Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL baskets gone

Options
  • 04-02-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Been to LIDL Thomas Street today (not sure if this applies to other LIDL stores as well).

I realised that all shopping baskets have been removed. Just big trolleys or small plastic carts are still there.

The big trolley is not an option as I want to be fast in and out with the preference to use the fast check out queue. The small plastic cart is too big to be carried comfortably. If I roll it (it rolls horribly since the wheels don't turn) I either have to drop items a meter deep into it and risk a mess or I bend each time which is bad for my back. I ended up carrying my shoppings in my hands with the results that I could not get milk and newspapers so I had to go to the SPAR shop as well.

It is so obvious that LIDL has decided that people don't shop enough with a normal basket but I take this as an insult. It's not customer friendly, during the short stay a lot of people asked where the normal baskets are.

Did anyone see if the other LIDL stores also have their baskets removed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My Lidl has never had anything other than roller baskets and trolleys; and hasn't got a fast checkout. I suspect there was a trial which may or may not get introduced elsewhere.

Just use the shopping bag you bring with you, or a box from the shopfloor.
    That's what I do when only grabbing a few things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All lidl's I've been to have the wheely baskets, never have a problem pulling them but ergonomics for unloading are a disgrace. I still see people picking up the boxes and using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Haithabu wrote: »
    It is so obvious that LIDL has decided that people don't shop enough with a normal basket but I take this as an insult. ...

Then simply don't shop there instead of whining on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I never bother with a basket. I just stuff everything into my shopping bag, put it from there onto the belt, than back into the shopping bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I never bother with a basket. I just stuff everything into my shopping bag, put it from there onto the belt, than back into the shopping bag.

I do too, wonder are they ok with it now after the changes? Originally most stores had neither basket nor plastic cart so that's how I always went around, hate using basket or cart, they slow you down at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why exactly is this a rip off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I hate those ones you pull; it is bad for my back to bend to empty them onto the trolley. I wish they would bring back the regular baskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Del2005 wrote: »
    All lidl's I've been to have the wheely baskets, never have a problem pulling them but ergonomics for unloading are a disgrace. I still see people picking up the boxes and using them.

And reducing the cost for the company to have to recycle these boxes.
    Customer can do it for free .
    Numpties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

BabySlam wrote: »
    I wish they would bring back the regular baskets.
    I wish they would go back to being a discounter.

• Advertisement

They've been there for months now. Quite nice to pull around but not so easy to unload.

However, in Ireland, its only a matter of time until somebody trips over one being pulled by somebody else and gets awarded zillions in the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The big plastic baskets on wheels are an ergonomic disaster, too big to hold unless very little in them, when at the check out you have to bend over or crouch down. God knows who though they were a good idea.

I just fill a shopping bag and empty out, it's never been an issue as far as the staff are concerned in my Lidl's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Bring your own basket, problem solved.

The big plastic baskets on wheels are an ergonomic disaster, too big to hold unless very little in them, when at the check out you have to bend over or crouch down. God knows who though they were a good idea.

I just fill a shopping bag and empty out, it's never been an issue as far as the staff are concerned in my Lidl's.

Lift the basket on wheels up, it's not that big! Tip your crap out onto the belt.
    Done.
    Oh & then the other side of the till, take all the extra crap packaging off everything & throw it in the bin there. Bring home loose stuff in your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I take this as an insult

Lidl deansgrange got rid of them a few months ago, I never felt so insulted in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Been to LIDL Thomas Street today (not sure if this applies to other LIDL stores as well).

I realised that all shopping baskets have been removed. Just big trolleys or small plastic carts are still there.

The big trolley is not an option as I want to be fast in and out with the preference to use the fast check out queue. The small plastic cart is too big to be carried comfortably. If I roll it (it rolls horribly since the wheels don't turn) I either have to drop items a meter deep into it and risk a mess or I bend each time which is bad for my back. I ended up carrying my shoppings in my hands with the results that I could not get milk and newspapers so I had to go to the SPAR shop as well.

It is so obvious that LIDL has decided that people don't shop enough with a normal basket but I take this as an insult. It's not customer friendly, during the short stay a lot of people asked where the normal baskets are.

jesus i hope u dont get some real life problems.some people like u just live nowadays to bitch and moan about everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

why is this in rip off section? Is there not a ranting and raving section?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Basket case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Complain to the head office. They are a nightmare to unpack. Bad for elderly people to use or anyone with back or hip problems. Bad for people trying to do a quick shop with young children in tow. I think they are bad all round. Customers complained that Dunne's didn't provide smaller trollies. Now they have smaller trollies. The more people complain, things just might change for the better. I don't use those heavy baskets anymore, I just carry a few things in my arms. That is a supermarket manager's nightmare as their job is to get us to buy as much as possible. But its not actually a rip-off though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Basket case...

Off their trolly..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did Lidl ever even have "normal" ones? Seem to only ever remember the trolley type

Advertisement