Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one newbie

Options
  • 04-02-2017 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've decided to get an Xbox one s with Fifa as its around the same price here (I'm in the Middle East on assignment) as the one with 5 games, 3 of which I have no interest in. I have some questions though....

1. Will I have any region compatibility issues when I come home?same voltage here so won't need adaptor.
    2. Can I download games based here and still be able to use them back in Ireland?
    3. Are downloads generally cheaper than bricks and mortar purchased disc games??
    4. Where do I download games from?

I'd also like guidance on what games I should go for (going to either download or get off amazon as v expensive here). I'm from the Commodore 64 generation so my criteria are as follows

- must be simple to play and get into. They must be fun!! Am married with kids so can't spend long getting familiar and into games...this is just a little side hobby!
    - no interest at all in multiplayer on line action. Single player stuff only.

So I'm looking for the following:
    - first person shooter (loved quake back in the day)
    - racing game
    -golf
    - Star Wars game (I've read battlefront doesn't have good single player which is a big disappointment)
    - fighting game
    - fighter plane game (more action than simulator)

Cheers for the steers.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

FPS - Doom
    Racing - Forza (Forza 6 if you like track racing, Horizon if you'd prefer open world)
    Golf - pretty sure Rory McIlroy is the only one
    Star Wars - Battlefront isn't a bad game I liked it, but it doesn't have a single player campaign.
    Fighting Game - Mortal Kombat or UFC (if your into UFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm from the same generation and at one point in my early 20s got out of gaming completely. Then one faithful day I was introduced to Gears of War on the Xbox 360 - there used to be a xbox place on South William St, it became quite a popular lunch time haunt. Anyway, simple control system for what looks from outside as a complicated game. There's 4 of them available now (not gonna mention the one in between), 3 of which can gotten very cheap as their 360 games but they still look very decent by today's standards.

Also, get EA Access, it's 20 quid yearly sub, latest golf, fifa, madden etc. are all in there along with a few racing games that I can't remember names of. Bargain.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    FPS - Doom
    Racing - Forza (Forza 6 if you like track racing, Horizon if you'd prefer open world)
    Golf - pretty sure Rory McIlroy is the only one
    Star Wars - Battlefront isn't a bad game I liked it, but it doesn't have a single player campaign.
    Fighting Game - Mortal Kombat or UFC (if your into UFC)

UFC, Battlefront and golf are all "free" from EA Access.
    Also, Titanfall 2 is a savage FPS that will most likely end up there in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

theteal wrote: »
    UFC, Battlefront and golf are all "free" from EA Access.
    Also, Titanfall 2 is a savage FPS that will most likely end up there in the coming months

Interesting....so for 20 quid for the year you can access their downloads which include plenty of free stuff and I assume discounts?? What's the catch? Do you have to stay a member like with Xbox gold to keep the games?

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Interesting....so for 20 quid for the year you can access their downloads which include plenty of free stuff and I assume discounts?? What's the catch? Do you have to stay a member like with Xbox gold to keep the games?

Yes you have to stay a member to keep the games but other than that there's no catch, just unreal value. In the 14 months I've owned the xbone I've purchased 3 game disks ; pro Evo, gears 4 and Titanfall 2, everything else has been games with gold and EA Access!

There are discounts on EA games but I wouldn't know too much about how good they are. There are waaaaay too many free games to get through to worry about spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ok, so I've decided to get an Xbox one s with Fifa as its around the same price here (I'm in the Middle East on assignment) as the one with 5 games, 3 of which I have no interest in. I have some questions though....

1. Will I have any region compatibility issues when I come home?same voltage here so won't need adaptor.
    2. Can I download games based here and still be able to use them back in Ireland?
    3. Are downloads generally cheaper than bricks and mortar purchased disc games??
    4. Where do I download games from?

I'd also like guidance on what games I should go for (going to either download or get off amazon as v expensive here). I'm from the Commodore 64 generation so my criteria are as follows

- must be simple to play and get into. They must be fun!! Am married with kids so can't spend long getting familiar and into games...this is just a little side hobby!
    - no interest at all in multiplayer on line action. Single player stuff only.

So I'm looking for the following:
    - first person shooter (loved quake back in the day)
    - racing game
    -golf
    - Star Wars game (I've read battlefront doesn't have good single player which is a big disappointment)
    - fighting game
    - fighter plane game (more action than simulator)

Cheers for the steers.....

You haven't mentioned anything about a third person game or a 2D game but I'm going to recommend Sunset Overdrive and Ori and The Blind Forest. Two excellent games and you should be able to get them quite cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

C64 kid checking in.....

1. No region issues

2. Once a game is downloaded on your account, you own it. You can play it regardless of where you are. You can install, then delete it, and install it again. It's linked to your xblive account.

3. Depends. New releases tend to keep their prices for quite some time on the store (this answers question 4, you download games from the Xbox Live Store). The price of a new release with drop in a B&M long before it will in the store. But you can get great deals on digital downloads from time to time.

So, even if you're not going to be playing online games, you should consider an Xbox Live Gold membership.

Every month you'll get two free Xbox One games and two free Xbox 360 games.

Also, each week there's "Deals with Gold" where there's (sometimes quite substantial) reductions on selectes games.

That's only with Gold membership.

...And there's EA Access as mentioned.

Think you can get an XBL Gold/EA Access annual membership bundle on Amazon

And I'll vouch for Doom. Unreal craic!

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    C64 kid checking in.....

1. No region issues

2. Once a game is downloaded on your account, you own it. You can play it regardless of where you are. You can install, then delete it, and install it again. It's linked to your xblive account.

3. Depends. New releases tend to keep their prices for quite some time on the store (this answers question 4, you download games from the Xbox Live Store). The price of a new release with drop in a B&M long before it will in the store. But you can get great deals on digital downloads from time to time.

So, even if you're not going to be playing online games, you should consider an Xbox Live Gold membership.

Every month you'll get two free Xbox One games and two free Xbox 360 games.

Also, each week there's "Deals with Gold" where there's (sometimes quite substantial) reductions on selectes games.

That's only with Gold membership.

...And there's EA Access as mentioned.

Think you can get an XBL Gold/EA Access annual membership bundle on Amazon

And I'll vouch for Doom. Unreal craic!

Thanks for the detailed response!! Much appreciated....how much is Xbox gold per month/annual? Not sure how much of a chance I'd have to avail of the free games but if it's cheap enough then sure why not....

Thanks for the detailed response!! Much appreciated....how much is Xbox gold per month/annual? Not sure how much of a chance I'd have to avail of the free games but if it's cheap enough then sure why not....

Around €35 from CDKeys. I think that's the cheapest available at the minute.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you get an EA access sub and a gold sub there's a good chance you might not even need to buy a game.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you get an EA access sub and a gold sub there's a good chance you might not even need to buy a game.

£55 for both on Amazon.

EA Access and Xbox Live Gold Membership 12 Months [Xbox Live Online Code] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1I7TLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_3kCLybZJKDTP3

emmetkenny wrote:
    £55 for both on Amazon.
    EA Access and Xbox Live Gold Membership 12 Months [Xbox Live Online Code]

There you go!
    That's about E70??
    So for the price of a brand new game, you'll have access free games and EA's vault for the whole year

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    There you go!
    That's about E70??
    So for the price of a brand new game, you'll have access free games and EA's vault for the whole year

€64 using Revolut so even cheaper :)

Thanks everyone for their comments to date. Here's what I think I understand now:

1. With X-box live gold I can download (to the console) free games every month but will only have access to them with a valid membership. If they are deleted from the console, do they remain accessible for downloading from my xbox live account?

2. With any games purchased online, is it a one time only download or is there in your account to download and delete as you like?

3. So EA access is pretty similar to xbox live gold. Is it a case that you can download from their archive but can only play with valid membership? How does it work?

The missus got the one s for me there today so looking forward to getting set up when I get the chance!

I think the only game i'll look to get outside what can be pilfered from gold and EA access is forza. Am I right in saying that I wouldn't be able to use a game bought of amazon.com because of the region? I can get delivery from .com to here in the ME through friends but I'm not sure if they'll work with the version of the console available here (been reassured it will work back in Ireland).....

MarcusP12 wrote:
    1. With X-box live gold I can download (to the console) free games every month but will only have access to them with a valid membership. If they are deleted from the console, do they remain accessible for downloading from my xbox live account?
    They remain accessible. You essentially own the game, you just happened to pay "free" for it.
    MarcusP12 wrote:
    2. With any games purchased online, is it a one time only download or is there in your account to download and delete as you like?
    There on your account, forever and always...
    MarcusP12 wrote:
    3. So EA access is pretty similar to xbox live gold. Is it a case that you can download from their archive but can only play with valid membership? How does it work?
    You download a game from their vault (the vault appears in your "ready to install" section, you'll see this once you fire up your new XB1s) and you can play it as long as you have an active EA Access membership.
    Delete/reinstall as above.

With regards to regions, all Xbox One games are region free. I'd post the link, but I can't from mobile for some reason...
    "Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One"

1 and 2 are kind of the same question. Free games and purchased games stay tied to your account. Your account on the xbox has 2 sections for games, 1 for installed and 1 for available to install. Anything you uninstalling goes back to the available pile. So basically you don't need to have all your games installed taking up space.

With them tied to your account, just say you get a new xbox down the line, you cam just log in and install again.

3 - EA Access is basically just a club that you join. For your membership you get access to the games vault (which is steadily growing, not brand new games bit they go in after about 6-9 months), you get extended demos and discounts on new EA games. You'll need to keep a valid membership to play your installed vault games. You can get 1 month subs if you just want to try it out without stumping up a full years fee.

On your last bit, I'm not sure there is any region locks on the xbox. People buy games from all over.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty sure it's only the free games for 360 that stay playable if your sub lapses Xbox one games need the active sub.

About the region thing, the missus asked the guy in virgin here and he said that here are 3 regions, us, Europe and Japan....Middle East is Europe so I'm ok... The games they sell have numbers on the box which means Europe and other have letters or something. I thinking the disc games are region specific and maybe the downloads aren't? Would that make sense?

Btw, how big is an average game? Reason I ask is the download speeds are not the May west here....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

The Region's would only be an issue with 360 games if I remember correctly.
    The One is region free so you could go to America for a holiday, walk into Gamestop or FYE or any other games shop and purchase a physical game, bring it home, pop it into your One and install it to play.

Size of games vary but generally you're talking anywhere from 20 to 60GB (even more in some cases). You'll likely have to leave games downloading overnight, or several nights depending on the speed of your internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A relative Xbox One newbie here too. Got a present of one at Christmas but haven't had much time to play it yet, which will change in the next couple of weeks hopefully!

With games from the EA Vault, I know you need to have an active subscription to play them. Is it the same with games downloaded for free with Xbox Gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you want a single player shooter game with an amazing campaign then an EA Access sub with all three Mass Effect games included will keep you going for a loooong time. Best set of games I've played in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

BDJW wrote: »
    A relative Xbox One newbie here too. Got a present of one at Christmas but haven't had much time to play it yet, which will change in the next couple of weeks hopefully!

With games from the EA Vault, I know you need to have an active subscription to play them. Is it the same with games downloaded for free with Xbox Gold?

With Gold you need an active subscription for the XBox One titles, but the Xbox 360 titles do not need an active sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Faker74 wrote: »
    With Gold you need an active subscription for the XBox One titles, but the Xbox 360 titles do not need an active sub.

That's what I thought, thanks!

The Region's would only be an issue with 360 games if I remember correctly.
    The One is region free so you could go to America for a holiday, walk into Gamestop or FYE or any other games shop and purchase a physical game, bring it home, pop it into your One and install it to play.

That would be perfect as I'm putting an order into Amazon.com soon and could pick up a couple of games at the same time....can anyone else confirm this??? I did come across a comment on Amazon itself when someone asked if it could be played in the Middle East and someone said no. But maybe they confused it with 360??

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's only the free games for 360 that stay playable if your sub lapses Xbox one games need the active sub.

Does that apply to 360 games played on a one or is it just 360 on 360 console?

Does that apply to 360 games played on a one or is it just 360 on 360 console?

Should be both, so the free backwards compatible games should always be playable. I think.

The combined Xbox live and ea access for £55 on Amazon for the year is a great deal. I assume I can get that based in the ME and there be no region issues with my location set to here? Try to do my own research on this but one thing that concerns me is that it seems that I would need a billing address here to make purchases on Xbox live....I assume that's for buying games off the Microsoft store??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

You will need a UK address for that deal, I got it back in December.
    Setup a Parcel Motel account and use the UK address they provide for you, thats what I did and was able to purchase that deal.
    You will get an email sent to you with 2 codes, 1 for the Xbox Live and the other for EA Access

• Advertisement

You will need a UK address for that deal, I got it back in December.
    Setup a Parcel Motel account and use the UK address they provide for you, thats what I did and was able to purchase that deal.
    You will get an email sent to you with 2 codes, 1 for the Xbox Live and the other for EA Access

Does your console location matter to where you get codes from?

Advertisement