Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407

Options
  • 04-02-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have a Peugeot 407 (1.6 diesel - 2010) since Nov 2014 (27 months). Paid €11,000 for it. I've had a good experience during that time. I've put up 180,000km since and now there is 250,000km on the clock.
    I am now faced with a maintenance bill of €2,000 for timing belt, clutch, tyres and other stuff. My question - if i put the €2,000 into it, will i get 2 more years out of her, ie, another 180,000km. Or do it trade it in and go again.

Please help :-)

Larry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would do the maintenance and keep driving. I'm sure you'll get more than 2 years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 2rocklarry

Thanks Biko. Do you reckon 400,000 km should be no problem for the 407?
    Think I'll do the maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There really is no mileage limit for a well maintained car.
    Perhaps you should check with one or two mechanics that can inspect the general condition of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The elephant in the room here for me would be the turbo.Has it ever been changed op?What kind of oil change interval have you been adhering to?These engines really need low saps oil changes regularly,they are quite a dirty engine,we have run two of these ourselves with no turbo/dpf issues,but I change the oil in them every 10,000km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I would have the injector seals checked on it too.

The sump design in them isn't ideal either,because of the drain plug location,if it were me I would see about getting the sump taken off and cleaned,there is also a little filter on the turbo oil feed that might do with a clean.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have changed the engine oil, with the appropriate oil, every 10,000 km. So i think will gamble and get the work done. I will report back in 12 months time on how the gamble paid off!!

I had a 407 and as much as I loved it, it absolutely robbed me blind, broke my heart and ate me out of house and home with electrical issues.

If you've not encountered these issues yet, it's unlikely that you will, so if it were me, personally, I'd keep it. Better the devil you know and all that (ie, you could swap it for another car, but you don't know what may or may not be wrong with the car you end up with).

The 407 is, in my opinion, a very stylish car (especially with the steel criss/cross grill it sometimes has, and the bigger wheels and spoiler.. not sure what version of it that is exactly). A very comfortable car, too, in my opinion. One of the nicer cars I've ever drove. Really smooth on the road.

Thanks KKV. I seem to be one of the lucky ones with regard to the 407. The car has driven well over the last 27 months and looks well - when i clean it!!

Advertisement