Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Atheism in compatible with a belief in the Afterlife?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pat, the only reason you haven't been tossed off here today is because you've to reply to the silly challenge you mistakenly issued yesterday.

Any more cod-acting and you'll be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I wasn't talking to you

Technically yes you were. This is a public discussion on a public forum. When you reply to a post here you are, like it or not, talking simultaneously to EVERYONE here.

For those more interested in a one-to-one communication you will find the forum also offers a fully functional Private Messaging system for which no psychic abilities are required to discover.
    but it's interesting to see that you're still engaged in a game of one-upmanship.

It is interesting to see you're still engaged in seeing what is not there.
    Or whatever intellectual jargon you used to deflect.

Again I am going to have to leave it to the reader-base to decide who is deflecting on this thread but given that I have DIRECTLY replied to every point you have made pretty much, and you have replied to not a shred of the substance of any of those posts....... I can not imagine you will fare any better in that evaluation either.
    I'd like you to stop trolling me please or I will report your posts.

By all means do. I have no history of being infracted on this forum in the YEARS I have been on it. So I am sure if there is anything about my posts the moderators wish to see changed they will inform me on the thread and I will more than gladly comply in a way you have demonstrably refused to for some time.

But if instead you wish to return to the subject of this thread then I am here for you. You will find you have not yet replied to the majority of the substance of this post and this post.

Or you could find a concise adumbration of my position in this post here which you might move to reply to as well / instead. All of them are on topic and easily processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

King Mob wrote: »
    Flex your ego?

Have some patience, I'll do it when I'm ready thank you.
    So you are admitting that you cannot do it then?

Sorry, you're confusing "admitting that I can't do it" with "I'll do it when I'm ready"

Please stop trolling me or I'll report you.

robindch wrote: »
    Pat, the only reason you haven't been tossed off here today is because you've to reply to the silly challenge you mistakenly issued yesterday.

Any more cod-acting and you'll be banned.

Why was it a mistake?

In relation to the cod-acting, can you give me an example and explain to me why it is considered cod-acting.

Thank you.

Any other questions?

How long before you post "Ha ha - you guys are so easy to wind up!!" ?

Not sure why I'd post that, but thanks for the troll attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sorry, you're confusing "admitting that I can't do it" with "I'll do it when I'm ready"

Well here, they mean the same thing.

If you are not admitting you can't do then please either provide an answer or otherwise give a firm time by which you will be able to do it.

If you are unwilling to do either of these things, then you are admitting your failure.

If you are concerned about us "trolling you" (translation: not believing you) then the best cure for this is to shut us up and put your money where your mouth is.

So...?

(Also, trying to get yourself banned to avoid this is also an admission of failure...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Not sure why I'd post that,

You would post that if you were of the common but mistaken opinion that there is a meaningful and amusing distinction between pretending to be an idiot on the internet and actually being an idiot.

I wasn't talking to you

Technically yes you were. This is a public discussion on a public forum. When you reply to a post here you are, like it or not, talking simultaneously to EVERYONE here.

My question was not directed at you though, so stop being a [/quote]

Not sure why I'd post that,

You would post that if you were of the common but mistaken opinion that there is a meaningful and amusing distinction between pretending to be an idiot on the internet and actually being an idiot.

Ok, I'll take your word for it.

Are you finished trolling me?

Well here, they mean the same thing.

I disagree. Stop trolling me thanks.

• Advertisement

Then you are again admitting you can't do it...

Then you are again admitting you can't do it...

Yawn.

In relation to the cod-acting, can you give me an example and explain to me why it is considered cod-acting.
    Pat's taking three days' holiday to relax and recover.

Let's hope that, like Jesus Christ Almighty, he can rise again on the third day, a better and more sober man.

Yawn.
    Indeed. But again the best way to stop us "trolling" you is to give the answer you said you could.
    You could have saved a lot of yawning if you didn't lie the first time round or present a solid deadline.

But again, it looks exactly like you can't do it, and you're trying to get yourself banned to avoid admitting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Assuming nothing is created or destroyed but is continuously recycled, I can see reincarnation as definitely possible on a timescale which no human or computer can begin to fathom. Someone blown up in an explosion could very well find the exact same molecules and even the identical energy quanta in the exact same location, all forming who they were before. Its' such an absurd timescale with numbers so absurdly larger than the number of things which exist that its the sort of thing which would make you laugh like a madman while trying to comprehend or even put a name on. The actual numbers involved would be far too unbelievably large to fit into the probable universe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Assuming nothing is created or destroyed but is continuously recycled

Dangerous assumption in that it demands a steady state universe. If you go with the big bang theory and a continuously expanding universe the repetition seems unlikely, so you'd need subscribe for a theory encompassing an infinite number of multiverses. Incidentally, if you were to accept an infinite steady state universe, you wouldn't have to wait for reincarnation as there you would already exists somewhere else. Lots of you actually ;)

smacl wrote: »
    Dangerous assumption in that it demands a steady state universe. If you go with the big bang theory and a continuously expanding universe the repetition seems unlikely, so you'd need subscribe for a theory encompassing an infinite number of multiverses. Incidentally, if you were to accept an infinite steady state universe, you wouldn't have to wait for reincarnation as there you would already exists somewhere else. Lots of you actually ;)

A multiverse exact copy of me wouldnt be me but it would be a natural phenomenon which had the same ''experience'' of existing as me. We would probably be connected on an intuitive level if we met. However when I spoke of reincarnation I was referring to the identical atoms and identical building blocks of those atoms and even to identical energy quanta. The untrackable things in this universe which go their own way until they reassemble again due to immense probability. Even a non steady state universe holds all possible potentials due to infinite timescales.

Even a non steady state universe holds all possible potentials due to infinite timescales.

Not in an expanding universe, unless you assume its going to contract again at some point and big bangs are a regular occurrence.

My question was not directed at you though, so stop being a

You appear to have left your sentence half finished, if you want to finish your post at any time I can then reply to it. But suffice to repeat: On a public GROUP discussion it is irrelevant where you think you are directing a question. Anyone can, and often do, reply.

But I am happy to keep on topic. ANY display of the ability of the brain to leave the confines of it's space and (without the aid of technology) obtain information from the brain of another human being....... would while not offer DIRECT evidence of an after life, be very suggestive of the potential for one.

So seemingly now you have a three day ban, so your time constraints are hopefully alleviated. Perhaps after the three days you can come back from your meditations and display this very interesting alleged ability you have. I have PERSONAL contacts to people like James Randi, who did some writing for me on the formation of Atheist Ireland which we used in our opening Blurb........ so if you can demonstrate any capabilities in this regard I can put you DIRECTLY in touch with the man himself......... thus bypassing this impression you have of being ignored by them.

And all you have to do is reach into our minds and pick out the words we chose. I think three users, myself included, chose words? Get ONE of them right and I will facilitate such contacts on your behalf. Get TWO of them right and I will help fund your trip to meet such people when you fly to demonstrate them to Randi etc. Get ALL THREE right and I will go with you myself.

smacl wrote: »
    Not in an expanding universe, unless you assume its going to contract again at some point and big bangs are a regular occurrence.

You only choose one parameter. That its expanding. It could be colliding with another universe and conservation of momentum on a universal scale could cause both universes to change direction. There could be another universe expanding behind it which will cause backflow as it overtakes in a complex plane . Theres lots of variables in the game when you dont know exactly what the rules of the game are. Unfortunately even the fact we exist at all to think about is is completely absurd :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok folks, PdA is taking a break so can we take the opportunity to stop responding and get things back on track.

looksee wrote: »
    Ok folks, PdA is taking a break so can we take the opportunity to stop responding and get things back on track.

Ah here! 26 pages into the thread, 2 bottles of stout into my evening after being trounced by youngest on the PS4 and a universe full of dark matter between the gaps. A bit of thread drift may just happen. Still keen to find out if PdA says Ommm for three days running will he come up with some insight into the less than obvious word meself and robindch may have picked out. Awfully unforgiving place is the A&A for a dreamer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pat, the only reason you haven't been tossed off here today

Didn't realise mod duties went quite that far :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Didn't realise mod duties went quite that far :eek:
    We aim to please.

Anyway I thought of the rudest word I could imagine, I suspect the rest of yiz dirty feckers did too :)

Life ain't always empty.

So, anyway, I've chosen a word. Adding salt of "12345", the SHA-1 hash of this word is CC43076D3B2047FB436DBEF9206D2F27FE468D5A.

I await a tomorrow's guess from Pat with some interest and I'm going to buy myself a pint tomorrow evening if this turns out, as expected, to be a spoof. I'll buy Pat two pints if s/he guesses the word correctly.
    For anybody still sitting on the edge of their seat, the word was:

penitenziagite

Beer's on me this evening.
    Anyway I thought of the rudest word I could imagine, I suspect the rest of yiz dirty feckers did too :)
    Hotblack?

C**tflaps!

(well you did ask :p )

Life ain't always empty.

Comically two people PMed me and guessed my word even though our resident psychic did not / could not :) Seems the two clues I left in my post about it where more blatant than I first thought.

No guesses on mine. blacksploitation fwiw, longest word from the first page opened on the dictionary double CRCed. Not particularly complex, but awkward to crack via brute force without knowing how the data was encoded.

• Advertisement

Well since the almighty has done a runner (something it seems we predicted with more accuracy than he predicted any of our words)........... and since now 2 MORE people have PMed guessing correctly the word that he failed to get.......... the word was "laconic".

Both clues that this was the word I picked, since I was too lazy to go about a hashing algorithm like your tech heads :) were here........

"I will not say much about that word, like smacl did above, but I assure you that the word I picked I will be able to offer SOME evidence that I did not change after your guess. Lest anyone consider one not intentionally contributing."

Advertisement