Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermalogica Breakout?

• 04-02-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice. I am 26 and have always been relatively neglectful when it comes to skincare, using makeup wipes exclusively to remove makeup and cheap moisturisers in the mornings. However I have never had any major issues with my skin on an appearance level, a little bit of dryness during Winter and the occasional spot but other than that it has always looked to be in reasonably good condition.

Recently I decided to make more of an effort to start a proper skincare routine so I did a Dermalogica face mapping and bought three products to begin with: the pre-cleanse, the daily microfoliant, and the skin smoothing moisturising cream. I have been using them for two months now - the pre-cleanse and the moisturiser each evening and the microfoliant 4-5 times per week. My skin has never looked worse!!! I have broken out with tiny pimples all over my chin area, and in the past week have developed a cluster of larger spots/marks that almost resembles a rash close to my mouth on one side. As well as one or two individual spots on other areas of my face which would have previously been a relatively rare occurrence. I initially thought it might just take my skin a while to settle into the new routine but after two months I'm really disappointed/frustrated (they are very expensive products). In the past few weeks I have tried eliminating each of the products separately to see if there is one in particularly aggravating my skin but I can't really single one out.

Has anyone had any experience of anything like this or advice on what to do? I'm so tempted to just revert back to my old non-routine but I know that isn't beneficial in the long run. Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Has anyone had any experience of anything like this or advice on what to do? I'm so tempted to just revert back to my old non-routine but I know that isn't beneficial in the long run. Many thanks for any advice.

I experienced something similar so did exactly that. A friend of mine swears by Dermalogica so I bought loads of products a few years ago. My skin reacted badly and i had lots of breakouts so i stopped using it. I am back to using facewash in the shower and moisturising every day. I use cleanser if i have worn make up and i try to exfoliate once a week. These are all different brands as each product works separately for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Hi all,

I am hoping for some advice. I am 26 and have always been relatively neglectful when it comes to skincare, using makeup wipes exclusively to remove makeup and cheap moisturisers in the mornings. However I have never had any major issues with my skin on an appearance level, a little bit of dryness during Winter and the occasional spot but other than that it has always looked to be in reasonably good condition.

Recently I decided to make more of an effort to start a proper skincare routine so I did a Dermalogica face mapping and bought three products to begin with: the pre-cleanse, the daily microfoliant, and the skin smoothing moisturising cream. I have been using them for two months now - the pre-cleanse and the moisturiser each evening and the microfoliant 4-5 times per week. My skin has never looked worse!!! I have broken out with tiny pimples all over my chin area, and in the past week have developed a cluster of larger spots/marks that almost resembles a rash close to my mouth on one side. As well as one or two individual spots on other areas of my face which would have previously been a relatively rare occurrence. I initially thought it might just take my skin a while to settle into the new routine but after two months I'm really disappointed/frustrated (they are very expensive products). In the past few weeks I have tried eliminating each of the products separately to see if there is one in particularly aggravating my skin but I can't really single one out.

I find dermalogica great personally. If the products are prescribed by someone qualified to do face mapping I'm fairly sure they are guaranteed so I'd look into getting my money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I found Daily Microfoliant really drying. When I did a bit of research I found that a lot of people found it harsh and recommended only using it a couple of times a week.

Did you get samples before you bought the products to see if they suited you? If your skin is suffering so badly it really would be worth trying something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Are you using a proper cleanser? If you're using skin smoothing cream I'm taking your skin is dry/dehydrated. Can you give us more information on your exact routine, your skin type etc

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I used dermalogica products for a few weeks and found the same, my skin was red, blotchy and spotty, which were new features for me. I gave up and went back to my previous products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 psychology5

Many thanks for the replies. It sounds like a few people have had similar experiences with Dermalogica, strange but I guess it's impossible to predict how your skin will react to new products. I think I am going to give up at this stage, I still want to maintain a better skincare routine but have learned my lesson now about buying several (expensive!) products from a brand without testing them first. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Many thanks for the replies. It sounds like a few people have had similar experiences with Dermalogica, strange but I guess it's impossible to predict how your skin will react to new products. I think I am going to give up at this stage, I still want to maintain a better skincare routine but have learned my lesson now about buying several (expensive!) products from a brand without testing them first. Thanks again

Perhaps reply to Lexi's question before you give up? She owns a salon and does know her stuff so you're getting free advice!!

Are you using a proper cleanser? If you're using skin smoothing cream I'm taking your skin is dry/dehydrated. Can you give us more information on your exact routine, your skin type etc

Apologies I missed this reply. Since I got the new products I have just been using the pre-cleanse as the girl that did the face mapping said this would suffice in terms of make up remover/cleanser. Before this I had just been washing my face with face wash in the mornings and using make up wipes in the evenings (awful I know!).
    My skin type is slightly more on the dry side but not majorly problematic and normal other than that. I had been starting to worry about developing lines and this was what spurred me to make more of an effort. I asked the same girl for a moisturiser - she showed me three and then recommended the skin smoothing cream as it was the 'middle ground' which she thought would be best for my skin.
    As I'm sure you can tell I'm fairly clueless about all of this stuff!

Ok, your first problem is your Pre Cleanse.
    Off the top of my head the main ingredients in precleanse is safflower oil, apricot oil and olive oil. This is fantastic for breaking down heavy makeup and is the first step in a double cleanse. I'm a bit shocked you were sold this as your main cleanser. I would have thought something like the special cleansing gel would have been a better place to start and you should be following up your precleanse (clue is in the name) with an actual cleanser.

2. Daily microfoliant is extremely gentle but for some skin types (mine would be normal slightly dehydrated and I'd use skin smoothing cream too) using it each day is too much. I would use the microfoliant maybe once a week. Make sure you've used the correct amount of water and it's not too "pasty".

Skin smoothing cream would have a bit of "weight" in it so it would be good for someone with dry skin. I love it because i need to push a richer product into my skin but I'm wondering if you do? You mention your skin is dry - but 95% of clients inaee would be dehydrated more than dry but would describe it as dry. I'm wondering if you'd have been better off with a lighter product such as active moist? Also to prevent aging you should be using an spf in your moisturiser. UVA will age someone like nobody's business.

Do you still have your skin mapping sheet?? You can send me a pic of it via pm if you want me to have a look at it for you but going off the details here I'd be inclined to think you've been overloading your skin with oil, haven't given it a thorough cleanse and quite possibility been overloading stripping with over exfoliation and replacing with a medium rich cream. If I were you I'd be inclined to go straight back to the salon with the products and tell them you weren't happy with the advice or recommendations.

Ok, your first problem is your Pre Cleanse.
    Off the top of my head the main ingredients in precleanse is safflower oil, apricot oil and olive oil. This is fantastic for breaking down heavy makeup and is the first step in a double cleanse. I'm a bit shocked you were sold this as your main cleanser. I would have thought something like the special cleansing gel would have been a better place to start and you should be following up your precleanse (clue is in the name) with an actual cleanser.

2. Daily microfoliant is extremely gentle but for some skin types (mine would be normal slightly dehydrated and I'd use skin smoothing cream too) using it each day is too much. I would use the microfoliant maybe once a week. Make sure you've used the correct amount of water and it's not too "pasty".

Skin smoothing cream would have a bit of "weight" in it so it would be good for someone with dry skin. I love it because i need to push a richer product into my skin but I'm wondering if you do? You mention your skin is dry - but 95% of clients inaee would be dehydrated more than dry but would describe it as dry. I'm wondering if you'd have been better off with a lighter product such as active moist? Also to prevent aging you should be using an spf in your moisturiser. UVA will age someone like nobody's business.

Do you still have your skin mapping sheet?? You can send me a pic of it via pm if you want me to have a look at it for you but going off the details here I'd be inclined to think you've been overloading your skin with oil, haven't given it a thorough cleanse and quite possibility been overloading stripping with over exfoliation and replacing with a medium rich cream. If I were you I'd be inclined to go straight back to the salon with the products and tell them you weren't happy with the advice or recommendations.

Wow that is incredibly helpful thank you so much! I was also confused about the 'precleanse' being my main cleanser but specifically asked this and the lady told me that she didn't want to overload me with products and that these three products would make a good basic routine to start me out. I was grateful at the time that she wasn't just pushing loads of products on me but based on what you're saying there is a clear missing element.

You might be right about the moisturiser - it feels quite heavy when I'm applying it and it puts me off. Dehydration then might be more accurate than dry. What I might do is go back in with the aim of getting a proper cleanser and different moisturiser, and reduce use of microfoliant to once a week. Unfortunately I haven't a clue what I did with the face mapping sheet, this was around Christmas so head and house were a bit all over the shop!

I really appreciate your time and advice :)

• Advertisement

Bring back the pre cleanse and moisturiser, you should not be out of pocket for a bad recommendation.

A basic routine is a cleanser, exfoliator and moisturiser. Anything else is fluff, pre cleanse is fluff.

I hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Would any of you recommend IMAGE skincare? Or is it all hype? I am considering trying a facial and then some products but it's much pricier than any other skincare.

Personally I think image is amazing, but very active so would only trust a professional doing a skin analysis. I wouldn't just buy random products off the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Thanks Lexie! I assume there are specific types of products for specific types of skin?! I'm clueless! I know a local salon offers facials and skin mapping so I think I might splash out! In you opinion is it better or on par with Dermologica?

Much better overall but I like some of the dermalogica products still

Advertisement