Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from IFSC

Options
  • 04-02-2017 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Ahoygins,

(...as the young people are saying these days).

Just moved office to the IFSC and have started cycling 3 mornings a week (for logistical reasons), I've basically been able to incorporate my usual pre-work spins into the commute to extend it by..well about 500%.

But in the evenings I've more or less just scuttled home along the canal cycle route as traffic and luas tracks and everything else and I feel that I'm missing out on a bit of extra mileage by not doglegging the route home.

Are there any neat and not standstill traffic filled routes for getting from IFSC back out around the other side of the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I'd recommend down the quays, left at the point depot (I refuse to call it what it is now) through the port tunnel onto the M1 and onto the M50 and then exit the m50 depending on where you live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

bazermc wrote: »
    I'd recommend down the quays, left at the point depot (I refuse to call it what it is now) through the port tunnel onto the M1 and onto the M50 and then exit the m50 depending on where you live

Seriously?! You know you replied in the cycling forum with this, and it's highly likely the poster is looking for a cycling route, i.e. not motorway! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

And it got a thank you!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Which part of the city are you trying to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Considering that I'm currently wearing the Boards cycling jacket I bought from BazerMC I'd suggest that you'll all find your bladders to be a little lighter ;-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Where do you want to go

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IFSC and other side of the city hints at southside but we really need more details.

Theres plans to add a cycle path on the point bridge isnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

jon1981 wrote: »
    And it got a thank you!!!

It was me that thanked it first. I felt a comedic effort like that deserved some love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

cython wrote: »
    Seriously?! You know you replied in the cycling forum with this, and it's highly likely the poster is looking for a cycling route, i.e. not motorway! :confused::confused:

1iyzox.jpg

Weepsie wrote: »
    Which part of the city are you trying to get to?

I'm trying go get to the Rathmines Ranelagh area but hoping for a way to add 20-30km to the 4km commute back without drowning in traffic. If that's possible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Get onto the North Circular Road, follow it all the way to the Phoenix park, do a loop and get out near Kilmainham and get onto South Circular from there I'd say.

North Circular has traffic but a lane much of the way. 5 Lamps can be annoying with people jostling for position, then pinch points before the Mater and in Phibsboro at Doyle's corner. You'd be going against the traffic at times, and with it other times I imagine.

If you're up for more, you can just keep looping the park pretty much. Last stretch of Wellington road is undergoing roadworks, I think to put a cycle track in and make it one way, but you can turn right there and leave the park, or turn left and go up "Khyber Pass" towards papal cross. It has a very mild, but continuous drag.

I recently had to cycle to Rathmines from the IFSC after work. Hated the canal. Too many people pushing ahead at the silliest times, using the pedestrians lights as their own and just bad etiquette the whole way. It should be a lot more pleasant to cycle that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

What time do you start work? Portobello - viewing point is virtually empty before 7am and you should be back home around 8, with 20+km and 350m elevation in the legs. Coming back the traffic can be heavy, but won't add more than 5min to the route. Been there done that many times :-)

Alek wrote: »
    What time do you start work? Portobello - viewing point is virtually empty before 7am and you should be back home around 8, with 20+km and 350m elevation in the legs. Coming back the traffic can be heavy, but won't add more than 5min to the route. Been there done that many times :-)

I already have pre-work squared away, it's just the return leg that feels like wasted potential

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Aaaah, completely missed that. In the afternoons laps of Phoenix Pk work for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Alek wrote: »
    Aaaah, completely missed that. In the afternoons laps of Phoenix Pk work for me :)

+1 Park. Used to live in Drimnagh and going up and down the Chapelizod bypass was also good for extra miles (though admittedly I did this evenings)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Would you consider heading over Howth and back? Off road cycle track pretty much all the way to Sutton. Probably a bit more than 30km but you could always turn back at Sutton. Lovely spin on a summer's evening.

Would you consider heading over Howth and back? Off road cycle track pretty much all the way to Sutton. Probably a bit more than 30km but you could always turn back at Sutton. Lovely spin on a summer's evening.

I'll be doing those kind of miles in the morning. Just hoping for a dogleg to draw out the journey home in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Take the Royal Canal towpath out as far as Castleknock (or further if you don't mind the dirt track in the Deep Sinking). Then head south, pick up the Grand Canal and head back in for home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Take the Royal Canal towpath out as far as Castleknock (or further if you don't mind the dirt track in the Deep Sinking). Then head south, pick up the Grand Canal and head back in for home.

Wouldn't go deep sinking on the road bike with slicks if it has been any way wet, lots of roots and mud and can be a bit unnerving on the narrow section with steep drop. Fine on a cross bike or MTB (regardless of the no cycling signs at either end).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+1 on Howth. A spin out and back is a quick win from the city center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

I already have pre-work squared away, it's just the return leg that feels like wasted potential

Hi what is your morning route looking for one my slef. Do u have it up on strava or anything

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Hi what is your morning route looking for one my slef. Do u have it up on strava or anything

Basically anywhere that gets me back to IFSC before 0830.

Playing it safe with a lot of coast road at the moment e.g. Bray and Howth when it gets brighter will go back to heading out via phoenix park towards Maynooth or Summerhill.

For late spring summer usually do Cruagh to Johnny Foxes or vice versa. Sometimes go up to the featherbeds and back.

Might throw in a bit of reverse and go up Dundrum to Glencullen and back via the coast or Cruagh.

Anything that ends on the quays brings you to a pretty straight run on IFSC with a left turn to bring you over to Connolly station.

Coming from the southside I'd take Pearse but turn off for Samuel Beckett

Advertisement