Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom extractor fan & where to vent?

Options
  • 04-02-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Got mould in bathroom, ensuite and bedroom off the ensuite so need better ventilation. I'm thinking 2 extractor fans in bathroom & ensuite should help, not sure about bedroom though. But what's the best & least expensive way to vent this? Up through the attic and through a roof tile? Would that be a job for a roofer or could a good electrician also do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

inline fan in the attic and vent out the facia.no need to roofer,good electricians your man.the mould may be a lack of insulation over your bathroom/ensuite though

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

meercat wrote: »
    inline fan in the attic and vent out the facia.no need to roofer,good electricians your man.the mould may be a lack of insulation over your bathroom/ensuite though
    Is that an expensive job for an electrician?
    And how could I check about the possible lack of insulation?

R11 wrote: »
    Is that an expensive job for an electrician?
    And how could I check about the possible lack of insulation?

not a major job tbh.youd have to get up into the attic to see how much insulation is between the joists.your electrician could tell you this or take pics when hes doing the job

Ok thanks, how much roughly including labour would I be looking at? Even a ballpark figure..

Ok thanks, how much roughly including labour would I be looking at? Even a ballpark figure..

sorry,you should call a registered electrical contractor up for a quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Without doubt an in line fan and vent it to fascia never to tile vent. When the steam meets cold air it condenses and turns to water if its piped to a tile vent the water will follow the laws of gravity, with the fascia vent it will condense and drop down onto the footpath.

A guestimate, depends on quality of parts. If it's an awkward job it could go as high as €150 for labour alone but every self-employed spark will have a different value on their time.

Thanks. And how much would parts be? Where would I get them? Or could someone post a link to the parts needed? I need 2 fans at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Thanks. And how much would parts be? Where would I get them? Or could someone post a link to the parts needed? I need 2 fans at least.
    Your Registered Electrical Contractor will get the parts. You will absolutely NOT save money purchasing materials yourself, and will end up with an inferior job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

You will save money on materials. The electrician will be adding on to the materials. I.e his profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Also, be sure to install a timer fan ie. 1 which will stay on for a while after the light is switched off, great job especially if you have just had a shower. If you decide to buy the fans yourself check to see which fan extracts the most cbic metres/feet per minute maybe consider a 6" rather than a 4" it will make all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Imo I'd put the fan on a separate switch if possible. If you use the toilet at night that is. You can get a anti mould paint also no harm giving the ceiling a shot. I think it's Zinnzer make it.

You will save money on materials. The electrician will be adding on to the materials. I.e his profit.
    That completely ignores the fact that he will be able to purchase them at a vastly superior price in the first place, so even with a markup it will still be cheaper for better materials. Also, if you provide the materials yourself, you have absolutely no guarantee on them and will be charged all labour for replacing any parts.

I can get trade in Kehillers electrical and I'm not in the trade so that one is out the window. The local electricians uses Kellihers too so materials are the same.

I can get trade in Kehillers electrical and I'm not in the trade so that one is out the window. The local electricians uses Kellihers too so materials are the same.
    Trade prices are notoriously high! Electricians do not pay the advertised "trade" prices - they have discounts (often substantial).

So the person who walks in off the street pays retail price, me along with other contractors get trade price and now we have this new often substantial discounted prices. Leave it out.

You obviously know nothing of trade prices if that's what you believe.

You are the one that is disillusioned, retail price and trade price. Google the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Another Thread derailed in 5....4....3.
    You're some man for one man Jack.

You are the one that is disillusioned, retail price and trade price. Google the two.
    Trade prices are for the like of Spons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I bought a fan connected to the light in the ensuite. Vented out through the facia. Brother is a sparks advised me how to do it. It's not rocket science. Net cost 25 euro for the fan. My time couldn't put a price on it but I know it's cheaper than a Sparks.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Trade prices are for the like of Spons.

Good man you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭worded

There are silent fans available as well in some wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Also looking at extractor fan options. Right now I have a centrifugal one in ensuite and none in the main bathroom. Ensuite one is okay so far but I was thinking of putting an inline fan in the attic and running a tube from each bathroom into it. I would need a y shaped adaptor of some sort but it should work. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding cost, the manrose inline fan on Amazon has pretty good reviews across multiple websites.

Advertisement