Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being underpaid?

Options
  • 04-02-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am doing some part time work in a skilled job that I have a degree for. I initially took the job because I am still in college doing a masters and did not want to keep working in a shop. I am being paid €9.80 an hour. I do not want to keep working in this industry and my employer knows this (I am doing a masters that is kind of unrelated). I just feel like €9.80 an hour is not good as I spent 4 years getting a degree in the area. I love the work and I think I am good at it. But, I am thinking that my employer see's me as just a student that will leave and not a proper employee??

Basically, would it be rude to ask for a raise? If not, how would I go about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can always ask but as a part timer who is likely to leave because they don't like the work is not exactly priority material for a salary increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I am doing some part time work in a skilled job that I have a degree for. I initially took the job because I am still in college doing a masters and did not want to keep working in a shop. I am being paid €9.80 an hour. I do not want to keep working in this industry and my employer knows this (I am doing a masters that is kind of unrelated). I just feel like €9.80 an hour is not good as I spent 4 years getting a degree in the area. I love the work and I think I am good at it. But, I am thinking that my employer see's me as just a student that will leave and not a proper employee??

Basically, would it be rude to ask for a raise? If not, how would I go about this?
    How about experience??
    For a degree with no experience it's about right for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Having a masters in a relevant field to a job attracts no additional money if a masters is not required to do the job.

You can ask, but I would not hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't know if it is worth rocking the boat for, you will need the reference I'm assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nody wrote: »
    You can always ask but as a part timer who is likely to leave because they don't like the work is not exactly priority material for a salary increase.

As I already said, I do like the work. But yeah, I will definitely be leaving - but not for at least another 2 years.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't know if it is worth rocking the boat for, you will need the reference I'm assuming?

I won't be working in this line of work again and will have other more relevant references.

Having a masters in a relevant field to a job attracts no additional money if a masters is not required to do the job.

You can ask, but I would not hold my breath.

I need a masters to do the job I want.
    _Brian wrote: »
    How about experience??
    For a degree with no experience it's about right for starters.

I had done a 6 month internship prior to starting and have been working here for 8 months now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement