Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does everyone have tattoos nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I don't have any. I haven't ruled out the idea of getting one but knowing my luck they would make a mess of it. I've looked at the website of the tattoo shop near me and couldn't believe how bad some of the tattoos looked. Here's the worst example.

That is awful.

That is one bad thing in that there are some real awful guys out there but it's just a matter of doing a lot of research and finding an artist that is brilliant at the style you want. Go check out the shop and talk to them and make sure you are happy with everything before you commit.
    It was a comment on how people look not on their personality.

So they just look like they have very little class. Oh that's much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

mdwexford wrote: »
    That is awful.

That is one bad thing in that there are some real awful guys out there but it's just a matter of doing a lot of research and finding an artist that is brilliant at the style you want. Go check out the shop and talk to them and make sure you are happy with everything before you commit.

So they just look like they have very little class. Oh that's much better.

Yeah, it is actually.They look manky.

Rihanna's a really nice looking woman and she's ruined herself with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

the 1950s called, they want their opinions back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Its fashionable and it will become unfashionable soon enough. 
    Can you imagine being stuck with your haircut and jeans from 1999 for the rest of your life. That's what these clowns will have to endure.

Depp wrote: »
    the 1950s called, they want their opinions back :D

I don't find them aesthetically pleasing. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I'm 26, never had the appeal of getting a tattoo, my girlfriend has 3. Depends on the person really.

No it's not, it's stupid.
    In your opinion they look manky, and these days you are in the minority.

Can you imagine being stuck with your haircut and jeans from 1999 for the rest of your life. That's what these clowns will have to endure.

What clueless nonsense, I'd suggest you are the clown for posting such rubbish.

It's not like tattoos have been around two or three years.
    Unfashionable, so you think people will stop getting tattoos soon enough and all parlours will close down, what's your basis and timeframe for this?

Jeans from 1999 and jeans from today look pretty similar to me so I'd be fine with that.

I don't find them aesthetically pleasing. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's like that.

you can dislike something without generalizing everyone that has one as haviing little class you know. See you cant really judge a persons personality based on their tattoos but you can judge when someone comes out with statements like that...and youll probably be correct.

also re describing tattoos as cheap...great indicator of how much you actually know about them really :D

tattoos are around about 5000 years, if you're waiting for ''the fashion to die out'' you might be waiting a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

tattoos are around about 5000 years, if you're waiting for ''the fashion to die out'' you might be waiting a while...

bet they looked well **** in 3000BC

No it's not, it's stupid.
    In your opinion they look manky, and these days you are in the minority.

Do people have to preface every single comment on this board with in my opinion?

Seeing as I'm making the comment who elses opinion would it be.

you can dislike something without generalizing everyone that has one as haviing little class you know. See you cant really judge a persons personality based on their tattoos but you can judge when someone comes out with statements like that...and youll probably be correct.

also re describing tattoos as cheap...great indicator of how much you actually know about them really :D

I gave an opinion that they look cheap.In my opinion they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I do think a certain amount is because tattoos are fashionable right now. (Not all, by any means. There have always been and will always be people who do it regardless of fashion) It will be interesting to see what happens in ten years time, when the trend changes. And for the poster upthread who said 'you can always get them removed' - it's not always successful, especially on darker skin, so I wouldn't want to be relying on it.

I don't have any tattoos and probably wouldn't get one. I just don't particularly like the look of them, and wouldn't want to be tied to something long-term that I might get tired of. I think plain black tattoos look much better than coloured ones, and I think big ones look better than small ones. If I was going to get one, I think I'd get a large version of this, covering most of my back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm 28 and don't have any. I think some are nice. A few of my friends have them and I do like them. Some awful ones out there too though. A few of the girls I went to school with just got one "to have a tattoo" when they were in their teens. Usually a Chinese symbol, star, or lower back tattoo. Most people I've spoken to with these type of tattoos regret them..

I was thinking of getting some a few years ago but I know I would just get bored of them after a while. Glad I didn't get any in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I've yet to see a 'decent' tattoo

They all look awful

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I've yet to see a 'decent' tattoo

They all look awful

you should look harder there are an awful lot of them around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think they're awful things.

As for "sleeves" - they just look like a big mess on someone's arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

These are only my opinions just as yours are.

In my option they are crass and cheap. They make people look cheap.
    I have yet to meat anyone that I thought improved themselves with one. .
    They look disgusting when people are covered in them. Especially on the face, neck hands etc.

Maybe it is an old fashioned view but I do think less of most people covered in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

In my option they are crass and cheap. They make people look cheap. I have yet to meat anyone that I thought improved themselves with one. . They look disgusting when people are covered in them. Especially on the face, neck hands etc.

These are only my opinions just as yours are.

In my option they are crass and cheap. They make people look cheap. I have yet to meat anyone that I thought improved themselves with one. . They look disgusting when people are covered in them. Especially on the face, neck hands etc.

Maybe it is an old fashioned view but I do think less of most people covered in them

I'd say you're yet to meat anyone full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Don't have any. I'd imagine I'd get pretty sick of looking at it and want to scrub it off or something. Wouldn't judge others for having them if they wanted them, just not into them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Don't like them. I think they are cheap and definitely don't enhance a person. Feel free to tattoo yourself like the lizard man for all I care though, it is your body after all and you can do what you want to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i like them if they are good
    hate them if they are crap
    i'm a biker and a pagan and a metalhead but apart from the ones i did in bic biro ink with a needle and a sewing needle nearly 30 years ago (that have faded to nothing at this stage) i dont have any
    Mrs Tigger has tatoos and while i like the ones she has i don't like when she talks about getting more .
    i think i just dont like change

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

I got a footlong black rabbit on my forearm in honour of my footy team , Don't give an absolute **** what anyone thinks , and no , its not going to look crap when Im old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I have a couple of large bright tattoos on my chest. They're not to everyone's taste, but I love them. They're part of me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Tigger wrote: »
    i like them if they are good
    hate them if they are crap
    i'm a biker and a pagan and a metalhead but apart from the ones i did in bic biro ink with a needle and a sewing needle nearly 30 years ago (that have faded to nothing at this stage) i dont have any
    Mrs Tigger has tatoos and while i like the ones she has i don't like when she talks about getting more .
    i think i just dont like change

Great ad below your post, considering the last line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I got a tattoo down my shin in 2006 and I remember people pointing and staring at it back then. It's just over 10 years ago and now I wouldn't even be noticed.

Huge explosion in tattoos in the past decade and are now common place. Still some taboo about visible tattoos (neck, hands, head etc) but generally they are just accepted as past of modern day life.

In my dad's day tattoos were for sailers and convicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

I personally don't like the look of tattoos but I have no problem with anyone having one. Except for maybe I always preferred men I was interested in to not have any. It wouldn't be an absolute deal-breaker, just a preference. If I really liked a guy with one, I'm not sure I'd be put off if he had a tat. It's never been an issue though, never been with a guy with one. But in friends, family and the general public, I could not care less. I do believe a time will come when visible tattoos will be fully accepted in workplaces. (I think they already are in some)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I got a footlong black rabbit on my forearm in honour of my footy team , Don't give an absolute **** what anyone thinks , and no , its not going to look crap when Im old

It looks crap already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

you should look harder there are an awful lot of them around

You are being mighty defensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I love the argument that people have against tattoos - "but when your old and wrinkly its going to look terrible".

Jesus if im old and wrinkly im going to look terrible anyway, who cares if there is an extra tattoo in there, makes things more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Annani wrote: »
    I don't have any tattoos but I've seen some awesome looking maori type tattoos on lads.

Knew a guy from Strokestown would had one. I'm sure there are a few Kiwis out there who have gotten a tractor tattoo or something. Just to keep things in equilibrium.

If you're getting a tattoo, at least try to make it somewhat personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or Irish people getting thoughtful words in Hindu or Pawnee on their bodies.

Why not get them in English?

"You know this is my kids name in Hindu"
    "Oh yeah, whats your kids name"
    "Caiden"
    "Right so, of course it is."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stop having a mundane life and you won't have need for reality TV nor tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Would love to get one but cant think of anything Iv done in my life worth printing on my skin. Personally, it has to be a brilliant story or a momentous achievement. Was thinking of getting one related to Karate years ago but I realized its not that hard to get a black belt (just stick at it, you'll have it in 4 years or quicker if the organization is ****ty) and I also couldn't fight worth a dam anyway. Knew a fella who had a big celtic cross on his shoulder. Wasn't religious or big into history. Looked alright but from my POV why? In saying that I was interested in getting an exploded engine drawing after I rebuilt my bike so I guess tattoos are 100% subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

funny how in the last ten years they've gone from being a feature of the working classes and/or ex-cons, to being adopted by the middle classes as a sort of "look at me and how edgy i am" type of thing.

biko wrote: »
    Stop having a mundane life and you won't have need for reality TV nor tattoos.

Oh the irony.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

What clueless nonsense, I'd suggest you are the clown for posting such rubbish.

It's not like tattoos have been around two or three years.
    Unfashionable, so you think people will stop getting tattoos soon enough and all parlours will close down, what's your basis and timeframe for this?

Jeans from 1999 and jeans from today look pretty similar to me so I'd be fine with that.
    You seem hysterical.

Not everyone likes tattoos. Simple.

Gavinz wrote: »
    You seem hysterical.

Not everyone likes tattoos. Simple.

You seem unable to follow a simple conversation.

If you read the silly things they posted my response is normal.

Obviously people don't like all the same things. That's a good thing. It's when people use derogatory abjectives to describe people with tattoos or other such nonsense that it lets themselves down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

If people made decisions on how it would impact their 60's then they would love very sheltered lives.

"Better not have that Mars bar. Might end up with diabetes and no teeth"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm not a fan of them for the most part. I would never be enough of a dick to say that to someone who had one or to tell someone what they can put on their own body, but they just seem like a generally bad idea to me because of the permanence. It's a fashion accessory for the most part, and fashions change. Someone compared it to a beard but the thing is, you can shave a beard. If you have a trendy haircut that goes out of style you can change it, or you can buy a new pair of shoes. I'd really hate to be stuck with a fashion decision like that for the rest of my life. Hell, even if you look at it as art, I'd be pretty uncomfortable hanging a painting on my wall that I could never take down again and that would follow me around everywhere I went, because I'd expect to be sick of looking at it after a few years.

On top of that, I have to say that a lot (not all) just don't look good to begin with or don't suit the person getting them. It's one thing if you're a rockstar or something and get some or if you really know what you're doing with it but it seems like a lot of people just hop on and want to get something because it's a trend. I think any tattoo with a human face on it looks pretty garish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

You seem unable to follow a simple conversation.

If you read the silly things they posted my response is normal.

Obviously people don't like all the same things. That's a good thing. It's when people use derogatory abjectives to describe people with tattoos or other such nonsense that it lets themselves down.
    I'm perfectly able to follow a conversation, thanks.

I just hate to see a grown man cry. Even virtually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mr.S wrote: »
    Silly attitude imo.

I love the argument of "but its going to look wrinkly in 20/30 years", do you really live your life in such a way that that you worry about 30 years in the future!?

Aye, I do. That's why I gave up smoking, don't drink like George Best and never took up heroin.

Gavinz wrote: »
    I'm perfectly able to follow a conversation, thanks.

I just hate to see a grown man cry. Even virtually.

If you were you would know how stupid your comment was.

But you've followed up with another humdinger so I guess you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Most tattoos are like putting go-faster stripes and a "No Fear" sticker on a Ferrari.

I think the human body is amazing as it is. But it's your body/Ferrari to do what you want with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

animaal wrote: »
    Most tattoos are like putting go-faster stripes and a "No Fear" sticker on a Ferrari.

I think the human body is amazing as it is. But it's your body/Ferrari to do what you want with.

Have you ever looked at the architecture on the Sistine Chapel? It's phenomenal. Only some gob****e has drawn all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have "Pineapple Uncle" written in sanskrit with some tasteful tribal designs tatooed on the small of my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Have you ever looked at the architecture on the Sistine Chapel? It's phenomenal. Only some gob****e has drawn all over it.

True. But most of the "art" we see sprayed onto buildings around here isn't in the same league as the Sistine Chapel. And the same goes for most tattoos.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm pretty neutral about tattoos, some are good, some are terrible. Generally I don't care about them. Certainly wouldn't put me off a woman :D.

I don't have any myself and I can't see that changing, though I wouldn't rule it out 100%.

I've encountered people before who are vehemently anti-tattoo, to the point they get angry about the subject of other people's tattoos. I find this a bit strange.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Please don't compare tattoo artists to Michaelangelo.

Advertisement