Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE article on EVs, WTF?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

slave1 wrote: »
    That sounds progressive but I think it would be more practical to not insist on a charge point but to insist on the cabling for future install, an unused charge point is a waste of money but it would not be that expensive to run a cable and have it buried/whatever for future hook up whilst in the middle of a build/refurb

With high demand I wouldn't be surprised to see 16A/32A type 2 chargepoints for €30-70. There's nothing in them that's inherently expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 wrote: »
    With high demand I wouldn't be surprised to see 16A/32A type 2 chargepoints for €30-70. There's nothing in them that's inherently expensive.

Economies of scale I suppose is the current issue.

I do know that a replacement control unit in a Rolec is €100+

When I received mine it was not working and that control unit was at fault(replaced under warranty).

I did a search for it and was amazed at the cost of replacing that one piece. Everything else in there was mainly fresh air!

However, thats a standard wall mount unit. The ones required for street parking and apartments etc are likely to be pedestal types which would be more expensive as they will require a base etc to be put in and they would need to be sturdier etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm looking at a pedestal at the moment, you also need to install ducting under the pavement to the curbside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A small horizontal drill, which is air driven, should be able to do a bore without a major dig up.
    Not sure who does them but can also be used to install water pipes to a house, under the road and garden.

Water John wrote: »
    A small horizontal drill, which is air driven, should be able to do a bore without a major dig up.
    Not sure who does them but can also be used to install water pipes to a house, under the road and garden.

Might be OK in a one off house when you know where the services are.. but in an estate or apartment setting you could hit anything.... water, ESB, gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just on that article, here is the reply I got.

[font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Thank you you very much for your e-mail. I've already amended my piece to include some required corrections and will be happy to reflect your experiences in another piece I'm doing on electric cars in the next few weeks.  [/font]

[font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For your information, the charges and fees referred to are proposed by the ESB"[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

pwurple wrote: »

[font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Thank you you very much for your e-mail. I've already amended my piece to include some required corrections and will be happy to reflect your experiences in another piece I'm doing on electric cars in the next few weeks.  [/font]

[font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For your information, the charges and fees referred to are proposed by the ESB"[/font]

Exactly, they're proposals, not facts.

He could've easily worded it something like....
    "The ESB currently have proposals under review by the regulator that could see a monthly fee of approximately €16.99 for access to the charging points, plus up to an additional €9 per use of a fast charger. But as it stands, these are just proposals, and all EVs currently benefit from free public charging as well as free parking while charging".

Soarer wrote: »
    free parking while charging

In cork... but not a lot of other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

cros13 wrote: »
    In cork... but not a lot of other places.

Nowhere else matters, boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Peoples Republic.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »

I had a followup a month or two ago asking if I'd be interested in giving real world feedback for another article and I said yes, but heard nothing since.

Anyone on here actually give input to another article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Motor journalism in Ireland is a farce anyway - they just want to keep their car advertisers happy. If its not in the manufacturers best interests for an article with the real facts of electric motoring then they sure as hell won't publish one. Too many salesmen pushing diesel Fiestas on granny going to mass and Super Valu to have that process interrupted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

KCross wrote: »
    I had a followup a month or two ago asking if I'd be interested in giving real world feedback for another article and I said yes, but heard nothing since.

Anyone on here actually give input to another article?

Yes, i gave Donal my story a few months ago but didn't hear back. He contacted me during the last week and it will be getting published soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

stesaurus wrote: »
    Yes, i gave Donal my story a few months ago but didn't hear back. He contacted me during the last week and it will be getting published soon.

Is this your story?

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/0509/873841-life-in-the-electric-lane-no-more-fuel-bills/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

K3v wrote: »

Really good article, although the claim of servicing every other year is incorrect isn't it?

Maybe in terms of "needs" but under warranty the car will need an annual service.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Really good article, although the claim of servicing every other year is incorrect isn't it?

Maybe in terms of "needs" but under warranty the car will need an annual service.

No BMW does condition-based servicing bi-annually on the i3. My first service on my 151 was this January at over 100,000km and my next is in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fair enough.

If I'm being super picky, he did say that servicing on EVs is every 2 years. That's not the case on the Leaf.

As I say though that being overly critical. There aren't too many articles on EVs floating around where something that minor is the biggest flaw you can find.

Well done Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

K3v wrote: »

Yup that's me! I hadn't realised that it was already online. It's pretty much exactly what I gave him.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Yup that's me! I hadn't realised that it was already online. It's pretty much exactly what I gave him.

Here's my issue. I read with interest your article and find it cost you €5600 per year to operate a petrol car, and the same amount to operate an electric one. You said you saved €5000, but you didn't, you still spend that money for another car.

All you have done is trade age of car for range of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Here's my issue. I read with interest your article and find it cost you ?5600 per year to operate a petrol car, and the same amount to operate an electric one. You said you saved ?5000, but you didn't, you still spend that money for another car.

You have to make repayments on any new car, even petrol ones! He hardly got his old car for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Here's my issue. I read with interest your article and find it cost you €5600 per year to operate a petrol car, and the same amount to operate an electric one. You said you saved €5000, but you didn't, you still spend that money for another car.

no , he said the running costs of the EV , saved him 5K over the equivalent of his petrol one

a valid comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Freelance journalist John Cradden (in this case writing a piece that was published in the SIndo) took the correct approach from the get go. As well as doing his own research, he approached the EV community and asked them for their real world experiences and input in relation to the realities (the good and the bad) of driving an EV in Ireland.

LINKY

That said, if the journo for RTE came back and had another go at it, at least he's due merit for doing that.

BoatMad wrote: »
    no , he said the running costs of the EV , saved him 5K over the equivalent of his petrol one

a valid comparison

He is still the same amount from pocket at the end of the year.

Maybe it's my English, but maybe this means a different thing for you

"In terms of total cost, I've saved over €5,000 this year by moving to an EV"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

And when the loan is paid, his old car will be worth almost zero, while the EV will still have decent residual value and if he keeps it longer than loan period (presumably 5 years) he will then likely be making his 5k+ saving.

You're looking at it wrong. He could have bought an older, used EV and made higher real savings in the now, but he wanted a new car, which would usually mean a loan AND high running costs. So in that sense, he is saving quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He gets a car......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

They could have worked better on getting the terminology right in that RTE article - there seems to be confusion over power (kW) versus energy (kWh), MPGe (miles per gallon gasoline equivalent) is a fuel economy measurement created by the US EPA and not electric energy consumption measured in kW/100km (e.g. the BMW i3 does a combined 118 MPGe), and also SCP is "standard" not "slow".

It also mentioned that more FCPs are available for the Leaf compared to the i3 but didn't explain why - there's something to be said for not filling an article like this with too much jargon, but I think that statement just ended up being confusing.

listermint wrote: »
    He gets a car......

He already has a car.

:D
    It has to be how I don't understand, maybe?

Petrol car Electric car
    €5600 total cost year €5600 total cost year

I can't understand where that saves €5000. His motoring cost is the sames this year that last year, is int it?

goz83 wrote: »
    And when the loan is paid, his old car will be worth almost zero, while the EV will still have decent residual value and if he keeps it longer than loan period (presumably 5 years) he will then likely be making his 5k+ saving.

You're looking at it wrong. He could have bought an older, used EV and made higher real savings in the now, but he wanted a new car, which would usually mean a loan AND high running costs. So in that sense, he is saving quite a bit.

Maybe goz83 has explained for me. In the years after he pays for it, maybe after five years he will save €5000, but not these years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

He already has a car.

:D
    It has to be how I don't understand, maybe?

Petrol car Electric car
    €5600 total cost year €5600 total cost year

I can't understand where that saves €5000. His motoring cost is the sames this year that last year, is int it?

He is saving 5000 a year because he that would be the fuel cost.
    The car repayment will always exist unless you can keep a car your whole life.

Advertisement