Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car to yield to bikes on foothpaths!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

We're on a cycling forum, do keep up, I'm trying to make it relevant to myself and the wider audience here.

Anyway, I think we've established that the best way to think about these awards is - if it was me, would I be happy to just suck up the pain, inconvenience, long term loss of enjoyment of leisure activities and possibly long term repercussions and accept the bare minimum of medical expenses and wages lost (if even that!) just to knock a cent off everyones insurance?

We've also established just how relevant/comparable your example is in this context.

Probably best to leave it there? The more truth I post the more I get myself in trouble unfortunately!

I'm not buying any of what you're selling. Go check out insurance rates in France, the difference is not a few cent, it's monumental, so too is the difference in payouts.

You can't compare it with cycling because that would require a different type of injury. That's why it's a moot point. Keep up.

Lastly, and I've nothing further to add beyond this comment.

Taken from a stupid article but it contains a very pertinent point.

Source
    Kevin Thompson, chief executive of the organisation said at the moment awards for whiplash in Ireland average € 15,000 per case compared with € 5,000 in the UK and € 3,000 in France and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Saw a car (Possibly a Peugeot 3008) parked up here about 17:40 - 18:00 last night in rush hour traffic:

Where is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Arbitrary wrote: »
    I'm not buying any of what you're selling. Go check out insurance rates in France, the difference is not a few cent, it's monumental, so too is the difference in payouts.

You can't compare it with cycling because that would require a different type of injury. That's why it's a moot point. Keep up.

Lastly, and I've nothing further to add beyond this comment.

Taken from a stupid article but it contains a very pertinent point.

Source

Please, for your own credibility and for the sake of having some respect for the other posters here.... STOP posting apples with kumquat comparisons.

It is a stupid article because a stupid comparison is being made and you are repeating it like it makes some kind of sense.

As you are intent on making out that an injury that would cause you to give up proper cycling would be so hugely different there could be absolutely no parallels drawn at all... are you saying that an injury of similar magnitude to yours, but sufficiently different to make you give up a different sport, would be worth a lot more or a lot less because the sport/hobby you had to give up was different .... or are you just flailing around hopelessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is this?
    Approximately here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3031916,-6.2078195,3a,75y,88.82h,76.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4mXNBVCMVlTaxhC-hyOMWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A bus about every 3 minutes for our intoxicated friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

Please, for your own credibility and for the sake of having some respect for the other posters here.... STOP posting apples with kumquat comparisons.

It is a stupid article because a stupid comparison is being made and you are repeating it like it makes some kind of sense.

As you are intent on making out that an injury that would cause you to give up proper cycling would be so hugely different there could be absolutely no parallels drawn at all... are you saying that an injury of similar magnitude to yours, but sufficiently different to make you give up a different sport, would be worth a lot more or a lot less because the sport/hobby you had to give up was different .... or are you just flailing around hopelessly?

The article highlights yet another example of a massive gulf in compensation payouts between Ireland and the rest of Europe, nothing more. :confused:

Remember the whole reason why I posted in the first place?

I get it, you feel our payouts are perfectly reasonable, that's where we disagree. I'm not going to be drawn into a discussion about if my aunt had balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Interesting judgement, and another incident highlighting the poor design and lack of safety for cyclists and pedestrians which is included in almost every Irish designated cycling paths:

cyclist-who-collided-with-a-passenger-exiting-a-bus-awarded-15k-in-damages-

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    the only conclusion that can be drawn is that he did not look in his mirror properly or at all before opening the doors
    Don't see how that is the only conclusion. My first thought was he did see the cyclist and expected them to stop. In most cases I get buses pulling in and opening doors and I believe they are fully aware I am there. I presume they will do this and do not have much of an issue.

I do have a huge issue with them pulling out randomly and letting people out, they can do this when 2-3 buses pull into a stop, so they can be really far behind. In that case at least you know there is a bus stop nearby, I have seen them do it with no bus stop in sight, usually when traffic is barely moving so people just want to walk to work instead.

rubadub wrote: »
    Don't see how that is the only conclusion. My first thought was he did see the cyclist and expected them to stop. In most cases I get buses pulling in and opening doors and I believe they are fully aware I am there. I presume they will do this and do not have much of an issue.

I guess it was the only reasonable conclusion he could come to in the case of this judgement, although I would agree that bus and taxi drivers do see cycle lane users, but just allow their passengers to alight the vehicle anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rubadub wrote: »
    Don't see how that is the only conclusion. My first thought was he did see the cyclist and expected them to stop.

I was thoroughly shocked in Krakow, Poland a while ago when I was getting off a tram which drives down the middle of the street with car lanes to either side and the cars just stopped and waited, even with a green traffic light in clear view!

passenders-boarding-a-tram-at-starowilna-in-the-kazimierz-district-fb60ha.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Interesting judgement, and another incident highlighting the poor design and lack of safety for cyclists and pedestrians which is included in almost every Irish designated cycling paths:

cyclist-who-collided-with-a-passenger-exiting-a-bus-awarded-15k-in-damages-

Same framing in the Times: "Cyclist who collided with bus passenger awarded €15,000"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/cyclist-who-collided-with-bus-passenger-awarded-15-000-1.2982217

I'm awaiting any piece which reports "cyclist knocked off bike by pedestrian". Oddly, bikes and cyclists are always colliding with things, but nobody ever seems to collide with a bike...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

buffalo wrote: »
    Same framing in the Times: "Cyclist who collided with bus passenger awarded €15,000"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/cyclist-who-collided-with-bus-passenger-awarded-15-000-1.2982217

I'm awaiting any piece which reports "cyclist knocked off bike by pedestrian". Oddly, bikes and cyclists are always colliding with things, but nobody ever seems to collide with a bike...
    While I'd agree that there's far too much biased/one-eyed reporting involved in incidents like this you are (whether knowingly or not) exaggerating a bit:
    Those are all separate incidents, and most if not all of the reporting I saw around them was phrased that way.

Media anti-cyclist bias in action, was it the Times which is well known for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

cython wrote: »
    While I'd agree that there's far too much biased/one-eyed reporting involved in incidents like this you are (whether knowingly or not) exaggerating a bit:

Those are all separate incidents, and most if not all of the reporting I saw around them was phrased that way.

None of those use the word collision in the headline though. :confused: Let's look at the reports themselves...
    Summerhill Parade/ Nth Circular Rd jct avoid due to traffic collision.
    Neutral.
    The 13-year-old was injured in a collision which took place around the Drogheda-Slane road shortly after 8.30pm on Sunday.
    Neutral as well.
    Last week, an 11-year-old boy died following a collision with a car while he was cycling to school outside his home town of Moate, Co Westmeath.

Maybe this belongs in the journalism thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

None of those use the word collision in the headline though. :confused: Let's look at the reports themselves...

Neutral.

Neutral as well.

Maybe this belongs in the journalism thread...

To be fair, that's rather pedantic. For the first example you quote, that is a Garda tweet, and it's a more efficient wording to fit into 140 chars than say "due to truck colliding with bike".

If you look at your second example, immediately before what you quoted:
    A teenage boy was in a critical condition after being hit by a car on the same stretch of road where a man was killed a fortnight ago.

The 13-year-old was injured in a collision which took place around the Drogheda-Slane road shortly after 8.30pm on Sunday.

Were they to phrase the second paragraph more explicitly/in line with the first, then they would basically be writing the same thing.

On the third, once again this may be as much varying the phrasing as anything else if you again look at the paragraph immediately below your quote:
    Last week, an 11-year-old boy died following a collision with a car while he was cycling to school outside his home town of Moate, Co Westmeath.

A 13-year-old boy who was hit by a car while cycling in Drogheda last month died from his injuries in hospital.

Bear in mind that people who write copy for a living probably want to show that they have more than one phrasing of something, regardless of whether it may lessen the intent.

Perhaps you take specific issue with the fact that none of these say that the vehicle "collided with" the cyclist, and that is your prerogative, but in most people's vocabulary I would imagine being "hit by" and being "collided with" are reasonably interchangeable.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying either, but it strikes me a bit as splitting hairs/looking for something to take issue with about if it is simply the failure to use the word "collide" in it's active form.

Anyway, as you say, probably more for the journalism thread, but on the face of it your claim didn't make sense without excluding synonyms

Advertisement