Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does everyone have tattoos nowadays?

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's all about conformity.
    Let's just take 2 groups, one group wears suit and tie and the other tattoos and whatever else you're having, could be hipsters, bikers, metal heads, whatever.
    Ever noticed how the 2nd group will say "whatever you're into, man" and the first group will describe the second group as kn*ackers, wasters, criminals and many more unpleasant things.
    It must go back to school uniforms. The first group had conformity bate into them, along with a desire to bully and belittle others who do not conform to their ideas.
    The second group would be more free thinkers and creative people. They resisted the programming. Maybe the tattoo group is mentally stronger?
    When is the last time you saw someone with purple hair and tats walk up to a suit and call them a white collar criminal?
    I'd trust a person with tats and piercings over some oily guy in a suit trying to sell me something.
    So to me suits are disgusting. They stand for white collar crime, corruption and deceit. Would automatically distrust someone in a suit. And most of them are manky, cheap, horrible nylon and polyester jobbies I would refuse to be buried in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Let's just take 2 groups, one group wears suit and tie and the other tattoos and whatever else you're having, could be hipsters, bikers, metal heads, whatever.
    Ever noticed how the 2nd group will say "whatever you're into, man" and the first group will describe the second group as kn*ackers, wasters, criminals and many more unpleasant things.
    It must go back to school uniforms. The first group had conformity bate into them, along with a desire to bully and belittle others who do not conform to their ideas.
    The second group would be more free thinkers and creative people. They resisted the programming. Maybe the tattoo group is mentally stronger?
    When is the last time you saw someone with purple hair and tats walk up to a suit and call them a white collar criminal?
    I'd trust a person with tats and piercings over some oily guy in a suit trying to sell me something.
    So to me suits are disgusting. They stand for white collar crime, corruption and deceit. Would automatically distrust someone in a suit. And most of them are manky, cheap, horrible nylon and polyester jobbies I would refuse to be buried in.

So what about someone who wears a suit and has tattoos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Frankly no, because those are absurd and ridiculous stereotypes.

pilly wrote: »

That is of course a conundrum. :D

Frankly no, because those are absurd and ridiculous stereotypes.

Yes, I was exaggerating, but to my mind the tattoo wearers would say "whatever you're into" and most of the "horrible, knackerish" comments come from the non tattoo camp.
    To me the first group seems more open minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yes, I was exaggerating, but to my mind the tattoo wearers would say "whatever you're into" and most of the "horrible, knackerish" comments come from the non tattoo camp.
    To me the first group seems more open minded.

You can be open minded and not have tattoos. They're not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You can be open minded and not have tattoos. They're not mutually exclusive.
    But it's AH, so you can't, and they are.

osarusan wrote: »
    But it's AH, so you can't, and they are.

I forgot. Once you get that tattoo of your kid's name so you won't forget what you called them then you're sticking it to the man, man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I forgot. Once you get that tattoo of your kid's name so you won't forget what you called them then you're sticking it to the man, man!!!

Last time I heard that one I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Last time I heard that one I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur.

The last time I saw that retort I was so devastated my dial up disconnected in sympathy…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Each to their own and all that, I've rarely seen a tattoo that looked attractive, tasteful and original. They can look OK on clear smooth skin or Mediterranean complexion. On Irish people they tend to look knackerish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

pilly wrote: »

They're entitled to their day in court. Innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I absolutely hate them and I'm young.They are vile looking and I have no idea of the appeal of them as they don't enhance how anybody looks and just imagine how unbelievably horrible they're going to look on wrinkly skin in 20 or 30 years time when all the young people who have them start to age.

I doubt many people regret their tattoo 30 years later, I'm sure there are much bigger things to worry about.

I love tattoos, have a few, especially love men with tattoos! Generally speaking I hate generic tattoos, the usual things you see unless someone has a really valid reason for having a common tattoo, they don't interest me. Artsy, original, quirky tats great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Were you aiming for irony? I hope so, for your sake.
    The second group in your example are conforming to their own stereotype. And you're the one throwing around insults in this post - but 'whatever, you're into, man. As long as you're not into wearing a suit'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

They're entitled to their day in court. Innocent until proven guilty.

there it is, the most ignorant thing thats going to be posted in this thread, congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Depp wrote: »
    there it is, the most ignorant thing thats going to be posted in this thread, congrats!

Lol. Thought it was a good line. I'm a late 20's male and I don't see tattoo's as a reason not to trust someone. Anyone in a suit with gel in the hair on the other hand wouldn't get a used hanky from me.

Ah, get over yourself. It was a joke…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

See, you should get a tattoo, you'd be a little more chilled. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I've 6 pretty big tattoos that I got 13 years ago in a buzz I went on at the time.
    I hate my own personal ones as I wished I had of took more time and planned better...
    I do get embarrassed when I bring my kid swimming as they are all on display...

31 year old me and 18 year old me are two completely different people and I do think anyone getting inked should at the every least wait until they are 27/28 and have enough adult life experience under their belt to make a decision.

That said, I do still love tattoos :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

They are rarely nice or tasteful imo. I don't have any, nor will I ever. Ones that extend from the arms-shoulders to up the neck.. just why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

I think that tattoos are hilarious - in the sense that they are so unnecessary(but that's my personal opinion).

A very good friend of mine is covered in them. They don't offend me in the slightest. Doesn't stop me from thinking they are dumb - and I've told him this and he agrees to disagree with me and doesn't get offended, however he likes them and that's his business and I can appreciate that.
    I like techno music and I can see why people hate it - but it doesn't stop me liking it - live and let live - I think if you're happy to have a tattoo then you shouldn't get to angsty when somebody says they don't like them - and likewise if you hate tattoos you should understand that some people love them. It's really a case of taste or lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I like to stand out in a crowd......no tattoos here

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Seems to be a mixed bag here, perhaps leaning a little towards those who dislike them...

I see the odd female with something particularly small which is passable but the vast vast majority are vile looking. Usually sported by idiot, scummer, skangery knackers. Dublin in particular seems to be full of them.

The few more sensible looking people are either current/former Marilyn Manson fans or lads who were bullied at school and have turned to Geordie Shore for inspiration.

I was thinking of getting into tattoo removal as it can only be a goldmine in the future. Having to deal with such scobies is the only drawback I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Estrellita wrote: »
    They are rarely nice or tasteful imo. I don't have any, nor will I ever. Ones that extend from the arms-shoulders to up the neck.. just why.

Because there cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

damienirel wrote: »
    I think that tattoos are hilarious - in the sense that they are so unnecessary(but that's my personal opinion).

A very good friend of mine is covered in them. They don't offend me in the slightest. Doesn't stop me from thinking they are dumb - and I've told him this and he agrees to disagree with me and doesn't get offended, however he likes them and that's his business and I can appreciate that.
    I like techno music and I can see why people hate it - but it doesn't stop me liking it - live and let live - I think if you're happy to have a tattoo then you shouldn't get to angsty when somebody says they don't like them - and likewise if you hate tattoos you should understand that some people love them. It's really a case of taste or lack of.

Jaysus.
    A reasonable AH poster.
    Nicely put.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Seems to be a mixed bag here, perhaps leaning a little towards those who dislike them...

I see the odd female with something particularly small which is passable but the vast vast majority are vile looking. Usually sported by idiot, scummer, skangery knackers. Dublin in particular seems to be full of them.

The few more sensible looking people are either current/former Marilyn Manson fans or lads who were bullied at school and have turned to Geordie Shore for inspiration.

I was thinking of getting into tattoo removal as it can only be a goldmine in the future. Having to deal with such scobies is the only drawback I can see.

Very apt user name judging by that post!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Irish people seem particularly heavily tattooed in comparison with on the continent. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the majority over 18 and under 30...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

...oh wait, you're serious?

You are right though, it is all about conformity and in both of your camps described above. Humans are social animals and naturally want to fit in and tend to herd together in broad groups(with subgroups abounding). Even the school uniforms you mention plug into this, an attempt to force a social group and sense of belonging where fewer outliers and less friction may result.

Within any such human group(s) the "other" is seen as at best quaint, but mostly lesser. So to take your broad stroke groups, the Suits will consider the Hipsters not quite of their stock and vice versa. Both groups will consider their group the better, the more "open minded". Yes, even the dyed in the wool suited "conservatives". I've met a few of the latter who just like a few of the "nonconformists" with nary an inward glance were eager to state how open they were, yet they were so narrow minded they could look through a keyhole with both eyes.

Oh and the "hipsters, bikers, metal heads, whatever" are every bit as "conformist" as any suburban suited wine glass clinking dinner party. It's only their props and social group signals and signalling that changes. They can often be more so. Hell many is the suburban cardigan wearer that was a member of the "nonconformists" when young. The true "nonconformist" is almost certainly a hermit. Maybe hermits have a whatsapp group? "I'm more hermit than you are!!" and so on and so forth. Wouldn't surprise.

Take the title of this thread. While sniffing of hyperbole it certainly could be argued that tattoos(and body mods) are far more "mainstream" among the young(and not so young) than they were 30 years ago, when a bloke with an ear piercing was seen as a tad edgy. Went triple for the Irish Middle Class(™). Today few peers of say a 20 year old would bat an eyelid at a full sleeve. There's far less an edgy component, so yeah, pretty mainstream.
    Jaysus.
    A reasonable AH poster.
    Nicely put.
    I know TE. WTF like? :D D nailed it for me too alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

Alot of Irish people have the same tattos and lack originality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Yes. You should get a neck tattoo OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

percy212 wrote: »
    Yes. You should get a neck tattoo OP.

Or teardrops are class

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Tattoos are so yesterday, scars are where it's at!
    My main scar, plus others, trumps any sleeve tattoo also looks better as it fades, not as gross to look at!
    When I'm sixty they should look really hot. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Irish people seem particularly heavily tattooed in comparison with on the continent. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the majority over 18 and under 30...

Try Toronto - literally everyone is tattooed. London is also a tattooed metropolis. In fact, I'd recommend anyone considering a tattoo to also look at their options over there. The talent pool is far more diverse than here in Ireland (and less cliquey). Honestly, there are a few decent artists here but I hate the whole attitude that's prevalent in that 'scene'. Walk into a tattoo shop in London and everyone is so much more friendly and down to earth.

I have a few tattoos. One was done here in Ireland and the guy didn't do the best job, nor was he too pleased when I asked him about fixing it up. After that, because he was so 'well known', no-one in Ireland wanted to work on it. So, I went to London, and for once - the artists could see and acknowledge what was wrong with the tattoo. Artists who didn't know him.

And I got sorted with the best artist ever over there in the process :) So I'll have even more to come :)

A fair few of my friends and family have tattoos. It's not something I'd never notice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rorokenny

I'm 34, got my first tattoo on my back aged 29, and a full sleeve done at 31. Went through my 20's thinking will I/won't I? What will people think? Then I realized I wanted them for me, not for other people. I love the work I have done. If I meet somebody who looks down on me for having tattoos.... that's fine! I don't plan on looking down on people without a Phd in two years time when I finish mine!!!! It's personal choice.

Regarding when I'm older and my skin wrinkles and my tattoos don't look as good as they do now? Least of my worries. Once I still have the ability to wipe my own arse I'll be happy in myself :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

They are attractive on ladies but they will probably look bad when the ladies get older.

The men who plaster their arms with them look terrible. I would like to get a few tribal heritage tattoos of ulster folklore and a few quotes in gaelic but only small ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

They are attractive on ladies but they will probably look bad when the ladies get older.

The men who plaster their arms with them look terrible. I would like to get a few tribal heritage tattoos of ulster folklore and a few quotes in gaelic but only small ones.

I beg to differ! I've no massive preference for tattoos on a guy, but it's definitely a major bonus :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

I don't have any because it looks sore to get done, but I do like them on the ladies, proper sleeves and ****- shexy

butt I don't like the tramp stamp as a stand alone piece, lower back tattoos are like pajamas at the local spar, off putting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why do black people get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Yeah, they're common, and they're all trash. Same with piercings. Massive turn off, yet everybody has them.

The only tattoos I like are some of the committed ones- like a star around your a**hole, petals around your p*ssy, dragon scales on your c*ck, that kind of thing. They're interesting to look at, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

You could count on two fingers the number of tattooed art lovers in this country. Generic fashion for generic people.

PhD...... Best of luck regretting that.

Advertisement