Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler banging head

Options
  • 04-02-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My little boy is 16 months old and seems to have a problem with banging his head.

It all started around Christmas time when he was 15 months. He doesnt like being told 'no' or 'ah ah'. When he hears this he throws a tantrum and sprawls on the floor, banging his head repeatedly.

On Christmas day, he threw a tantrum and at full force, walloped his forehead off a wooden floor. He immediately got a massive bump and has now been left with a permanent indent on his forehead, it almost looks like a dimple. He knows it hurts when he does it as he cries from the pain.

He can be sitting watching the tv and tap his head over and over against the wall. Car seats, prams and high chair is the same thing.

He is in a creche, I asked the girls if he does this and they have never seen him doing such a thing. It seems its just a home thing.

Is this just a phase as I am worried he will do real damage!
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

My two year old used to bang his head against the floor when having a tantrum (would have been 12-18 months at the time). I just put a cushion under his head and left him at it.

He did manage to bang his head against a concrete path one day out shopping which wasn't pleasant. Out of the major tantrum phase now and no head banging so hopefully it's just a phase for you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He may see it as an additional form of attention seeking - one that gained him attention previously.

Advertisement