Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember Cork's temporary bridge?

Options
  • 04-02-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭

One for the older folks.

Just remembered this last night. There was a temporary bridge in the 80s that moved around but I can't find any info on it.

As I remember it, I think it was were Christy Ring bridge is now and when CR Bridge was built, it moved to link Sullivan's Quay with the Grand Parade while Parliament Bridge was being refurbished. I also remember it being in the middle of The Grand Parade for a while.

Am I out of my mind or does anyone remember this bridge.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

You're not imagining it. It was definitely moved around but no idea what happened to it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

overmantle wrote: »
    You're not imagining it. It was definitely moved around but no idea what happened to it in the end.

Am I right in where it was positioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Spot on in your locations.I think it was first used when both Brian Boru and Clontarf bridges were being refurbished back in the late 70s / early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep..remember it also when it was where the Nano Nagle pedestrian bridge is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep..remember it also when it was where the Nano Nagle pedestrian bridge is now.

That was the linking Sullivan's Quay to the Grand Parade I mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I remember it being described as a Bailey bridge and was positioned between lavitts quay and popes quay for a few years when christy ring bridge was being built.
    Was also used when Parliament bridge was closed for renovations. I think it was left on a barge in the river for some time after it was removed. This could be 10-15 years ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

thejuggler wrote: »
    I remember it being described as a Bailey bridge and was positioned between lavitts quay and popes quay for a few years when christy ring bridge was being built.
    Was also used when Parliament bridge was closed for renovations. I think it was left on a barge in the river for some time after it was removed. This could be 10-15 years ago though.
    I seem to recall this bailey bridge linking the North Mall and the quay opposite (not sure of name) around where Grattan Street junction is. Am I just imagining this one? Would have been sometime in mid eighties, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

I seem to recall this bailey bridge linking the North Mall and the quay opposite (not sure of name) around where Grattan Street junction is. Am I just imagining this one? Would have been sometime in mid eighties, I guess.

A blue bridge? Single lane? This is a different one. It was installed in 1961 to accommodate the reconstruction of the North Gate Bridge. A "temporary" structure not removed until 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Any photos of any of these structures in place? A quick google search proved fruitless.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I clearly remember it when it was between Sullivan's Quay and Grand Parade. I remember that it was moved around but don't recall it when it was in the other locations mentioned.

Interesting background , a Dail debate on Parliament Bridge from 1991: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1991041800025?opendocument

Also, there used to be a similar structure within the grounds of the Bon Secours hospital linking the hospital to an exit on Western Road. This might possibly have been removed very recently as construction works have started on an extension to the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Correct
    It has been removed
    It is being replaced currently for construction traffic when the new build begins
    There is another temporary bridge in place beside it while the demolition was done and new bridge is being installed

Advertisement