Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't drink as much as friend

• 04-02-2017 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Before I start this thread, I just want to point out that I am a drinker. I like drink, I love red wine & having a few drinks.
    But, I'm in my 40s, most of my friends are settled with kids etc. I have one friend the same age as me who is single. We live in different parts of the country, and if I'm honest, I always thought that people where she lives, drink A LOT! Obvs not all the time, but when they go out, they go out! All night, lots of drink etc etc
    I love my holidays, & this one girl loves to go away too, but she always brings lots of friends with her, from this town.
    I like them, I like them all, they are good craic, they don't need drink, they are good company & good craic out.
    BUT, I can't understand the constant need for drink? If we are away, even just for a few days, it's drink drink drink.
    2 days in an European city? Then at least one of them has to be a day long session, pub to pub, 'having the craic'
    Now I wouldn't mind a couple of drinks during the day, but once the craic is gone, then I have no interest in being out with them.
    Then I get the whole 'youre no craic ' etc etc etc.
    Just cos I don't want to drink for nothing.
    Like I said, I do drink, I like drink. I'm just finding it hard to find how to go home when everyone else is ' having the craic'
    I love travel & this is the only friend I have to travel with, but I'm feeling like missing out on the next holiday, even though I would love to go, because they just drink so much. And then I feel like a ' dry ****e' for not being the same

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You need to look into singles/group holidays. Because that sounds absolutely awful to be honest. I can't imagine going somewhere cool for the weekend and wasting one day in the pub. A few drinks, fine. But these people are clearly lacking imagination. You won't change them though. They might grow out if it but some people only do when their bodies start breaking down. Your buddy has obviously surrounded herself by people like her though. You need to find travel buddies with a few more interests. They sound painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You're just different and incompatible holiday companions.
    Just don't holiday together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TBH op I'd be similar to you. I'll have the odd drink but I can't get drunk if I'm not in familiar surroundings, it's weird I know. I recently went on a holiday with a bunch of women who like their partying, and all I did was say ""right lads, I'll see ye tomorrow" when I wanted to not be out partying.

It's fairly simple. Just do your own thing. They obviously want their holiday, and fair play to them, but just like you don't drag them to museums or sights or whatever, don't let them drag you to the pub. You're in your 40's, just go on holiday on your own or please yourself when you're away with other people.

Advertisement