Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion

Options
  • 04-02-2017 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before had a look can't see a thread. My immersion is suddently causing the trip switch to go. Does anyone know why this might be?

Incidentally the ESB was off in the whole apartment block this morning and I saw an ESB van out doing something down the road, it's now back on but not sure if that might have anything to do with it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is it causing the circuit breaker to trip or is it causing the RCD (Residual Current Device) to trip?

If it is the latter, then next question would be do you have hard water? If so, you could have corrosion in the jacket of the immersion element that has allowed water to enter and touch the live heating element, which is tripping the RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JennyZ

It's causing the 'ELCB' switch to trip, is that the circuit breaker?
    Many thanks

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I had a similar experience a few months ago, the element was damaged and there was a minor leak allowing water touch the wires (almost exactly what the poster above said). Mine was only tripping the circuit breaker on "bath" though.

New element was needed, can't remember how much but it wasn't ridiculous money wise. The important thing would be to not use it until the problem is resolved.

I am not certain. Mine has RCCB on it (alternative for RCD) and a Test button and is larger than the ordinary circuit breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Elcb is an rcd

• Advertisement

I have hard water. This happened to me. I replaced the immersion element with one of the same type - one with a brass jacket - and it corroded through causing the same problem, within 12 months.

I found out you can get more expensive elements that have a corrosion resistant jacket of stainless steel. I bought and fitted one of those and have had no problems since. Think it was 2-3 times the price of a standard element.

Advertisement