Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to install Samsung SSD

Options
  • 04-02-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm to install an SSD I just bought, but I can't have the SSD and my disc drive connected at the same time, I never use the disc drive anyway, so not too bothered. Except that there's an installation disc. Anyway, I looked for the installation software online, but only found what I think is it, which is Samsung Magician. So I installed it, and it detects the SSD, says drive condition is good and firmware is the latest, but the SSD still isn't showing up on my PC to use.

Does anyone know if Samsung Magician is what I needed to install? Or is there something else I need to download/install or just do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If needed you could rip the contents of the DVD to ISO and mount it using Virtual CloneDrive or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

How did you connect the ssd and run magician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It sounds like you have it just installed but still running Windows off your old hard drive

You need to re-install Windows (or clone the HDD to the SSD). There is no installation required of an SSD from a software perspective, it's plug and play. Samsung Magician is software, nothing to do with the actual operation of the drive.

To actually get the SSD to appear in Windows right now, just right click on 'This PC', click on 'Manage', then 'Storage', your SSD should be there and just assign a new volume to it and it will appear as a usable drive.

But there's no point having an SSD as a secondary drive, far easier just to re-install Windows on the SSD outright and use your original hard drive for storage.

Advertisement