Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Indian take away in Dublin 7

Options
  • 04-02-2017 11:27pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just off the Navan Road (city end) and up to now I've been ordering from Gills Tandoori which was recommended to me by a friend and I found to be excellent.

Sadly, the last time I phoned to order there was a prerecorded message indicating that they're closed for renovations.:(

So with this in mind, can anyone here recommend another good Indian take away that delivers in the Navan Road area. I'm not too fussy, as long as it does good dishes like Chicken Balti, Chichen Korma, Naan bread and Samosas.

Thanks!:)

Comments

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm just off the Navan Road (city end) and up to now I've been ordering from Gills Tandoori which was recommended to me by a friend and I found to be excellent.

Sadly, the last time I phoned to order there was a prerecorded message indicating that they're closed for renovations.:(

So with this in mind, can anyone here recommend another good Indian take away that delivers in the Navan Road area. I'm not too fussy, as long as it does good dishes like Chicken Balti, Chichen Korma, Naan bread and Samosas.

Namaste, king Street
    Honestly good food

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Really find gills very poor. Namaste is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Vagya Nepalese in Glasnevin.
    Not used Namaste since they got a closure order for 4 days.

The closure order was to upgrade a storage area. Nothing to do with food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Bombay Pantry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ItsJusMe

I will gladly second that statement.

There food is excellent and always "Piping Hot" when delivered..
    SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Bombay Pantry

Bland, undertasting and sometimes cold food, wouldn't bother..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Bombay Pantry

Used them a few times. OK food but meat portions mean and very overpriced for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Gills moved to 2 old cabra road beside the newsagents (Gills) open for business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Used them a few times. OK food but meat portions mean and very overpriced for what you get.

It's a total rip off. Style over substance. Check out Indian Curry House in Finglas Village, it's surprisingly good, like really good, and massive portions!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some relevant discussion on a recent thread here

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I ordered from Namaste just the once. Thought it was only ok and it certainly wasn't pipping hot.

I'll give them a go again soon though, but by all accounts, they're very hit and miss. (more hit than miss given the reviews tbf)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think I've probably had 1 sub-par meal from Namaste and I've probably ordered from there about 25 times at this stage. Can't beat the Veggie special - veggie main + rice + nan + poppadoms + sauces for €8.

The Aloo Chop on chickpeas is gross, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ItsJusMe wrote: »
    I will gladly second that statement.

There food is excellent and always "Piping Hot" when delivered..

Bland, undertasting and sometimes cold food, wouldn't bother..

I'm actually delighted to hear this. I thought it was just me who thought it was bland. I've a group of mates who rave about it and I just thought I was being fussy :D

Food gets stored....at least in my house !
    Whether it's in fridges, pots, pans or whatever.
    I'm not sure people know what storage relates to. The way food was stored was enough for me to report them.

The fsai inspector told me she was amazed at the amount of business they did considering the state of the place. She put it down to most of their business being online with people not going into the shop.

But anyway..Let's keep with the storage line..:)

Lol, ye obviously never ate actual Indian food in India, prepared by Indians in a 'kitchen'
    You wouldn't be too worried about namaste then!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

4 of us ordered from Namaste last night, all very happy with what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Spice n rice Dorset street.

Always good. I love going in to collect the order as you can see them cooking in through the shop window.

Good value too

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol, ye obviously never ate actual Indian food in India, prepared by Indians in a 'kitchen'
    You wouldn't be too worried about namaste then!

I'll be there later in the year and tend to trust my local friends on where's safe to eat ......but do keep going:D

Since the FSAI website doesn't actually give the reason the "alternative facts" are an interesting diversion.

Tatranska

Judging by your previous posts you seem to have an agenda with Namaste. You reported them to the EHO as you stated! Can you please tell us what the reason was as this would be in the public interest!

I can assure you the reason they were closed for the few days was to allow them to upgrade a storage area to meet the required standard.

The FSAI standards are one of the highest in Europe. For example if the UK were to implement the same standards 75% of the fast food industry would be issued with closure orders.

Yes the FSAI do not publish reasons or details unless there was a prosecution. Namaste were not prosecuted and adhered to the order to upgrade the storage area. The EHO who you reported them to found nothing wrong with the food what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Gills is awful

Bombay is expensive and portions are small but quality and taste is top notch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Namaste is the obvious choice. Their daily specials are fairly unbeatable value - you could feed two people with it. They are very very inconsistent though. To be honest I don't think they have any set recipe for at least some of their dishes, and what you end up with seems to depend entirely on who happens to be cooking it. That being said, when you get a good meal from there, it can be really good.

There's a spot on North King St. called Mirch Masala that looks like a total dump (which seems to be the norm for any of the great curry takeaway places). I haven't tried it yet, but I'd love to hear any opinions on it.

Madina on Mary St. is the absolute tits, although again the premises is a bit of a kip. I'm not sure if they deliver, but if you can go collect the food yourself it's worth the trip. If I was going to treat myself to a really nice curry, this is without doubt where I'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Food gets stored....at least in my house !
    Whether it's in fridges, pots, pans or whatever.
    I'm not sure people know what storage relates to. The way food was stored was enough for me to report them.

The fsai inspector told me she was amazed at the amount of business they did considering the state of the place. She put it down to most of their business being online with people not going into the shop.

But anyway..Let's keep with the storage line..:)

I seem to recall you being a little obsessed with this in a previous thread. Maybe time to get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So the FSAI are mentioning to strangers an outcome of an inspection? I might let namaste know next time I'm in as I'm sure they will have a record of the inspector on file

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RasTa wrote: »
    So the FSAI are mentioning to strangers an outcome of an inspection? I might let namaste know next time I'm in as I'm sure they will have a record of the inspector on file

EHO called me after an inspection I requested which led to a kitchen closure. Confirming the problems. I doubt it's illegal so what use do you think there is in informing the restaurant?.

There is a strange level of unwavering support here, including one poster getting quite aggressive claiming it want an FSAI shutdown until it was confirmed it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

L1011 wrote: »
    EHO called me after an inspection I requested which led to a kitchen closure. Confirming the problems. I doubt it's illegal so what use do you think there is in informing the restaurant?.

There is a strange level of unwavering support here, including one poster getting quite aggressive claiming it want an FSAI shutdown until it was confirmed it was.

Think it's because people like the place and the other person hasn't even ate from it.

FSAI and EHO are different no? The FSAI doesn't publish the reason for the closures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

We find Vagya reliable, I think it serves most of D7. As an aside, a Greek take away close to it is doing delivery too, no complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Indian Curry House Finglas stopped using Namiste when they feked up an order, meal for 2 with 2 beers €25.99 + delivery happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RasTa wrote: »

FSAI and EHO are different no? The FSAI doesn't publish the reason for the closures

I see no reason an FSAI officer couldn't let someone known what happened on a tip off either, though. Having had it happen with an EHO I find it very likely.

Detailed reasons are only published if there has been a successful prosecution.
    Temporary closure orders are more of a proactive/preventative measure.
    They are published when it's a risk and interest of the general public.
    Good example is fade St. Google it. The restaurant them selves went public with the reason. A plumbing issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

barrier86 wrote: »
    Spice n rice Dorset street.

Always good. I love going in to collect the order as you can see them cooking in through the shop window.

Good value too

This is a grea choice, quite spicey too.

Advertisement