Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Attic A Dormer

Options
  • 04-02-2017 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

My attic was converted about 20 years ago by my Dad. It's a typical 3 bed semi attic conversion and only has an average velux window. I am thinking of getting the current conversion improved upon by getting it turned into a dormer attic. This would make it big enough to turn it into the master bedroom and let the boys take our room. There are plans to improve the attic anyway with built in wardrobes and shelving, so I think now is the best time to have this done. What would I be looking at, just to have the main works done, up to plastering stage?

See an example below of a local house that was done a few years ago. There are about a dozen of these done on the road, facing to the rear.

dormers_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

before you go pricing, this is a 3 storey house you are looking at so the fire regs get more complex so you might want to see what extra issues some of your neighbours had on this front.
    http://www.environ.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C1657%2Cen.pdf
    will get you started.
    I would also hazard a guess that one one shown is cold.
    You may also run into home insurance issues if the % of flat, or almost felt roof exceeds a certain %.

So food for thought perhaps.

Keep well and good luck

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning permission is also required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

kceire wrote: »
    Planning permission is also required.

Yeah, I figured I would need planning alright. The positive side of that is that I can apply for a couple of velux windows for the front side. At least 2 houses on the road have this already, so it should be OK if I do this.

I am guessing the work will be around 5-6k or am I being a bit optimistic?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah, I figured I would need planning alright. The positive side of that is that I can apply for a couple of velux windows for the front side. At least 2 houses on the road have this already, so it should be OK if I do this.

Planning will probably be ok assuming there is precedent in the area.

Yes imo you are being optimistic with the cost. Not sure what your plans are, but you need to study up on the fire regulations and ensure you're structural compliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Applied for planning for something similar last year (€1500 between getting plans drawn & and the application fee). They knocked back our application totally for vellum windows on the front (despite there being many houses around having them, also cut the size of the dormer to no more than 45% the width of the roof (again despite many houses around (inc the one connected to us) having wider ones.

We were offered the opportunity to appeal the decision which came with a hefty non refundable appeals fee. They also wanted to charge us €8k "utility connection fee" despite the fact we didn't need to be connected to anything if successful.

Decided to extend out the back instead.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    Planning will probably be ok assuming there is precedent in the area.

Yes imo you are being optimistic with the cost. Not sure what your plans are, but you need to study up on the fire regulations and ensure you're structural compliant

THIS is very similar to the layout of my house and attic size/height.

The picture below where you see the bed and door, with windows on the left is what I want mine to end up like, except I would have only 1, or 2 windows there.

mid-terrace-modern-truss-roof-house-loft-conversion-by-attic-designs-ltd-8-1600.jpg

To the right of the bed is where the dormer side would be. I would consider putting in a loo (not a shower), but would most likely just use the area to the right as storage, or a wardrobe.

As I said, the attic is already done...I would just need the dormer done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Already done... the question of cost was asked on an open forum, the cost will depend ensuring building regulation compliance, for example: what is installed to stop the roof spreading?

I'll try get a quote in the coming days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

goz83 wrote: »

10k being more realistic depending on what's already done or not done structurally.

As said above, the LA's can restrict the dormers ronni more than (50% of the roof width and at least 1m distance in from both boundaries so whatever is the greatest. Seen this conditioned in DCC recently.

kceire wrote: »
    10k being more realistic depending on what's already done or not done structurally.

As said above, the LA's can restrict the dormers ronni more than (50% of the roof width and at least 1m distance in from both boundaries so whatever is the greatest. Seen this conditioned in DCC recently.

I wont be in a position to throw 10k at it right now, due to other plans, so I may well hold off, as I want to get it done right. Not sure exactly what was done structurally when converted. My Dad converted it 20 years ago. He was big into his DIY at the time, but the stairs are awfully steep, so I will look at getting them sorted. I was 13 when he was doing it and helped, but I don't remember the structural details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement