Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Private Health Insurance premium arrived. Options??

• 03-02-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My VHI is due for renewal on 01 March. Renewal for 2 adult plus 2 adult children in 3td level education canne in at €3450. That's up 10% on last year

Is 10% the norm?? I have had no claims in last 5 years???

Also... Any recommendations/ plans I should look out for on VHI for 2017???

As myself and wife are over 50 yrs..... Is it easy to change providers and maintain cover without waiting periods kicking in???

Will have to do something as premium is getting out if hand..

Anyone getting good deals on renewal that tgey can share for the 2017 renewals??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Masala wrote: »
    That's up 10% on last year

Is 10% the norm?? I have had no claims in last 5 years???

Medical insurance is not like motor or household insurance, there is no concept of no claims bonuses. Developments in drugs and medical technology have meant that people are living longer which in turn means that 'medical inflation' runs faster than general inflation. This means that for the foreseeable future, your medical insurance premium will increase at a faster rate than other prices.
    As myself and wife are over 50 yrs..... Is it easy to change providers and maintain cover without waiting periods kicking in???

As long as you maintain continuous coverage (regardless of supplier), there is noting to worry about in terms of waiting periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Hi all

2 adult children in 3td level education

Also... Any recommendations/ plans I should look out for on VHI for 2017???

Anyone getting good deals on renewal that tgey can share for the 2017 renewals??

2 adult children are on same level of cover?

Private hospital over is also something to review.

Increase the amount your will pay in the event of a claim will also reduce the premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Compare Laya & Irish Life Plans with the one you are on www.hia.ie
    Very easy to move provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Call corn market they are health insurance advisors. Every year they save me money by switching plans but keeps my the same level.

http://www.cornmarket.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Cornmarket are agents for Irish Life Health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fiskar wrote: »
    Cornmarket are agents for Irish Life Health

They'll advise you on the best package, even if it means they don't get a cut. They sent my wife and 2 kids to VHI as there was a good deal. They got no commission as they advised to go direct. Myself and the little guy went to glo/ Irish life as we got a deal there.

As mentioned I switch companies every year (same level and no existing conditions so no waiting period )

Advertisement