Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does everyone have tattoos nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Roark wrote: »
    This is bollocks imo. Certain beard styles can definitely enhance a mans appearance, while there are others that do the opposite.

Same thing with tattoos, hats, clothes and whatever else. The only difference with a tattoo is that you have to be more careful because you are more or less stuck with it.

My point is that 10 years ago, a man with a beard stood out from the crowd.

Now there are so many beards around, despite the fact that if 4 years ago if you had asked a bearded hipster what he thought of them, he would have said never. But as soon as someone cool starts the trend, all belief goes out the window and the sheep must have them.

I am not saying beards are ugly. Just that they dont separate you from the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

antodeco wrote: »
    I'd love to get the views of the people in the tattoos and piercings form. To make an educated debate as oppose to most here saying they them.

My OH has around 14 including a sleeve. She loves them. I have 6, all hidden. Out and about you'd never know I'd have them, but topless, you would.

Do people hate them? Of course. It's their right.
    Do people hate peanut butter? Of course.

Do people who have tattoos like peanut butter? Of course.

Everyone likes things that others hate. Everyone's hates things that others like.

If it ain't harming anyone, then let it be. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Unfortunately, people sometimes use opinions to mock others,as oppose to accept differences.

IME people who hate tattoos are far far more bothered and annoyed by the existence and (what they imagine are) motivation of people with tattoos than people with tattoos are bothered by their negative opinion. Leave them off to have their scowl, nobody with tattoos cares what they think and it's a useful eejit filter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I feel like i stand out now because i dont have tattoo's

Me too. They're all too common now. Although I must admit I think tattoos on a woman's back can look very sexy. I don't like them anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

There are some spectacularly stupid ones out there though. I know someone who has one of a Smurf smoking a joint. It might have been hilarious at the time but 25 years on it looks sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Tattoos look very knackesish, i feel sorry for anyone who has one. Do you not realise how silly you will look in a few years time with your wrinkled up skin

Perhaps I am a bit knackerish? Truth in advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tattoo's are extremely commonplace now much more so than in the past.I'd say the majority of people under 30 have a tattoo now which was not the case in the past.

well i have news for you
    the majority do not

Also I don't understand the animosity toward tatoos. It reminds me of the way people talk about obese people like theyre an eyesore that you shouldn't have to suffer looking at
    If somebody's appearance annoys you, for what reason I don't know, just ignore it as its none of your business
    Its not anybody else's job to looking appealing to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

For those saying it'll look awful in 30 years -

Look, you can hate my tattoos, and that's grand.

However, do you not think I haven't considered the ageing process?

I know they'll look awful when I'm older. I also know I'll look awful when I'm older anyway, cause wrinkly aul ones aren't attractive anyway.

So I got them done in places where the skin stretches and wrinkles the least, and where they're all easily hidden by wearing clothes.

But yeah, I'm gonna look terrible when I'm 60+ anyway, so may as well enjoy my tattoos now while I'm still a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Each to their own, i love most tattoos, some are cheesy looking but some are just stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

For those saying it'll look awful in 30 years -

Look, you can hate my tattoos, and that's grand.

However, do you not think I haven't considered the ageing process?

I know they'll look awful when I'm older. I also know I'll look awful when I'm older anyway, cause wrinkly aul ones aren't attractive anyway.

So I got them done in places where the skin stretches and wrinkles the least, and where they're all easily hidden by wearing clothes.

But yeah, I'm gonna look terrible when I'm 60+ anyway, so may as well enjoy my tattoos now while I'm still a ride.

I think tattoos are horrible in general. I did have a small phase when I liked them but I know now for certain I don't like them that doesn't mean I've an issue with them on somebodies body tough. I just don't think they look nice.
    I'd have the same opinion about The Renault Megane 11.

Fair enough but you get a tattoo and it's there for life all other fashion choices are temporary.

People do think about the future when they make decisions, that's a fiarly normal thing.

Tattoos can be removed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I think tattoos are horrible in general. I did have a small phase when I liked them but I know now for certain I don't like them that doesn't mean I've an issue with them on somebodies body tough. I just don't think they look nice.
    I'd have the same opinion about The Renault Megane 11.

I have no problem with people hating them. Piercings freak me out so much I won't even get my ears pierced, so I'd be a hypocrite if I had a problem with people hating tattoos :pac:

I have a problem with people assuming I'm stupid or haven't thought about the ramifications of having one. I have. I know they can hinder job progress so mine are all easily covered (though my job is cool with tattoos), I know they'll stretch as I age, so I chose placement carefully, and so on.

I wouldn't judge someone's personality or character based on their fashion choices, though I may not like their choices.

I think it's cool to think tattoos are disgusting (or ugg boots or heels or piercings etc). I think people should accept that fashion choices or body modification doesn't define who a person is, though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I have a tattoo of my dead siblings name. Never had one previously nor will I again. People assume it's my child's name or my partner''s, or some ex lover. I love it. It's permanent. It's mine. It makes me think she will never be forgotten. Don't judge me, it's not yours to comment on. Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

It never ceases to amaze me why some get so bothered by what others do. I have tattoos, I got them for me and no one else and I don't give a flying sh1te what others think of them. Likewise, I am not going to ask someone why they don't have tattoos, none of my business!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

NIMAN wrote: »
    My point is that 10 years ago, a man with a beard stood out from the crowd.

Now there are so many beards around, despite the fact that if 4 years ago if you had asked a bearded hipster what he thought of them, he would have said never. But as soon as someone cool starts the trend, all belief goes out the window and the sheep must have them.

I am not saying beards are ugly. Just that they dont separate you from the masses.

That is not what you said in the post that I quoted. This is what you said:
    NIMAN wrote: »
    They are like beards, meant to make you hip and stand out from the crowd, but in the end it just makes you the same as everyone else.

In your post above you implied that the only reason people grow beards or get tattoos is to stand out from the crowd. Not everyone who has beard or gets a tattoo wants to stand out or be hip. Some just think it adds to their appearance, others I imagine have different reasons. Surely you get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I think anyone without a tattoo is a pussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

tattoos have their uses, one i can think of is symbolism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

I'm not too fond of them and wouldn't get one but each to their own. Those sleeve tattoos are horrible looking though, never seen a decent looking one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Hopefully if I live to 80 odd I'm going to get a tattoo on my chest with a note to the mortuary staff when I die which goes :

Do a better job on me today than one of your lot did to me grandad in 92.He looked like the joker played by Jack Nicholson.Google it and see what me granny saw.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One or two looks good but when someone looks like a two year old has had a go at them with a marker it looks grubby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

73Cat wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me why some get so bothered by what others do. I have tattoos, I got them for me and no one else and I don't give a flying sh1te what others think of them. Likewise, I am not going to ask someone why they don't have tattoos, none of my business!

You do know that you can dislike something that someone does without being bothered by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Opinions will always be divided on tattoo's being good or not but can't understand why someone will get a face tattooed on to themselves.

I knew a guy once who had the classic jack nicholson "the shining" face tattooed on to his calf (you know where he breaks through the door and goes heres Johnny)
    You even see some die hard fans getting tattoo's of famous celebrities. Weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've none myself. No problem with people having them it's just not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

You do know that you can dislike something that someone does without being bothered by it.

A lot of replies here would suggest otherwise !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

73Cat wrote: »
    A lot of replies here would suggest otherwise !

I was watching a thing on youtube on tattoos recently - a really beautiful english girl who was exploring the forbidden world of tattoing in Korea. She was a classic beauty and had perfect porcelaine skin . I kept trying to figure what it was about half her face - turned out she had had 'white' tatoos over it. Not body scarring or raising but a white tatoo. I winder if like other coloured tattoos that will fade into indigo over time like the red,yellow& blue ones do - or if ot will stay white?

She had also had her eyeballs tattood; I jest you not. Google Russian prison eyeball tattoos if you want to revisit your dinner.

ps - No. One or two of my circle but out of 40 I'd say 3, and 2 of them
    Regret it - the other is too pernamently unavailable on drinks or drugs to really have a conversation with. He struggles to find work thou - neck and hand tattoos are a mistake. iMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Any time I fancy getting one on my arm, I just picture myself in my 60s, at a family get together, wearing short sleeves and it disabuses me of the notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

this ''what about when you're 60'' notion is nonsense, any tattoo thats done properly by an artist doesn't stop being art, you dont look at the mona lisa and say ''the colour has faded a bit so its not art anymore''. if its a well thought out tattoo that you got done properly and not something like ''malaga '16'' on your arse and you love it when you're 25, the likelihood is you'll still love it when you're 80. you don't like tattoos thats fine, theyre not for you. But when someone suggests that I've no sense of foresight or ability to plan for the future by asking have i not thought about what it'll look like when I'm older is massively ignorant. (for the record I don't have any sense of foresight but still...:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Skinny jeans, tight t-shirt with chest on show, Conor McGregor beard, greasy comb-over, sleeve of tattoos, and either overly ripped or too fat to be wearing any of that. Your basic male tinder profile these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It's a fashion. Nothing more.
    Imagine never being able to take off your 70's bellbottoms, or chop off your 80's mullet.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Depp wrote: »
    this ''what about when you're 60'' notion is nonsense, any tattoo thats properly done by properly by an artist doesn't stop being art, you dont look at the mona lisa and say ''the colour has faded a bit so its not art anymore''. if its a well thought out tattoo that you got done properly and not something like ''malaga '16'' on your arse and you love it when you're 25, the likelihood is you'll still love it when you're 80. you don't like tattoos thats fine, theyre not for you. But when someone suggests that I've no sense of foresight or ability to plan for the future by asking have i not thought about what it'll look like when I'm older is massively ignorant. (for the record I don't have any sense of foresight but still...:D)

Doesn't stop being art you say.

It never was and never will be art I say.

You and a lot of others love them.

I think they look absolutely and utterly vile, manky, dirty, knackery, etc..

That said it really would be a boring world if we all thought the same so each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

this ''what about when you're 60'' notion is nonsense, any tattoo thats properly done by properly by an artist doesn't stop being art, you dont look at the mona lisa and say ''the colour has faded a bit so its not art anymore''. if its a well thought out tattoo that you got done properly and not something like ''malaga '16'' on your arse and you love it when you're 25, the likelihood is you'll still love it when you're 80. you don't like tattoos thats fine, theyre not for you. But when someone suggests that I've no sense of foresight or ability to plan for the future by asking have i not thought about what it'll look like when I'm older is massively ignorant. (for the record I don't have any sense of foresight but still...:D)

My granddad was covered in tattoos that he got during WW2. Said it was the biggest mistake of his life.

None of my aunts or uncles got tattoos as they knew what my granddad would do to them.

I don't have any nor does my brother of cousins as we know they don't look well on saggy 60 year old skin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

this ''what about when you're 60'' notion is nonsense, any tattoo thats properly done by properly by an artist doesn't stop being art, you dont look at the mona lisa and say ''the colour has faded a bit so its not art anymore''.
    Ah here, if Leo DaVinci was up for applying the ink then grand, but it is one helluva stretch to put an old master like Leo and a painting like Mona(not his best work either) in the same breath as a tattoo artist and the average tattoo, certainly the vast majority of same.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I think they look absolutely and utterly vile, manky, dirty, knackery, etc..

That said it really would be a boring world if we all thought the same so each to their own.

:confused::confused::confused:

Do you judge people on accents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I don't have any but it is something I have considered. They don't make me think any more / less of a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

"Your tattoo will look disgusting when you are wrinkled in 40 years time"

"All of me will look disgusting when I'm wrinkled in 40 years time". Tattoo ain't gonna change that. Personally I love my tattoo, Harry Potter based and dedicated to my dad. It's small, but my proudest part of my body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i hate tattoos , i think they are disgusting, show very little class

i think i have only seen 2 -3 tats that i liked.

but i will defend someones right to have them if they want though. each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't have any. When I was younger I seriously thought about getting one of a big skeleton with red glowing eyes across my chest. Obviously glad I didn't now.

What colour eyes did you go for in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hopefully if I live to 80 odd I'm going to get a tattoo on my chest with a note to the mortuary staff when I die which goes :

Do a better job on me today than one of your lot did to me grandad in 92.He looked like the joker played by Jack Nicholson.Google it and see what me granny saw.

Thanks.

That's grand as long as you don't die while getting the tattoo. The mortuary staff could be left with a "Do a bet" message.
    Down to the bookies, few pints the joke will be on you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It does seems that a lot of people under the age of 30 or 35 have tattoos. I've been toying with the idea of a tattoo for many years now but just can't decide on one that would be very original and tasteful. A discreet, modest and original tattoo can be nice.

I've no problem with tattoos but some are pretty manky. You can see why TV shows like Tattoo Fixers are popular. Some people get their tats whilst locked off their head on holidays and put in ex's names and other stuff. Cringeworthy!

For some reason gay male porn stars are big into tattoos. One fella even has his lad tattooed. Ouch!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I was watching a thing on youtube on tattoos recently - a really beautiful english girl who was exploring the forbidden world of tattoing in Korea. She was a classic beauty and had perfect porcelaine skin . I kept trying to figure what it was about half her face - turned out she had had 'white' tatoos over it. Not body scarring or raising but a white tatoo. I winder if like other coloured tattoos that will fade into indigo over time like the red,yellow& blue ones do - or if ot will stay white?

She had also had her eyeballs tattood; I jest you not. Google Russian prison eyeball tattoos if you want to revisit your dinner.

scarified no ?

http://imgur.com/wDxEHSR

you kinda missed her forked tongue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have seen a tattoo of the Nike swoosh.

Rather sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You're desperately rationalizing your Tupac tat, we get it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I love when a woman has a mans name tatooed on her back and then its over and she has to live with her stupidity or spent 1000 euro removing him. ha ha ha. Just shows you how naive the tatooed are ...... naive and stupid and they look dirty most of the time YUCK!

i hate tattoos , i think they are disgusting, show very little class

How do they show very little class?

mdwexford wrote: »
    How do they show very little class?

Because they look horrible and cheap.

I've never seen a person who looked better with that tattoo's than without.

• Advertisement

Because they look horrible and cheap.

I've never seen a person who looked better with that tattoo's than without.

They don't. Well done tattoos by talented tattoo artists look amazing.

And I've seen countless people where I thought their tattoo looked fantastic.

Whether you like them or not to say anyone who has one has very little class is an ignorant comment.

Surprised there's still so many people with these views at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't have any. I haven't ruled out the idea of getting one but knowing my luck they would make a mess of it. I've looked at the website of the tattoo shop near me and couldn't believe how bad some of the tattoos looked. Here's the worst example.

152.jpg

mdwexford wrote: »
    They don't. Well done tattoos by talented tattoo artists look amazing.

And I've seen countless people where I thought their tattoo looked fantastic.

Whether you like them or not to say anyone who has one has very little class is an ignorant comment.

Surprised there's still so many people with these views at this stage.

It was a comment on how people look not on their personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Annani

I don't have any tattoos but I've seen some awesome looking maori type tattoos on lads.

I find the full body Jeremy McConnell type tattoos really offputting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Annani wrote: »
    I don't have any tattoos but I've seen some awesome looking maori type tattoos on lads.

I find the full body Jeremy McConnell type tattoos really offputting.

i love how so many people on this threads only exposure to tattoos is reality tv...

• Advertisement
Advertisement