Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 9 | Rock In The Road [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 03-02-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

The Walking Dead - Season 7

Episode 9 - "Rock In The Road"

Airdate - February 12th on AMC at 9/8c | February 13th on FOX UK at 9PM

*This is an extended 73 minute episode, including commercials.
    Rick and the others are led to a new community, where they meet the residents and their ruler.

Promo

Extended Promo

Sneak Peek

How did you rate this episode? 95 votes

0%
    4%
    claivarobertpattersonhot buttered sconesDontThankMe 4 votes
    3%
    white applesdubsontourD0NNELLY 3 votes
    31%
    geeceeMc Love5starpoolNUTZZskipper_GkilkennykittenAlso Starring LeVar BurtonprincemuzzyGavRedKingPirateShampooSubacioriceroebbsydr.kenneth noisewatersnowgalbrianregan09OmackeralRoger Hassenforderbrijaycoolisin 30 votes
    22%
    storkerEvd-Burnergoose06YakultMr Velotomred1camposilvervixen84steviebgrednogginLandoCalrissianCraven99Mr. TTimeRothkodavo2001Mike Tobacco[Deleted User]topmanamillionD9Malestronglikebull 21 votes
    20%
    Rob30888frashShaneUDarth Melkorwinston82thfcemdirtydenNufcNavanShane St.Austin1Casey78WailinGuffyJohn_D80Foreign SportscrustyblaFox HounddicanioJingo.PaGe 19 votes
    9%
    La_GordyneonmanHazysHande hoche!mojesiusirish_stevo815MonifeCracklealchemist33 9 votes
    5%
    Lone Stonecmac20098mvPete MossFroshtbit 5 votes
    2%
    Shorty69664Muirshin Durkin 2 votes
    2%
    Mr.Nice GuyRoryMac 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

New promo;

Producer Greg Nicotero on episode 9;
    “I’m very excited,” said Nicotero. “I think episode nine is one of the best of the season, by far, in terms of storytelling, in terms of performances, in terms of audience expectations of seeing the band back together and putting our group back on their feet again. It’s very exciting and quite a bit of fun, and the season builds and builds up to an absolutely thrilling finale.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Being the best of the season wouldn't be too hard - it's only got competition from eps 1 and 8. I hope we don't get a long lull between the first and last episodes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That came around quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So.....Was Ricks grin because he recognised somebody in the horde pointing their guns at them?

Or was it because he knows that whoever they are, they can help defeat the Saviors?

Hmmm.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Kirby wrote: »
    So.....Was Ricks grin because he recognised somebody in the horde pointing their guns at them?

Or was it because he knows that whoever they are, they can help defeat the Saviors?

Hmmm.......

Has to be Jesus' mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Kirby wrote: »

Hmmm.......

Was wondering the same I suppose it could be he knows he has found a new ally.
    I presume Gabriel some how found out about them and gave them food to help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I enjoyed it.
    Bit the cars taking out loads of walkers was cool.

Think Rick was smiling because there's more people to help beat the saviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Best episode of the season, which wouldn't really be hard to be honest. I assume his smirk was he saw a potential army he could use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tvnutz wrote: »
    Best episode of the season, which wouldn't really be hard to be honest. I assume his smirk was he saw a potential army he could use.

thats what i thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Surely that was carol covered up at the end pointing the rifle. Same rifle she was carrying in the woods earlier.

How she came to be matey with Tara's lesbian troop is another question.. Though it would answer why she wants nothing to do with the kingdom&alexqndria if shes skulking off to them every now and then and doesn't want kingdom/hilltop/Alexandria to know....

flashback episode next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Surely that was carol covered up at the end pointing the rifle. Same rifle she was carrying in the woods earlier.

How she came to be matey with Tara's lesbian troop is another question.. Though it would answer why she wants nothing to do with the kingdom&alexqndria if shes skulking off to them every now and then and doesn't want kingdom/hilltop/Alexandria to know....

flashback episode next?
    i thought there were men amongst them
    thatys not carol unless shres wearing a wig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

definitely men in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm 16 minutes into this episode. Not sure I can take much more of this. This scene with Ezequiel is f*cking wretched. They've totally lost their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ezekiel's wig tho....

I'm going to spoiler this just to be sure, even though I wouldn't really consider it a spoiler.

In relation to the group at the end of the episode, producer Greg Nicetero and Andrew Lincoln said this in an interview;
    "Very quickly, we get introduced to a new group and Rick has to think very much on his feet as to how to deal with this unique community because it's not like any other community he's met before," Lincoln said.

As for whether or not they are friend or foe, Lincoln is reluctant to admit with absolute certainty. He does tease, however, that we will "find out very quickly."

Nicotero, on the other hand, was more revealing in his description of this new group. "Of course the end of the episode, when they get surrounded, and Rick smiles," Nicotero said. "He's smiling because there's his army. However you cut it, he's gonna make sure that those people are on his side."

I'm sure most people missed this in the opening scene...the second figure that pops up in the passenger/back seat of the car as Gabriel drives away...
    (turn the brightness up! :pac:)

C4hKW8HUEAAROoR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I struggled through the rest of that episode and while it did finish better than it started, that has to rank as one of the worst episodes I've ever seen. The first 45 minutes or so...abysmal. For a returning show, albeit mid-season, it was a deep disappointment.

We start off with Rick and the gang trying to pressure Gregory into supporting him. I love how Rick has been scared of his shadow for most of this season but now that he's decided to take a stand he expects everyone else to follow suit. The people he did get to support him though...could that scene have been more phony? "Enid says you can show us the way, so we’re willing to entrust our lives in the hands of all of you, who we barely know, on the advice of this teenager as you confront those ruthless murderers." Rick must be delighted. With so many peripheral extras he might make it through the big battle ahead without losing any of his people.

We had a scene about ten minutes in where a walker was lying against a wall: literally background scenery. Had to be a joke at the audience's expense.

The King Ezequiel stuff - just woeful. First we have the guy on horseback speaking like he's from Westeros which was bad enough, but that scene where they meet the 'king': has to be a contender for worst scene in the history of the show. I was waiting for Rick to say can we cut the cosplay sh*t and get down to some real talk here. That's what we have: a f*cking apocalypse with a dude playing cosplay. And let's remind ourselves that this is a part of America that today would be considered Trump country. I'm supposed to believe that Americans here have decided to get behind a black guy pretending to be a British king from a few centuries ago? It's bullsh*t, even without the CGI tiger. Even the actors are embarrassed by this crap. And rightly so. It's a damn tragedy that Shane is no longer on this show just so he can laugh at the absurdity of all this.

'I invite you all to sup with us', 'I shall deliver my decree in the morn.' Dude, it's a f*cking zombie apocalypse can you drop the cosplay for just 5 minutes please? People are dying while you do your King Booker WWE shtick.

Then we have more absurdity, Carol - the former housewife who went on to become a Solid Snake style assassin - runs into a guy ironically dressed like Snake. She gives him advice: 'heel, toe, heel, toe, keep quiet.' I heard you sneak up on me she says. Oh yeah, where'd you learn those skills, Carol? In 'Nam? Where you there? Funny I thought you were a former battered housewife like I saw in season one.

Then more absurdity late on as Rosita conveniently reveals her bomb disposal skills. Man, that's convenient. Maybe Carol taught her over a coffee.

It took us 45 minutes to get some walkers that posed any sort of threat, but the threat turned out to be minimal. The scene with the wire looked too far-fetched to be taken seriously and even when Rick and Michonne were surrounded by them, you never felt like they were in danger. The walkers are now just part of the furniture while we play out the increasingly ludicrous and boring political intrigue. Which band of crazies will reign supreme? Do you care?

As I said, things picked up near the end a little. Simon as I mentioned a few episodes back seems to be one of the few villains that can exude a genuine air of menace. I like him when he's in scenes. I'd have rated this episode a 1 without his involvement. The cliffhanger at the end was fine.

Overall though this was just a terrible episode of television with moments of stupidity that would be unforgivable in an amateur dramatics production. The fact that a TV show on a significant channel can turn out this sort of pap is mind-boggling. And judging by this thread, which is deader than the career of the actor who plays Carl once this show ends, it seems fan patience is wearing thin.

2/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I struggled through the rest of that episode and while it did finish better than it started, that has to rank as one of the worst episodes I've ever seen. The first 45 minutes or so...abysmal. For a returning show, albeit mid-season, it was a deep disappointment.

We start off with Rick and the gang trying to pressure Gregory into supporting him. I love how Rick has been scared of his shadow for most of this season but now that he's decided to take a stand he expects everyone else to follow suit. The people he did get to support him though...could that scene have been more phony? "Enid says you can show us the way, so we’re willing to entrust our lives in the hands of all of you, who we barely know, on the advice of this teenager as you confront those ruthless murderers." Rick must be delighted. With so many peripheral extras he might make it through the big battle ahead without losing any of his people.

We had a scene about ten minutes in where a walker was lying against a wall: literally background scenery. Had to be a joke at the audience's expense.

The King Ezequiel stuff - just woeful. First we have the guy on horseback speaking like he's from Westeros which was bad enough, but that scene where they meet the 'king': has to be a contender for worst scene in the history of the show. I was waiting for Rick to say can we cut the cosplay sh*t and get down to some real talk here. That's what we have: a f*cking apocalypse with a dude playing cosplay. And let's remind ourselves that this is a part of America that today would be considered Trump country. I'm supposed to believe that Americans here have decided to get behind a black guy pretending to be a British king from a few centuries ago? It's bullsh*t, even without the CGI tiger. Even the actors are embarrassed by this crap. And rightly so. It's a damn tragedy that Shane is no longer on this show just so he can laugh at the absurdity of all this.

'I invite you all to sup with us', 'I shall deliver my decree in the morn.' Dude, it's a f*cking zombie apocalypse can you drop the cosplay for just 5 minutes please? People are dying while you do your King Booker WWE shtick.

Then we have more absurdity, Carol - the former housewife who went on to become a Solid Snake style assassin - runs into a guy ironically dressed like Snake. She gives him advice: 'heel, toe, heel, toe, keep quiet.' I heard you sneak up on me she says. Oh yeah, where'd you learn those skills, Carol? In 'Nam? Where you there? Funny I thought you were a former battered housewife like I saw in season one.

Then more absurdity late on as Rosita conveniently reveals her bomb disposal skills. Man, that's convenient. Maybe Carol taught her over a coffee.

It took us 45 minutes to get some walkers that posed any sort of threat, but the threat turned out to be minimal. The scene with the wire looked too far-fetched to be taken seriously and even when Rick and Michonne were surrounded by them, you never felt like they were in danger. The walkers are now just part of the furniture while we play out the increasingly ludicrous and boring political intrigue. Which band of crazies will reign supreme? Do you care?

As I said, things picked up near the end a little. Simon as I mentioned a few episodes back seems to be one of the few villains that can exude a genuine air of menace. I like him when he's in scenes. I'd have rated this episode a 1 without his involvement. The cliffhanger at the end was fine.

Overall though this was just a terrible episode of television with moments of stupidity that would be unforgivable in an amateur dramatics production. The fact that a TV show on a significant channel can turn out this sort of pap is mind-boggling. And judging by this thread, which is deader than the career of the actor who plays Carl once this show ends, it seems fan patience is wearing thin.

2/10.

She was in the army so I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say she has skills like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Not a bad episode but not great either. I actually prefer Simon over Negan I find him more menacing and interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Okay so they moved all the cars.... No steering issues so assume keys were in them?

So why did they then have to hot wire them??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

DakarVert wrote: »
    Okay so they moved all the cars.... No steering issues so assume keys were in them?

just have to presume they they were all left unlocked from when they were moved into that formation previously

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Enjoyable enough first episode back (though not as gory as usual) but the first episode back after a break is usually decent. It's the the middle stretch of episodes that usually drag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

DakarVert wrote: »

Steering locks are easily broken.. (so I've heard!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Hard to think of who it could be that Rick knows... people who've left that I can think of...

Gabriel, - most obviously
    Carol,- rick etc dont know where she is
    Heath, - we dont know he died for sure.

Two from series 1... Guillermo from the nursing home, and the guy who went to Birmingham with family, can't remember his name

So possibly its just a new group whom he reckons he can get to help.

Wait, the cars in the road block were being moved by shunting and pushing - they weren't hotwired.

The cars that were hotwired were the two that Rick and Michonne drove with the cable to mow the Z's - and they drove in a straight line.

Oh yes, that absolutely ridiculous "Checkov's Bible" that...wasn't.

Gabe reads his bible, gets inspiration, cleans out the pantry and leaves his bible down, face down open on a page.

Rick comes back "He left his bible on the floor!", picks it up and keeps his finger in the place where Gabe had it open, looks through it.

Then....nothing.

A scrawled "B O A T" in the inventory book.

What?

...and finally

Young Richard is going to die, and be the reason King Ezekiel changes his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

The whole king thing is pretty awful in fairness...Its actually cringe watching it....I think Negan will put a stop to the kings make believe once he bashes a few skulls...
    Somebody mentioned above about wishing Shane was still here to laugh at the ****e talk that was coming out of the King.,....I totally agree with that....King is by far the worst character in the whole show, and maybe the history of the walking dead, This show is so far removed from season 1 and the writers have lost the plot,...this show is on the verge of getting cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Fox Hound wrote: »
    this show is on the verge of getting cancelled

No it is not. It was renewed for a 8th season before any of this season aired.

Advertisement