Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank canvas

Options
  • 04-02-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi...I have recently moved my fruit bushes and trees to a new plot and now I am left with a rectangular plot of size 20 feet by 20 feet which is quite close to the kitchen. Anyway, what I am planning is putting in a circular patch of crazy paving for a table and chairs and surrounding it partly with a herb garden but I also wish to plant up other shrubs.

The house is an old cottage and that's what I am trying to retain...keeping the quaint, quirky old time feel to it....

Any suggestions of shrubs to plant would be most welcome...would love a little height included as do not want a flat planted area....colour and scent very important....I am just clueless really to know what to put in...

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions...apppreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Some herbs will grow into good sized shrubs. Bay leaf can be particularly strong growing and there is one shrub I planted a few years back that is about 10foot tall. I have also seen examples of bay leaf grown into small trees. Rosemary can also get fairly tall but its better to keep it trimmed a bit as I have found some big branches can die back if it is allowed get too scraggly. Lavender could also be nice in the situation you describe and there are a number of different varieties to choose from including some that have longer stems to make more of an impact when they are flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can I tentitivly suggest that if you want an old fashioned cottage garden feel, sticking a paving circle into the middle of a 20' square will be unlikely to achieve that aim? Have a paved area certainly, and herbs, maybe a small tree or two, but keep it less geometric, or at least put your (square-ish?) paved area to one side and have it all a bit more hap-hazard looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My rental is an old and very quaint and quirky one..

At the south facing front there is a fair sized garden area with a large rock amidships. It has been neglected for years and just now I am watching as shoots start to emerge.. not tackling it until all is up

The old cottage garden flowers are good; I see aquilegia already and this year I will be growing lupins as I was given seed.

From the rock-hard cluster of fruit, there is a small flowering cherry. And yes re the herbs. I have a small rosemary and a lavender and a young tree lupin I raised from seed will e a feature.

Pot marigolds also for base colour and maybe purple kale; all those old ardens mixed flowers and food.

Advertisement