Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why motorcycles are unpopular in western countries

2»

Comments

Johnboner wrote: »
    Very few motorcycles on the roads just don't understand why. ..........................
    1. Much faster than a car and avoid all congestions, I cut my commute time from 1.30-2 hours to 40-50 min maximum ....................

Most people don't spend as much time as you commuting so the benefit to them isn't as great.

Many people would still need a car so the savings the bike brings when used wouldn't finance the bike.

So without time benefits or cost benefits there's little appeal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Augeo wrote: »
    Most people don't spend as much time as you commuting so the benefit to them isn't as great.

Many people would still need a car so the savings the bike brings when used wouldn't finance the bike.

As with cycling, perception is more important than reality.

People think of cars are safe places (they're not) and any other mode of transportation is some of of hellish inconvenient deathtrap.

This allows us enlightened two-wheelers to benefit from cheaper, higher quality accommodation in the arse end of nowhere where the rural serenity of birds chirping and wind blowing through trees is broken only by the sound of our fruity exhaust notes.

Lumen wrote: »
    As with cycling, perception is more important than reality.

People think of cars are safe places (they're not) and any other mode of transportation is some of of hellish inconvenient deathtrap.

This allows us enlightened two-wheelers to benefit from cheaper, higher quality accommodation in the arse end of nowhere where the rural serenity of birds chirping and wind blowing through trees is broken only by the sound of our fruity exhaust notes.

I didn't mention safety ................ cost and time is reality not perception.

Your alleged cheaper, higher quality accomodation in the arse end of nowhere might appeal to you but equally mightn't appeal to others. It's debatable if living in the arse end of nowhere is advantageous. Might not suit all folk.

You're edging into claiming that motorbikes facilitate country living for commuters.

I live rural ish myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd a friend living in Adamstown and working in central Dublin. His commute by bike was usually 20-25 min. His bike was broken one week so had to bus it, took nearly 2 hours in and 2 hours out. He didn't have a car but the commute in that would have been nearly an hour, to several depending on traffic/crashes. So even though his commute wasn't that long it was massively quicker, even with having to gear up and down at either end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're edging into claiming that motorbikes facilitate country living for commuters.
    I am. There are more rural houses than rural people to live in them, and of all the people-who-don't-belong, (motor)cyclists are the most socially desirable sort since they don't clog up the roads for people that need to use four wheels (e.g. people with vans full of equipment).
    High sixes! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I didn't mention safety ................ cost and time is reality not perception.

Your alleged cheaper, higher quality accomodation in the arse end of nowhere might appeal to you but equally mightn't appeal to others. It's debatable if living in the arse end of nowhere is advantageous. Might not suit all folk.

They do accommodate commuting to Dublin or other cities. If I worked in say Google it would take me roughly an hour and ten minutes to get home in rush hour by bike (40 miles north in Co Louth). Now if I lived out in Harolds Cross and drove a car it could easily take that long to get down the canals during rush hour.

Now if I drove a car from Barrow street to my house it could take 2 hours in rush hour. My dad makes a similar journey by car when he can't use the bike and it has taken over two hours plenty of times.

Advertisement