minute runners. Just have a look at the lineup below. It's without doubt the best quality running race in Ireland. The 3km is equally as loaded, with quality littered throughout.

The men's entries includes 18 runners with sub 14 minute personal bests and over 100 runners with sub 15 minute times to their name.

Men's 5KM

Charlie Hulson 13.43 5k (2016 winner)
    Jonny Davies 13.23 5k
    Krystian Zalewski 8.17 3k steeple Poland
    Brendan Doghty 13.39 5k USA
    Jonny Crain 13.53 5k USA
    Jordan Mann 13.53 5k USA
    Shane Quinn 13.53 5k Ireland
    Matt Bergin 13.54
    Jake weightman 3.54 mile Scotland
    Artuu Vattulainen 13.53 Finland
    Dewi Griffiths 13.53 Wales
    John Beattie 13.42
    Jake Shelly 13.46

Women's 3KM

Kerry O'Flaherty 9.09 steeple PB and Irish Olympian
    Laura Weightman 8.43 3k
    Laura Whittle 8.51 3k/ 15.08 5k
    Jess Judd 9.00
    Rosie Clarke 9.10
    Sarah Inglis 9.04
    Stephanie Pennycook 9.04
    Melissa Courtney 9.03

*facebook post

The course, 4.75 laps for the 5km and 2.75 laps for the 3km of The Mall, provides a fast and flat course.

5q4w.jpg

Best of luck to everyone competing.

Maybe it's because there aren't so many of the faster Boardsies posting as much as they used to? (those that are still active here)

Those are serious numbers all right. Agree with the second quote (with a tiny FYP).

Good luck to all from here heading North.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm heading up for my second year and really looking forward to it. Was happy enough with my 107th place finish last year, but hoping to move up a few spots this year and try and get close to my PB, though I'm in the middle of marathon training, so it's a big ask. If you're going to run a good 5k though, this is certainly the place to do it. Incredible race experience. If you're of two minds - just do it. Doesn't matter how your race goes - for many of us it will be the pinnacle of competitive racing we will get to participate in, so a life experience not to be missed.

Not strange not to see too much banter on the forum. It is after all a race with around 100-150 participants, where registration has closed some time ago. Usually gets some mentions after the race is over, when the results are posted. It's a great spectator event too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Not strange not to see too much banter on the forum. It is after all a race with around 100-150 participants, where registration has closed some time ago. Usually gets some mentions after the race is over, when the results are posted. It's a great spectator event too though.

Yeah, agreed about participation levels being a reason but also interested in the fact a lot of people have never heard of the race! I think the first time I saw it mentioned was on letsrun a number of years ago. I clicked on the link expecting to see Armagh, Kentucky or some other far flung place! Couldn't believe it was only 90 minutes up the road from me.

One for next year for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Hope to target this one at some point. For the men's 5k, are there any other restrictions /quotas / lottery applied to entries, other than the qualifying time? Do they have a cap /ever hit the cap on the number of allowed entries? And about what time of year has registration typically closed?

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Hope to target this one at some point. For the men's 5k, are there any other restrictions /quotas / lottery applied to entries, other than the qualifying time? Do they have a cap /ever hit the cap on the number of allowed entries? And about what time of year has registration typically closed?

Opened the start of December and closed the late Jan (20th I think this year) IIRC. NO other restrictions simply email organiser with times and will be given individual entry code to register.

Never seen a cap on this race to be honest (130 finishers last year so I imagine that it would be a while before we see enough sub 17 runners willing to make trip on a weekday night)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

whats the qualifying time for burds/ladies...(or is it sexist to assume that women are slower than men)

(apoligies,re read initial first post re sub 17 for ANY runner)

UM1 wrote: »
    whats the qualifying time for burds/ladies...(or is it sexist to assume that women are slower than men)

(apoligies,re read initial first post re sub 17 for ANY runner)

I don't think there is an entry standard for the women's 3k to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Heading up to Armagh for the open 3km. Done the 3km last year and it's a fantastic experience to run the 3km but it's also a great spectator experience to see the 5km with the sheer quality of the field. Great atmosphere too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Heading up to Armagh for the open 3km. Done the 3km last year and it's a fantastic experience to run the 3km but it's also a great spectator experience to see the 5km with the sheer quality of the field. Great atmosphere too!

Son running the 3k too, we have never been up before but am told it's a great night's racing and as said above, an unreal atmosphere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I need this race in my life, the atmosphere and competitiveness looks insane on video nevermind what it would be like to run in, hopefully someday.

The field looks class, the Carlsbad of Europe. Best of luck to all the Boardsies running, have a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Preview of the meet, starts are gonna be fun with over 200 in them:eek::eek:

http://www.nirunning.co.uk/news

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

raiders11 wrote: »
    Preview of the meet, starts are gonna be fun with over 200 in them:eek::eek:

http://www.nirunning.co.uk/news
    The terror is well and truly settling in. Nothing quite like the adrenaline rush you get from being completely out of your depth. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The terror is well and truly settling in. Nothing quite like the adrenaline rush you get from being completely out of your depth. :)

Best of luck! Is it live streamed at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

youngrun wrote: »
    Best of luck! Is it live streamed at all?

NI Orienteer streaming it live via there Facebook page from 8pm starting with Ladies 3k followed at 8.20pm by Men's 5k.

5.31 for first 2k!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

That was cracking stuff. Some finish!

78 men under 15 mins, some clipping!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

152 under 16mins! Krusty in at 15.51.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Seems like it would be well worth the trip, if you fulfil the entry criteria. Serious racing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Looks like some race to bring you down to earth!

A pb would have seen me beaten for second last by ten seconds :D

Advertisement