Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on learner permit

Options
  • 03-02-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I have moved to Ireland 14 months before and have learner's license since 12-Oct-2016. I have given deposit for a passat-2012 (SE Tech TDI BMT, 2.0). Now, I started to ring insurance brokers to get quotes. The issue I am facing currently is, almost all brokers and companies have declined to provide any quotes. Some brokers have came back with superficial quotes of 7K euros for cars like toyota priyus (value of 9K euros).

Are the conditions for new drivers really that bad? Or, am I missing something here. What should be ideal for me to target in this situation? Any pointers/suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,
    Prateek

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hi,

I have moved to Ireland 14 months before and have learner's license since 12-Oct-2016. I have given deposit for a passat-2012 (SE Tech TDI BMT, 2.0). Now, I started to ring insurance brokers to get quotes. The issue I am facing currently is, almost all brokers and companies have declined to provide any quotes. Some brokers have came back with superficial quotes of 7K euros for cars like toyota priyus (value of 9K euros).

Are the conditions for new drivers really that bad? Or, am I missing something here. What should be ideal for me to target in this situation? Any pointers/suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,
    Prateek

Its always been very hard to get a car in your own name on a provisional only. Id say try to get the test and full licence as soon as you can. Expect insurance after your test with no experience to be 2-3k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

And a 2 Liter car is probably out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 prateekjainaa

That's ridiculous, I have full Indian driving license; which none of these companies recognize. All this seems like nexus of insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Non-EU driving licences are meaningless here

the only instance where your indian driving licence is recognised in any way is when you apply for an international driving permit in india to drive in countries who have signed the 1926 or 1949 UN Convention on road traffic.
    You may drive in Ireland for the duration of a temporary visit (up to 12 months) holding an IDP
    You can not apply for an IDP in ireland with an indian licence only from your home country.

Advertisement