Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lc subjects

Options
  • 04-02-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi I'm a ty student and I am picking my subjects soon! I was thinking french biology chemistry and either physics or ag science! Do you think the 3 sciences would be too hard? Also I'm ok at maths for physics but I've heard it's really hard and that ag science overlaps with biology! I'm not a farmer but I heard that doesn't matter! I was also thinking about doing accounting as an extra subject.
    What do you think if you did any of these subject? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Sb567 wrote:
    Hi I'm a ty student and I am picking my subjects soon! I was thinking french biology chemistry and either physics or ag science! Do you think the 3 sciences would be too hard? Also I'm ok at maths for physics but I've heard it's really hard and that ag science overlaps with biology! I'm not a farmer but I heard that doesn't matter! I was also thinking about doing accounting as an extra subject. What do you think if you did any of these subject? Thanks!

Yeah ag science overlaps alright and is easy enough. Doesn't matter at all about not being a famer

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Yeah ag science overlaps alright and is easy enough. Doesn't matter at all about not being a famer

Sorry only seen this now. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

If you're picking those sciences because you want to get into a science course you can just pick one usually for a requirement.
    Otherwise physics has some math but nothing past formulas and some derivations.
    Chem is fairly ok as well with less math.
    If you arent sure of what you want in uni might as well have as large a spread of things as possible. Maybe Im biased but physics seems a lot more versitile than agri science so it would be worth knowing if its your thing now rather than later.

thetalker wrote: »
    If you're picking those sciences because you want to get into a science course you can just pick one usually for a requirement.
    Otherwise physics has some math but nothing past formulas and some derivations.
    Chem is fairly ok as well with less math.
    If you arent sure of what you want in uni might as well have as large a spread of things as possible. Maybe Im biased but physics seems a lot more versitile than agri science so it would be worth knowing if its your thing now rather than later.
    Yeah you're right ! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 browscb

Sb567 wrote: »
    Hi I'm a ty student and I am picking my subjects soon! I was thinking french biology chemistry and either physics or ag science! Do you think the 3 sciences would be too hard? Also I'm ok at maths for physics but I've heard it's really hard and that ag science overlaps with biology! I'm not a farmer but I heard that doesn't matter! I was also thinking about doing accounting as an extra subject.
    What do you think if you did any of these subject? Thanks!

I've a handful of friends who want to be doctors and engineers and decided to study three sciences for their Leaving Certificate. In fifth year, majority of them ended up dropping one Science and it was usually physics because of how hard they found it - even the students that stayed in physics continue to complain about how hard it is.

I do Ag Science, I don't come from a strong farming background and I wouldn't excel academically but I'm sitting on a strong 80% for my Leaving Certificate. You'll be sound with this subject as long as you learn the terms and know your breeds and grasses, some questions you can easily wing as long as you've a small bit of knowledge and common sense.

Biology's one of my worst subjects, there's honestly so much learning and exam questions can be worded very different to how questions are asked in the book. It requires a lot of study so I wouldn't take up biology if you weren't going to put in the time and energy that it requires.

Chemistry is hit and miss, I enjoyed it during our TY module but I wasn't that strong at maths and was awful at the equations. My friends say it's hard but it's more bearable that physics.

In TY we were advised to take one subject we like and will look forward to, and two that we'll need for courses etc.,

Good luck!

• Advertisement

browscb wrote: »
    I've a handful of friends who want to be doctors and engineers and decided to study three sciences for their Leaving Certificate. In fifth year, majority of them ended up dropping one Science and it was usually physics because of how hard they found it - even the students that stayed in physics continue to complain about how hard it is.

I do Ag Science, I don't come from a strong farming background and I wouldn't excel academically but I'm sitting on a strong 80% for my Leaving Certificate. You'll be sound with this subject as long as you learn the terms and know your breeds and grasses, some questions you can easily wing as long as you've a small bit of knowledge and common sense.

Biology's one of my worst subjects, there's honestly so much learning and exam questions can be worded very different to how questions are asked in the book. It requires a lot of study so I wouldn't take up biology if you weren't going to put in the time and energy that it requires.

Chemistry is hit and miss, I enjoyed it during our TY module but I wasn't that strong at maths and was awful at the equations. My friends say it's hard but it's more bearable that physics.

In TY we were advised to take one subject we like and will look forward to, and two that we'll need for courses etc.,

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah physics is always mixed you either love it or hate it you know? Chemistry is my strong subject in ty I get 100's in all the tests with a great teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 browscb

Sb567 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah physics is always mixed you either love it or hate it you know? Chemistry is my strong subject in ty I get 100's in all the tests with a great teacher.

I go to an all girls school and our physics class only has nine students roughly, but they'd perform really well because they want to be there studying physics but at the start of fifth year there was nearly twenty students. There's roughly 110 students in my year. It's probably the hardest science, our physics teacher would say it's in a league of it's own completely and he's wrote a physics book used by schools nationwide. If you're looking for points, I wouldn't pick both physics and biology - only one, and you can have chemistry then. Business is a good subject to have that's relatively easy to grasp, it keeps pathways open for college also by giving you another subject that's not science. Even the arts such as music, art etc., all the woodwork too, they're more fun subjects and could be something to look forward to. It's hard to stay focused during the LC but I personally find having a subject to look forward to really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

With regards to physics, if you're worried about the maths aspect I would say that it's substantially more basic than LC higher level maths. It was a few years ago that I did it, but I don't remember much beyond some basic trigonometry and arithmetic. You won't be doing any calculus or matrix vectors or complex numbers or any of that for LC physics.

Honestly, I think physics as a subject is kind of in a vicious cycle of people perceiving it as being very hard which makes them intimidated by it which makes people afraid to invest time in it. That's especially true for girls in my experience, because physics is often treated as a "boy's subject". I think there were 8 in my year of about 130 who took it for the Leaving Cert, while there were about 80-90 who took biology, but physics was honestly my highest score in the LC in the end, and I didn't invest any more time in it than other subject either. Biology tends to have a lot of memorisation while physics is more about understanding how the rules work and figuring things out based on that. I don't think either one was really significantly easier to score points in compared to the other.

One thing to definitely take into account is the teacher too if you know anything about them. A good teacher can make just about anything easy to understand.

With regards to accounting, it can be a time sink because practicing it involves writing up accounts (which take a while before they start actually balancing), but it is a pretty dependable source of points. There are only about 10 types of accounts to learn and a handful of theory questions. Spending time practicing them can be tedious, but it isn't particularly difficult and you're pretty much guaranteed to know it when you've done it enough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I think there's a tendency for scaremongering with leaving cert physics. It's really no more difficult than any other subject if you have any aptitude for maths/logic at all. You will never enjoy studying physics if all you concentrate on is its difficulty.

browscb wrote: »
    I go to an all girls school and our physics class only has nine students roughly, but they'd perform really well because they want to be there studying physics but at the start of fifth year there was nearly twenty students. There's roughly 110 students in my year. It's probably the hardest science, our physics teacher would say it's in a league of it's own completely and he's wrote a physics book used by schools nationwide. If you're looking for points, I wouldn't pick both physics and biology - only one, and you can have chemistry then. Business is a good subject to have that's relatively easy to grasp, it keeps pathways open for college also by giving you another subject that's not science. Even the arts such as music, art etc., all the woodwork too, they're more fun subjects and could be something to look forward to. It's hard to stay focused during the LC but I personally find having a subject to look forward to really helps.

Yeah I definitely agree with you!! How come I shouldn't do physics and biology? Just a question. Yeah I was thinking maybe ag science or engineering
    C14N wrote: »
    With regards to physics, if you're worried about the maths aspect I would say that it's substantially more basic than LC higher level maths. It was a few years ago that I did it, but I don't remember much beyond some basic trigonometry and arithmetic. You won't be doing any calculus or matrix vectors or complex numbers or any of that for LC physics.

Honestly, I think physics as a subject is kind of in a vicious cycle of people perceiving it as being very hard which makes them intimidated by it which makes people afraid to invest time in it. That's especially true for girls in my experience, because physics is often treated as a "boy's subject". I think there were 8 in my year of about 130 who took it for the Leaving Cert, while there were about 80-90 who took biology, but physics was honestly my highest score in the LC in the end, and I didn't invest any more time in it than other subject either. Biology tends to have a lot of memorisation while physics is more about understanding how the rules work and figuring things out based on that. I don't think either one was really significantly easier to score points in compared to the other.

One thing to definitely take into account is the teacher too if you know anything about them. A good teacher can make just about anything easy to understand.

With regards to accounting, it can be a time sink because practicing it involves writing up accounts (which take a while before they start actually balancing), but it is a pretty dependable source of points. There are only about 10 types of accounts to learn and a handful of theory questions. Spending time practicing them can be tedious, but it isn't particularly difficult and you're pretty much guaranteed to know it when you've done it enough times.

Yeah thanks for the reply I really don't know what to do! I just want to do accounting because instead of sitting learning from a book I can practise it out you know.
    I think there's a tendency for scaremongering with leaving cert physics. It's really no more difficult than any other subject if you have any aptitude for maths/logic at all. You will never enjoy studying physics if all you concentrate on is its difficulty.

Thats very true thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement