Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifying an apartment.

Options
  • 03-02-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi
    looking for opinions on weather I can make modifications to my apartment. I currently own a two bed ground floor apartment with its own seperate enterance, there are 6 apartments in the block. Due to ongoing health issues I will need to begin using a wheelchair some time in the next year or so. I'm currently renovating the bathroom to make it more suitable for my needs. However what I will really need is a ramp from my front door to the path as there is a single step into the apartment. Can I put in a ramp on the path considering I don't own anything outside the front door, do I need permission from the management company and can they refuse permission. Hoping someone has had similar issues before and can advise me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Have you asked the Local Authoritiy are there grants available for modifying your bathroom and installing the ramp.

I would think you need to let the management know what you are proposing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

you should inform Management company. I would be astonished if they refused and if they do you should ask them to reconsider before you go the the media (talk to joe) and consult a solicitor. If they have any sense at all they would withdraw their objection at that point, in the very unlikely event they object in the first place.

Management company may wish to install the ramp themselves rather than having you do it. If so ask to be consulted on the design/shape etc..

edit: hope your health difficulties go as well as possible and outdo your expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Thanks for the replies and support everybody. I have looked at getting a grant from the county council but my income is over the limit so thats a no go. I never considered a removable ramp so i'll have a look at them and see will one be suitable for me. The apartment is around 12 years old and I'm not aware of any laws about accesability back then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Hi
    looking for opinions on weather I can make modifications to my apartment. I currently own a two bed ground floor apartment with its own seperate enterance, there are 6 apartments in the block. Due to ongoing health issues I will need to begin using a wheelchair some time in the next year or so. I'm currently renovating the bathroom to make it more suitable for my needs. However what I will really need is a ramp from my front door to the path as there is a single step into the apartment. Can I put in a ramp on the path considering I don't own anything outside the front door, do I need permission from the management company and can they refuse permission. Hoping someone has had similar issues before and can advise me.

I would say yes to the bathroom, but the path to the front door is Management Company property and would need their approval.

If they say yes, no Planning would be required.

You will have Public Liability obligations during the course of the works etc so best to tie in the MC from an early stage as they may insist on ho does the work. You may also need a Chartered Engineer or an Architect on board to offer supervision of the works.
    mickmac76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and support everybody. I have looked at getting a grant from the county council but my income is over the limit so thats a no go. I never considered a removable ramp so i'll have a look at them and see will one be suitable for me. The apartment is around 12 years old and I'm not aware of any laws about accesability back then.

TGD Part M was in force back then, although not as strict as it is now. Nowadays, a Disability Access certificate would have been required. You would have to check the details of Part M that was in force at the start of construction. The current one is 2010 edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You definitely need to talk to your management company. You can't just go and install a ramp, since the outside structure is actually common area.

I would be very surprised if they have any issues or objections.

But, either they will have to do it, or they will need to fully approve of your plans.

Give them a call about it, and then follow up with a letter, giving the reasons (no need for specific details), and what you need to have done. I'm sure they will work with you to get it all sorted.

Advertisement