Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subjects help!

Options
  • 03-02-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm in ty and it's coming to the time to pick our LC subjects! I was think French chemistry biology and physics? Would this be too difficult? I was also thinking about doing accounting outside school! I also have an interest in history but am not sure if I'll like it! Please any help would be nice thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I did French, Physics, Chemistry and Accounting in school and did Economics outside school. I found it to be a good mix because I had no idea what I wanted to do after school and these subjects kept all my options open.

If you're really interested in science, are decent at maths and like business then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I did French, Physics, Chemistry and Accounting in school and did Economics outside school. I found it to be a good mix because I had no idea what I wanted to do after school and these subjects kept all my options open.

If you're really interested in science, are decent at maths and like business then go for it.

Thanks for the reply! Yea I'm thinking about doing the 3 or maybe ag science instead of physics! Is accounting really hard or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Do you want to study science in college?
    Out of all of my subjects I found physics the trickiest. It involves a lot of understanding concepts and calculations.
    If you enjoyed the accounting parts of the Junior Cert then you'll enjoy Accounting as a subject. Its very methodical and theres very little theory.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Do you want to study science in college?
    Out of all of my subjects I found physics the trickiest. It involves a lot of understanding concepts and calculations.
    If you enjoyed the accounting parts of the Junior Cert then you'll enjoy Accounting as a subject. Its very methodical and theres very little theory.
    Yea I'm thinking about biomedical science! I'd really like dentistry or veterinary but the points are too high lol! Yea I'm afraid to do physics in case I hate it but I'm also afraid if I want to be an engineer but if I dont like physics there's no point doing engineering. Ya I think I'll do accounting !

Hi I'm a ty student and I am picking my subjects soon! I was thinking french biology chemistry and either physics or ag science! Do you think the 3 sciences would be too hard? Also I'm ok at maths for physics but I've heard it's really hard and that ag science overlaps with biology! I'm not a farmer but I heard that doesn't matter! I was also thinking about doing accounting as an extra subject.
    What do you think if you did any of these subject? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Okay, woah.
    What subjects do you enjoy and what subjects do you excel at?
    Also what subjects are a requirement for any degree or trade you might wish to do?
    It's always good to have a language, as far as I'm aware (and this might if changed) you need all three sciences for medicine and dentristy?
    The three sciences are challenging but not unachievable if you like them, engage well and can motivate yourself to study.
    Like you said you don't need to be a farmer to do ag science and it is a good points subject.
    Honours maths and accounting, just remember higher maths has a lot of course work. Accounting might not be a great match.
    If you are friendly with any teacher or if your school has a guidance counsellor ask to speak with them, they know you as a student as well as your capabilities. And don't stress, all these subjects can be changed

Okay, woah.
    What subjects do you enjoy and what subjects do you excel at?
    Also what subjects are a requirement for any degree or trade you might wish to do?
    It's always good to have a language, as far as I'm aware (and this might if changed) you need all three sciences for medicine and dentristy?
    The three sciences are challenging but not unachievable if you like them, engage well and can motivate yourself to study.
    Like you said you don't need to be a farmer to do ag science and it is a good points subject.
    Honours maths and accounting, just remember higher maths has a lot of course work. Accounting might not be a great match.
    If you are friendly with any teacher or if your school has a guidance counsellor ask to speak with them, they know you as a student as well as your capabilities. And don't stress, all these subjects can be changed

Thanks for the reply! Well the subject I really liked for junior cert was science and was disappointed that I didn't get an A! I just feel physics will be too hard and I'm only ok at maths. What do you mean by accounting and maths aren't a great match? The only reason I'm thinking of higher maths is because if the extra points . Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Sb567 wrote: »
    Hi I'm a ty student and I am picking my subjects soon! I was thinking french biology chemistry and either physics or ag science! Do you think the 3 sciences would be too hard? Also I'm ok at maths for physics but I've heard it's really hard and that ag science overlaps with biology! I'm not a farmer but I heard that doesn't matter! I was also thinking about doing accounting as an extra subject.
    What do you think if you did any of these subject? Thanks!

I did all three sciences for the leaving cert and it's in no way different to doing any three subjects. If anything, none of them are very heavy in rote learning (except maybe Biology) so it was a nice balance. Honestly, plenty of people in my Physics class did OL Maths and they we're never at a disadvantage with physics. It's mainly just using formulas and basic calculations (with the exception of some of the Mechanics I guess). It's not like they expect every student to be brilliant at maths to do physics!

In terms of Ag Science I didn't do it but a number of my friends did. You definitely don't have to be a farmer to do well in it at all. As far as I know they did need to have access to a farm to do part of their projects but I think the teacher sorted a trip to a local farm or something like that for people in my school who didn't have access to one themselves. It definitely has an overlap with Biology because my Biology teacher was also an Ag Science teacher and would always refer to the fact that things on our course was also on the Ag Science course for the people in my class who did both. :)

I honestly know nothing about Accounting as a Leaving Cert subject, but why would you want to do it? Sounds like you're not a very big fan of maths, so I can't imagine you'd love a subject full of numbers? Would Economics or Business not be a better choice? Obviously it's completely up to yourself though and someone who has done Accounting would know much better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Patches_OB

If you're considering pursuing a university degree in science, I'd recommend picking Physics ahead of Ag Science simply because the principles of physics are ones which effectively reverberate through the other disciplines, especially chemistry and would serve you more usefully than knowing different breeds of cattle!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I did all three sciences for the leaving cert and it's in no way different to doing any three subjects. If anything, none of them are very heavy in rote learning (except maybe Biology) so it was a nice balance. Honestly, plenty of people in my Physics class did OL Maths and they we're never at a disadvantage with physics. It's mainly just using formulas and basic calculations (with the exception of some of the Mechanics I guess). It's not like they expect every student to be brilliant at maths to do physics!

In terms of Ag Science I didn't do it but a number of my friends did. You definitely don't have to be a farmer to do well in it at all. As far as I know they did need to have access to a farm to do part of their projects but I think the teacher sorted a trip to a local farm or something like that for people in my school who didn't have access to one themselves. It definitely has an overlap with Biology because my Biology teacher was also an Ag Science teacher and would always refer to the fact that things on our course was also on the Ag Science course for the people in my class who did both. :)

I honestly know nothing about Accounting as a Leaving Cert subject, but why would you want to do it? Sounds like you're not a very big fan of maths, so I can't imagine you'd love a subject full of numbers? Would Economics or Business not be a better choice? Obviously it's completely up to yourself though and someone who has done Accounting would know much better than me.

Thanks for the reply! So you really didn't find all three sciences that bad? I'm kinda stuck between physics and ag science! Well it's not that I hate maths it's just I find it only alright you know and I feel like if I did accounting it would be an easier subject to do well In and I did business for junior cert and I liked the accounts part!! :)
    Patches_OB wrote: »
    If you're considering pursuing a university degree in science, I'd recommend picking Physics ahead of Ag Science simply because the principles of physics are ones which effectively reverberate through the other disciplines, especially chemistry and would serve you more usefully than knowing different breeds of cattle!

Yeah I guess so. Physics seems hard but you know. I'll think about it though. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Duplicate threads combined!

Advertisement