Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Ranelagh??

Options
  • 04-02-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

HI everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows any free parking or else cheap place to park in ranelagh monday to friday 6am to 3pm please. Or can i but permit from someone thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

There is free parking in mill town which would be a 7-8 min walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

There isn't any! Most of ranelagh is red and yellow zones and you can pay and display. Further down past the village, milltown end of ranelagh, there are some cheaper green zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 onmarko

ok thanks, there are no lane ways that are free parking, or is there any around, I hear palmerstown park is free, but long owl walk to the canal, there is no cheap all day parking close by? start a job there soon

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

onmarko wrote: »
    ok thanks, there are no lane ways that are free parking, or is there any around, I hear palmerstown park is free, but long owl walk to the canal, there is no cheap all day parking close by? start a job there soon
    There is just too much demand. Even residents have to pay €100-400 for a parking permit.

You can get a tram from Milltown / Cowper or Dublin Bus route 140 bus from Palmerstown Park to the canal.

Tram Leap Card € 1.39 Cash € 2.00
    Bus Leap Card € 1.50 Cash € 2.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

onmarko wrote: »

Nope. I'm a resident in ranelagh and have enough trouble finding parking myself - there's definitely no lanes or byways for non-residents to take for free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I commute from Wexford to Ranelagh every day and parking is a nuisance. I originally parked in Cowper Gardens but the residents keyed my car and drew on it with permanent marker. I moved further up to Miltown Luas station. It's a nicer area with lots of free parking beside the Luas station. More recently I parked in a laneway on Palmerstown road close to the t-junction, but one of the residents asked me move along. Oakley Road and Belgrave Avenue are an option from time to time. Anyone looking to park in Ranelagh should stick to Miltown. Its a 20 minutes walk from Ranelagh Village but its the only long term option if you rely on your car to get to work. I'm looking forward to the introduction of the Metro. I'm fed up driving this far into the city and fighting with residents in Ranelagh over parking. The Luas just isn't a viable option at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

You'll do well to get anywhere near there where you can park for free. Clonskeagh has a few spots, but its a good walk to Ranelagh. Could you cycle for a few miles? Somewhere like Clonskeagh is an option then, although sounds like you need a job closer to Wexford!

I am in early and out early to beat the traffic as much as possible every day. I'm out of bed at 5:30am but I don't mind. I had a great routine until maybe a year ago when residents started to fight with me over parking. There is always one resident who questions why the "out of town" car is parked a few metres from their house every day. This is in a busy suburb with cars parked on every corner. The next option is an electric scooter I think up and down from Miltown. Cycling would require a full grooming session all over again before I start work. Not really viable for me. I don't mind traveling up and down from Wexford. Thousands of people do it every day. I suppose its just the transport and parking options close to the city that are getting more and more difficult. I'm looking forward to the introduction of the metro. It would be great to travel by rail straight into the city from North Wicklow in the future.

Could you use Cherrywood Park and Ride? The Luas would hardly be that busy at that hour of the morning? Surely it'd fly in from Cherrywood.

There is always 1 busy body, they are generally old people with too much time on their hands!

Keying a car is a low act. I can't imagine the scumbag who would do that. Residents think they own the street as well as the house in too many parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I've had similar experience in this so-called "posh" part of the city in spite of paying for parking in a designated bay for two hours. Notes left on the car and other damage done. Shower of wasters around that part of the city who I have been told to ignore when trying to provide a service to certain businesses in the area. I now try and secure off street parking in the businesses I attend so as to avoid the mavens in the surrounding areas who hate parked cars.

• Advertisement

I tried the Cherrywood Park and ride for a while in the beginning, but between parking and Luas fare it cost too much initially. I have a smaller car and lower fuel bill these days. I would use the Luas if it was quicker and could guarantee space in the evenings. I can drive to the m50 in half the time before the build-up of traffic. Three of my colleagues live in the South East and we all drive.

The car keying was a pain in the neck alright. I've worked in Ranelagh for years and i've had the mispleasure of meeting some of the grumpy conservative old farts, so yes it was probably one of them who had a go at my car.

It shows you that money doesn't buy you class. The same fellah who keyed it probably is a stiff upper lip spiffing gentleman to everybody who knows him.....or else a complete pain in the asre to everybody who knows him. The same person would look down on a scumbag who would break his mirror in a less desirable part of the city!

I'm sure you've thought about car pooling with colleagues so it is probably not an option. If you took it handy on a bike from Clonskeagh, or UCD, you'd be OK to not need a shower no? It is mainly downhill/flat to Ranelagh from there, you can pedal as hard as you want on the way home!

I'm out of options for you I'm afraid chief! did you try any of the car pooling websites? I'd imagine there are nurses, gardai etc doing a similar shift and would be happy to halve the cost and driving each week?

I want to stick with the car for the time being. I just need to shorten the gap between getting out of work and getting to my car which is now parked in Miltown. I think an electric scooter is the best way to go. Zoom Zoom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dash cam leave it on it will catch those damaging the car.

Once it's a public road you can park wherever you want once inside the legal boundaries.

It's funny how people believe outside their house on a public road that they have ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Try the parkpnp app

Dash cam leave it on it will catch those damaging the car.

Once it's a public road you can park wherever you want once inside the legal boundaries.

It's funny how people believe outside their house on a public road that they have ownership.

I bought a 24 hour dash cam after my car was damaged. It runs on a battery. Pretty handy. I think when you park in a free space close to a house or group of houses you can forget about the law. I had a woman tell me the other day the side lane she lived on was private property when it clearly wasn’t. There were plenty of cars parked up this lane owned by private residents and people working in the area. Once the nose went up and she started the usual rubbish I hear day after day I just drove off and parked elsewhere. I bought an electric scooter yesterday to travel up and down from Miltown. I’m looking forward to trying it out and looking like a complete pleb!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

n.d.os wrote: »
    I bought a 24 hour dash cam after my car was damaged. It runs on a battery. Pretty handy. I think when you park in a free space close to a house or group of houses you can forget about the law. I had a woman tell me the other day the side lane she lived on was private property when it clearly wasn’t. There were plenty of cars parked up this lane owned by private residents and people working in the area. Once the nose went up and she started the usual rubbish I hear day after day I just drove off and parked elsewhere. I bought an electric scooter yesterday to travel up and down from Miltown. I’m looking forward to trying it out and looking like a complete pleb!

Be careful as the legality of them scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just park on the main road.. Everyone else seems to do it.

Advertisement