Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Device to measure heart-rate

• 05-02-2017 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hey

Is there any device that would be recommended for measuring heart-rate? I am looking at maybe doing some HIIT training and would like to ensure that I am pusing myself enough. Also I guess if the device had an option to time the different intervals I was to set, like say 30 secs, 1 minute etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hey

Is there any device that would be recommended for measuring heart-rate? I am looking at maybe doing some HIIT training and would like to ensure that I am pusing myself enough. Also I guess if the device had an option to time the different intervals I was to set, like say 30 secs, 1 minute etc

Thanks
    Fit bit or any chest strap monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any heart rate monitor would do this.
    Fitbit HR, Garmin, Polar etc.

My first question would be how exactly are you going to use your HR reading to ensure you are working hard enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Mellor wrote: »
    Any heart rate monitor would do this.
    Fitbit HR, Garmin, Polar etc.

My first question would be how exactly are you going to use your HR reading to ensure you are working hard enough?

I guess I would be hoping to hit around 80-90% of my maximum heart rate of around 184bpm.

I should have been more specific in my original post, any particular models that would people recommend? That they may have already. Ideally under €100?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I should have been more specific in my original post, any particular models that would people recommend? That they may have already. Ideally under €100?

I have a Polar m400 watch with HR strap. About 140. Strap is very good. Ideally, I'd like the same watch and strap but with the ability to customise your own runs in HR zones. You can follow a plan which is great and had you doing different runs in different zones. Would like option of setting my own as well. Would recommend that watch though as a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I guess I would be hoping to hit around 80-90% of my maximum heart rate of around 184bpm
    How do you know your MHR is 184?
    Are you 36 by any chance? If that's the reason then it's not really a useful calculation for this purposes. It's the average, but individuals vary a lot. If you run naturally higher or lower you could be training anywhere from 65-100%
    I have a Fitbit and a Polar HRM.

The polar is probably more accurate as its based on chest strap readings, but I prefer the Fitbit for convenience and the fact that it does a lot more extra stuff.

You can get more advanced ones from Garmin and such that include GPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm waiting on one of these to arrive the new whitings steel hr https://www.withings.com/eu/en/products/steel-hr
    I've a Fitbit charge 2 at the moment it's very good for seeing your heart rate, just flick your wrist and it's there pumping away.
    Going for the steel HR as the battery lasts 28 days, it's waterproof and it looks like a watch.
    I've tried the Samsung's and Apple Watch but find them to smart and bulky.
    The charge 2 is a brilliant device, its smart enough, you can see who's calling, gives your little reminders to keep you active, the app is fantastic, it's a very easy smart watch to live with. The looks have grown on me it's comfortable and bit future looking.

I won't have the steel hr for about a week as there hard to get but mines on the way but the reviews are great.

Advertisement