Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does everyone have tattoos nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I've yet to see a 'decent' tattoo

They all look awful
    Must be interesting to have met everyone that has a tattoo.

I don't know why people can't just say "I don't like them" and leave it at that. That's enough. That's your opinion. There's no need to get so rant-y and abusive about it - awful/ vile/ manky/ knackery.. Grow up. Just because everyone else's opinion doesn't match yours doesn't mean they are wrong.
    Some people have them.
    Some people don't.
    Some people like them.
    Some people don't.
    No-one, whether you like them or not, can generalise about ALL tattoos. Its that simple.
    I have one. A pretty big one. Took me years to decide on it. I adore it. Planning on 1 or 2 more small ones.. There are some I've seen that are stunning there are some that I've seen that are ridiculous. No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

mcgiggles wrote: »

I don't know why people can't just say "I don't like them" and leave it at that. That's enough. That's your opinion. There's no need to get so rant-y and abusive about it - awful/ vile/ manky/ knackery.. Grow up. Just because everyone else's opinion doesn't match yours doesn't mean they are wrong.
    Some people have them.
    Some people don't.
    Some people like them.
    Some people don't.
    No-one, whether you like them or not, can generalise about ALL tattoos. Its that simple.
    I have one. A pretty big one. Took me years to decide on it. I adore it. Planning on 1 or 2 more small ones.. There are some I've seen that are stunning there are some that I've seen that are ridiculous. No big deal.

surely the same applies to why you like them.
    my reasons for hating them are just as valid your for loving them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bambi985 wrote: »
    funny how in the last ten years they've gone from being a feature of the working classes and/or ex-cons, to being adopted by the middle classes as a sort of "look at me and how edgy i am" type of thing.

Or put simply, they are fashionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

Tattoos look very knackesish, i feel sorry for anyone who has one. Do you not realise how silly you will look in a few years time with your wrinkled up skin

Some people get them for themselves and aren't phased about what other people think. They neither want nor need your pity.

If they're happy, who cares? You're entitled to your opinion but what you hate another person may love. And where's the harm in that? Live and let live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

How will I look when I'm 70 with tattoos? Like a badass. What are you going to look like, the same as every other old fart?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Answer is no, everyone doesn't have tattoos nowadays!! Fairly silly question really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How will I look when I'm 70 with tattoos? Like a badass. What are you going to look like, the same as every other old fart?

RGBRx9S.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

surely the same applies to why you like them.
    my reasons for hating them are just as valid your for loving them

Pity you couldn't understand his post.

He didn't give reasons for loving them. He said people get abusive over them. Funny you don't see the people who have tattoos using derogatory terms to describe those who don't have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

mdwexford wrote: »
    Pity you couldn't understand his post.

He didn't give reasons for loving them. He said people get abusive over them. Funny you don't see the people who have tattoos using derogatory terms to describe those who don't have any.

What about a few pages back . Words like stupid were used to describe one of the tattoo haters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What about a few pages back . Words like stupid were used to describe one of the tattoo haters.

You're really still not getting it.

I like tattoos, I have tattoos, I prefer the appearance of a body with good tattoos to a body with no tattoos. That's a legitimate, perfectly reasonable opinion.

"People without tattoos look boring, god they must have no imagination. They don't have the balls to get a tattoo probably. They look stupid, they're only not having tattoos so they can look like everybody else" << not really a reasonable or valid opinion. See?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

mcgiggles wrote: »

Some people have them.
    Some people don't.
    Some people like them.
    Some people don't.

People are free to cover themselves in tattoos for all I care. It's their choice

I just voiced my opinion that every tattoo I see looks crap.
    Doesn't matter what language or symbol is used, it just looks like crap to me.

Most people don't go near them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Tattoos = Look at me I'm interesting

First Dates = Look at me I'm interesting

You're really still not getting it.

I like tattoos, I have tattoos, I prefer the appearance of a body with good tattoos to a body with no tattoos. That's a legitimate, perfectly reasonable opinion.

"People without tattoos look boring, god they must have no imagination. They don't have the balls to get a tattoo probably. They look stupid, they're only not having tattoos so they can look like everybody else" << not really a reasonable or valid opinion. See?
    i have no problem with you or anyone else having tattooos. i never said otherwise.

you like them i dont . whats the pronlem.

thats not the stupid i was thinking about .. i will have to find it

i have no problem with you or anyone else having tattooos. i never said otherwise.

you like them i dont . whats the pronlem.

thats not the stupid i was thinking about .. i will have to find it

The OTT and frankly rude way in which you* express your opinion and the weird and negative inferences being made about people based on their tattoos. A tattoo doesn't mean anything about a person other than 'that person has a tattoo'

*I don't mean to single you out in particular, there are plenty posters at the same in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I love tattoos, I have a number of them, started when I was 17 and haven't any regretted yet. OH has a number of tattoos too, including a full sleeve. We both hang around with "artsy" people so I suppose tattoos would be seen as more common place among us, but I know plenty of people my age (mid 20's) without tattoos who don't like them.

What kind of people are "artsy"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hate them, and don't get me started on that sh!te about the life story on them. If I wanted you're life story, I'd just ask - not start at your neck and work down to your wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What kind of people are "artsy"?

Conor McGregor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

antodeco wrote: »
    I'd love to get the views of the people in the tattoos and piercings form. To make an educated debate as oppose to most here saying they them.

My OH has around 14 including a sleeve. She loves them. I have 6, all hidden. Out and about you'd never know I'd have them, but topless, you would.

Do people hate them? Of course. It's their right.
    Do people hate peanut butter? Of course.

Do people who have tattoos like peanut butter? Of course.

Everyone likes things that others hate. Everyone's hates things that others like.

If it ain't harming anyone, then let it be. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Unfortunately, people sometimes use opinions to mock others,as oppose to accept differences.

Excellent post.

Wouldn't get a tattoo myself but lots of people like them and it's their own business if they want to get one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

RGBRx9S.gif

Posters talking here about tattoos being a "new fashion" yet that comic is 21 years old!

I like some tattoos, hate others. Won't judge anyone for a choice they made though. I have a small one myself that I got 7 years ago and no regrets yet. I had been planning it for two years before that though. Drew it on my wrist almost every day to see if I would get sick of it. Never did then and haven't now. If that makes me "lower class" then so be it. Other choices have had a much stronger effect on my life than a bit of ink!

• Advertisement

[
    The OTT and frankly rude way in which you* express your opinion and the weird and negative inferences being made about people based on their tattoos. A tattoo doesn't mean anything about a person other than 'that person has a tattoo'

*I don't mean to single you out in particular, there are plenty posters at the same in the thread.

i take your point but i never insulted anyone,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

Posters talking here about tattoos being a "new fashion" yet that comic is 21 years old!

I like some tattoos, hate others. Won't judge anyone for a choice they made though. I have a small one myself that I got 7 years ago and no regrets yet. I had been planning it for two years before that though. Drew it on my wrist almost every day to see if I would get sick of it. Never did then and haven't now. If that makes me "lower class" then so be it. Other choices have had a much stronger effect on my life than a bit of ink!

faded wrinkly tats can always be redone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The missing variables here are possibly alcohol and/or nostalgia.

To be fair there are so many types of tattoo that it's impossible to say I don't the like them all. They used to be a sailor/military thing with an anchor on the firearm, or 'i heart mum'. Then there are ones for fathers who never see their children to help them remember their children's names and DOBs. And there are joke tattoos, a mate got a tattoo on his arse on holidays because he lost a bet - clown.

The artistic ones can be class. They used to be a sign of roughness but now they're more a sign of extroversion. Each to their own.

I didn't see that and in fairness a lot worse has been used from the other side and by a lot of people.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    People are free to cover themselves in tattoos for all I care. It's their choice

I just voiced my opinion that every tattoo I see looks crap.
    Doesn't matter what language or symbol is used, it just looks like crap to me.

Most people don't go near them

Can't understand anyone saying that when some of them are clearly amazing drawings. If you don't want them on your skin that's your prerogative but to say every tattoo is crap is just ignorant.

I'd love to see how many people aged between 18-35 have tattoos.
    I'd say the majority have a tattoo these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 zzzzzzzzzzzo

tattoos like scars on a body is a body well used

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

antodeco wrote: »
    I'd love to get the views of the people in the tattoos and piercings form. To make an educated debate as oppose to most here saying they them.

My OH has around 14 including a sleeve. She loves them. I have 6, all hidden. Out and about you'd never know I'd have them, but topless, you would.

Do people hate them? Of course. It's their right.
    Do people hate peanut butter? Of course.

Do people who have tattoos like peanut butter? Of course.

Everyone likes things that others hate. Everyone's hates things that others like.

If it ain't harming anyone, then let it be. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Unfortunately, people sometimes use opinions to mock others,as oppose to accept differences.

Best post in the thread so far.
    These threads come up here every few weeks and it may aswell be a merry go round.
    Some people think they're **** ,some people love them.But as I reply..I couldn't care less.
    I've 2 full sleeves,most of my legs covered,starting on a chest piece on Friday,back piece is planned.Im even planning getting my hands inked.
    If you saw me in my everyday job you wouldn't know I even had one tattoo.
    Then people ask why I got them if you can't see them.
    And my reply-- they're for me and no one else.Simple as really.I didn't get them to show off.i got the as a "collector"
    Some people collect stamps..I collect tattoos.
    As for what they'll look like in 40 years.A quote from a well known artist.

"I'll be more worried about being able to wipe my own arse than what my tattoos look like when I'm 80"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I write this with someone who has tattoos, and I actually hate them! I think they look ridiculous to be honest and I never wear a t shirt. When people ask me about them I get sort of embarrassed. I thought they were nice at the time - HA. I Dunno what to do, removal I suppose down the line. Cover up with more - no waaaay. I literally crave a clear skin coloured arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think saying that the majority of 18-35 years have a tattoo is a long way off!

In Ireland? Ah no. Sizeable minority of the under 30s I'd say but not the majority

• Advertisement

I think saying that the majority of 18-35 years have a tattoo is a long way off!
    In Ireland? Ah no. Sizeable minority of the under 30s I'd say but not the majority

Maybe I'm way off then.

Just going by people I see going round the place and people I know.
    Thought it would be pretty close.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Sample group: In my local group of friends, all around 26, there are 18 of us and I'm the only one with a tattoo. From college friends, I think that 2 out of 12 have a tattoo. So that's 3 in 30 or 10%.

Obviously that's only a certain group but thats my experience. Certainly not a majority!

EDIT: Just asked my 19 year old brother about his group of friends and he estimated that a max of 30% of his friends have tattoos. Higher but still an average of only 20%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Dermagraphics? Yeah. I'm covered in the things. But, I had most of mine done forty odd years ago.

How do they look now? God knows. I haven't even glanced at my own body in over a decade now. It's an appalling enough sight; With or without ink.

Anyone considering getting them today? Sure. It's your skin.

Only, a tip; First of all, take a ball point pen and draw on the design of ye choosing. Let it dry.

Then, lick the end of ye finger and rub it, really hard, on the ink. Keep doing that.

That'll give ye a good idea how it'll look in five or ten years time :)

Apparently 1 in 3 young adults in the UK have a tattoo so that's 33%.
    That was also two years ago so I'd imagine that number increased since then.

Can't find any Irish numbers.

Stigura wrote: »

Then, lick the end of ye finger and rub it, really hard, on the ink. Keep doing that.

That'll give ye a good idea how it'll look in five or ten years time :)

Ehh, not unless it was badly done or cared for in the first place, or you spend that five to ten years on a sunbed.

Source: I have tattoos in that age range

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I'm a woman, I have a tattoo. I was 35 when I got it, it does mean something to me and I don't give a hoot what others think of it. Just curious as to 'the types of people who have tattoos' air that is floating around this thread. I'm well educated, well travelled, professional job...not the 'type' you'd think would have one according to some.
    I've met people with tattoos who were among the most decent people I've ever met.
    I know people without them that are are some of the nastiest, most horrible people I've ever met. Point is it having a tattoo has no implications on who you are as a person. However judging people for a decision that has absolutely no bearing on you or your life and using words like vile or disgusting is very telling about your character.
    If you don't like them don't bloody get one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

I will get a tattoo if it transforms me into a tinder stud with a budget of 100 euro!! What matters is what you think of your tattoo i guess. I think a tattoo that you can show off and cover up, at your discretion is a really good idea. There is a really beautiful girl at work, she is stunning looking and one day she had her hair up and had a tattoo on the back of her neck.

We all make judgements on people based on how they look, talk etc, people with tattoos do the same we all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MeeMoo

I don't have any tattoo but I consider it as a piece of art .
    Maybe in one day I will get one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ehh, not unless it was badly done or cared for in the first place, or you spend that five to ten years on a sunbed.

Source: I have tattoos in that age range

Badly Done? LOL-1.gif Darren Stares isn't exactly renowned for doing bad work!

I'd cared for a fair few before these. And, no; I don't do sun beds.

No. I just glanced at a couple of my older ones. " Traditional " work, as was the norm, back then. The reds and yellows are still nice. Green tends to fade. Black wording? Forget it!

Darren did me two snakes, entwined. He even decided to give each one different shaped scales, so one could differentiate. Sort of craftsman he is :)

Sadly, being Black Work, of the sort widely favoured today .....

Snakes_zps3pvibufo.jpg

But, I'd not dictate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I'm curious about whether some of these elaborate "tattoos" are, in fact, permanently etched on the skin or created by some kind of transfer which can be erased at a later stage, if desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I'm curious about whether some of these elaborate "tattoos" are, in fact, permanently etched on the skin or created by some kind of transfer which can be erased at a later stage, if desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Ive none

Then again maybe everyone you see showing them off is doing just that because they have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Maybe people are just wearing less clothes these days and putting everything on show :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Badly Done? Darren Stares isn't exactly renowned for doing bad work!

No. I just glanced at a couple of my older ones. " Traditional " work, as was the norm, back then. The reds and yellows are still nice. Green tends to fade. Black wording? Forget it!

Darren did me two snakes, entwined. He even decided to give each one different shaped scales, so one could differentiate. Sort of craftsman he is :)

You could get it touched up. When I got mine done, I was told that it's recommended to touch them up every 20 years or so. They won't look like new, but they'll have definition again anyway.

Snakes_zps3pvibufo.jpg

But, I'd not dictate ;)

I'm not saying tatts won't fade, I'm saying they won't fade to any real extent in five to ten years as long as they're well done and well cared for. Twenty years or so and yeah the fading will be noticeable, that's what touch ups are for!

The one in the attached picture is in black, it's seven or eight years old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

To be fair there are so many types of tattoo that it's impossible to say I don't the like them all. They used to be a sailor/military thing with an anchor on the firearm, or 'i heart mum'. Then there are ones for fathers who never see their children to help them remember their children's names and DOBs. And there are joke tattoos, a mate got a tattoo on his arse on holidays because he lost a bet - clown.

The artistic ones can be class. They used to be a sign of roughness but now they're more a sign of extroversion. Each to their own.

This is a reply to a post I made in the KFC thread. wtf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Tattoos themselves obviously aren't a new concept but they're relatively recent as a fashion idea and are much more mainstream today than they were 21 years ago when that comic was made (in my parents time the only people who got tattoos in Ireland were sailors or gang members). However, the point is not that tattoos as a general concept are going to go out of style, it's that the tattoo you get today will, and you can't update it to the newest one like you can with your haircut.
    Apparently 1 in 3 young adults in the UK have a tattoo so that's 33%.
    That was also two years ago so I'd imagine that number increased since then.

Can't find any Irish numbers.

I really don't think it has. Tattooing as a mainstream trend has been a thing for at least 5 years now, it didn't spike much in the last 48 months.
    chicorytip wrote: »

Well of course you can always have it removed with surgery, although it doesn't technically remove the ink, it just buries it deeper in the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

People have been tattooing their skin for centuries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is a reply to a post I made in the KFC thread. wtf

Ha! Classic. I'm using the android app so I must have clicked on it by mistake and posted without noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Have no tattoos
    Have never commented about anybody else's tattoos
    My guilty pleasure is looking down on them:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Snakes_zps3pvibufo.jpg

But, I'd not dictate ;)

"Older" in this case would have to be quite old; I've tattoo's that were done 10 years ago and they're essentially as good as the day I got them.

Technique and quality has altered drastically in time, also.

The tattoo in your picture looks like it was done either a) badly b) a very long time ago (as in decades) or c) a combination of both.

There is always the option of touch up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement