Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use earplugs? Quiet helmet recommendations

• 03-02-2017 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Ughh so annoying they keep falling out half way through my journey even if I use balaclava to keep them in place. I read that Schubert helmets are very quiet (85db at 100km/h meaning earplugs not essential) but they are incredibly unsafe according to SHARP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can't be fitting them right or else totally wrong size if falling out.

If you fit them right. They will not plausibly fall out make sure read instructions properly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

listermint wrote: »
    Can't be fitting them right or else totally wrong size if falling out.

If you fit them right. They will not plausibly fall out make sure read instructions properly

Yeah maybe the size is wrong ordered couple of different ones now just wondering how quiet you can get with just the helmet, I only had 1 helmet yet but apparently it's one of the louder ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Roll them thin and then insert. Keep your finger on them whilst they expand in your ear. Then fit helmet. I've never had ear plugs come loose. I don't think any helmet is great at stopping noise levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Roll them thin and then insert. Keep your finger on them whilst they expand in your ear. Then fit helmet. I've never had ear plugs come loose. I don't think any helmet is great at stopping noise levels.

I will try this technique, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Johnboner wrote: »
    Yeah maybe the size is wrong ordered couple of different ones now just wondering how quiet you can get with just the helmet, I only had 1 helmet yet but apparently it's one of the louder ones.

Some better than others.

Depends on your bike too.

Shoei I've found are superb Qwest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

custom fit earplugs are the best...check out ebay..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

I used to bulk buy on amazon for ages, use once or twice and bin. I bought Crescendo reusable ear plugs now, swear by them, best ones I've used to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

laser lites from amazon is what I use. Cheap and comfortable from my experience.

roll them up between thumb and index finger, put your other hand over your head and pull your ear up, insert the plug deep into your ear but keep the plug pinched from the outside while it expands (so don't push it in with the tip of your finger..)

when removing do the same, pull your ear up and pinch and twist the plug on the way out and do it slowly

Don't just push them into your ears, they won't seal properly. And don't push them too deeply, but it will feel strange the first time you insert them properly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Stiletto72

A custom set of plugs is the way to go. They are expensive but they always fit and if treated properly they will last years. I had a set of Ultimate Ear jobs for about 8 years and got a new set from Mercury Hearing at the NEC last year.
    I have a Schuberth C3 Pro too so it's a lot quieter and much more bearable on long runs.

Advertisement