Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My mortgage sold on. I signed nothing??

• 05-02-2017 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Hello all,

I had a mortgage with Irish nationwide and it was moved IBRC which moved it to Pepper and now sold on to BOI.

So my question is why do I not have to sign or agree to any of this? Is a mortgage not a contract with the lender & me? If there is a change in this contract should I not have to agree and sign a new contract or mortgage document?

I am not in a position to change lenders as I don't fit the standard borrower profile to change. (Long story)

Any one have any idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The terms of your mortgage haven't changed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

They have. They are with a totally different company.

If I had a car on hire purchase and had to get a service with that company. If they sold up and now I have to deal with the new company with different employees and build there is a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's quite possible that your original contract specifies that they can sell on the mortgage.

Irish Nationwide no longer exist. Who do you think you should pay the money to?

I should have to agree or at least sign a contract with the new leader. Contract law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it is a standard term in a mortgage that the right to assign it exists on the part of the lender. Not every mortgage had these, but far more have it than don't.

I will check with my solicitor that detail. Now I am getting places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Like Victor said, it is probably a clause in your mortgage agreement that the debt can be sold on.

This could actually be a good thing for you.

We are massively in negative equity and sought some financial advice from one of these companies offering advice to folks in our position.

They explained that if your mortgage gets sold on to a new company, the company who you had your mortgage with considered your debt to be risky. So they cashed out by selling your debt to a new company for less than what you owe. They are happy to clear what they considered a risky debt for an instant return, and allegedly they can claim some sort of tax break in the loss.

The new company are happy because they have bought the debt for less than what it is worth.

We were advised that we could take advantage of this by selling our house. We would then negotiate with the new company to pay off a % of the balance. Because they bought the debt for less than its value, as long as they get their initial outlay back plus a bit of profit they too will be happy to cash in a risky debt.

Of course this relies on your access to the cash to pay the negotiated amount with the new company. And of course the financial advisor was going to charge us for the negotiations with the new company.

We don't have access to the money to do it, but it is an option for those who do.

So my example

I have 90k to pay and I could ring BOI & give offer them €50k? They may take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did you actually read the initial mortgage documentation? (most of us don't).

If you did, can you confirm 100% that there is no clause about the debt being sold on?

I'm guessing there probably is.

• Advertisement

It's was 13 years ago. I read it with younger eyes and with 110% mortgage times where different then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I don't think they'll take an almost 50 per cent cut.

It wouldn't make sense to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

gar32 wrote: »
    They have. They are with a totally different company.

No they haven't - i suggest you read the terms and conditions before guessing / surmising.

Its standard in almost every mortgage particularly building societies as that was always one of their funding models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

So my example

I have 90k to pay and I could ring BOI & give offer them €50k? They may take it?

Doubtful

Pepper would have bought a portfolio of loans. Some good and some bad. They want to make a profit.

I would guess BOI bought your mortgage and a raft of others because they were performing and not a bad loan. Most banks disposed of loan books due to balance sheet pressures. Now that they don't have as many loans as they did and economy is changing, they are buying back loan portfolios as they are seen as a good investment hence BOI bought a portfolio from Pepper

BOI would want to keep you loan and repayments as it's a good debt. So I would highly doubt they would negotiate that much

And yes most if not all mortgages have a clause that it can be transferred

If you are paying every month with no missed payments, then there is no way they will give you a lower settlement figure.

Does not seem fair that a bad payer gets a discount & someone who does doesn't.

That's life. Any way for those who have not read it. Read Blank of Ireland (Google it)

Good luck and thanks for the input :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's the very very small print....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RossieMan wrote: »
    I don't think they'll take an almost 50 per cent cut.

It wouldn't make sense to do so.

You must have missed this.

http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/vulture-funds-offer-to-slash-your-mortgage-by-40pc-35419888.html

I have seen it but BOI are worse then a vulture fund :) See "Bail out Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

ted1 wrote:
    You must have missed this.

That article is a bit sensational.

It is based on non performing loans. The vulture fund might have bought them for much less than 60c in the euro and would be happy to lock in any kind of profit. They will win on some loans and lose on others. They probably have more scope to chase the debt as they won't care about damaging their reputation unlike the big banks.

The reality is that the people on the other side of these loans are very unlikely to be in a position to raise finance to buy back their loan even at a 40 percent discount.

It is all a bit of a non-story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

But it's now with BOI not a vulture fund

Gar, yes it is mad that good payers cannot really negotiate. I do know people who could not pay and were able to significantly negotiate

I'm with a different bank who refuses to pass on any interest cut. We pay and are up to date. Everytime we get a care call we ask for rate to be reduced and on a handful of occasions the person has said that they will not even review as we are paying.

So go figure... If we defaulted we would have a better chance of a review but we are not even on their radar as we are up to date

Classic case of nice guy finish last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Welcome to the world of banking, maybe the glass steagall act was a good idea!

I suppose its all about the likelihood of them getting the money out of someone.

If you never miss a payment and it looks like you will pay every month until the end of the term, its not in their interest to settle early for a reduced amount.

Whereas if you struggle to pay, miss payments occasionally etc, then they might think that taking €50k now instead of you defaulting totally with them only getting €20k is a better deal long term.

In the great scheme of things, you don't really want to be a defaulter, so sometimes being a nice guy and paying your debt is a more stable way to live your life. A defaulter will struggle financially to function in the future.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I suppose its all about the likelihood of them getting the money out of someone.

If you never miss a payment and it looks like you will pay every month until the end of the term, its not in their interest to settle early for a reduced amount.

Whereas if you struggle to pay, miss payments occasionally etc, then they might think that taking €50k now instead of you defaulting totally with them only getting €20k is a better deal long term.

In the great scheme of things, you don't really want to be a defaulter, so sometimes being a nice guy and paying your debt is a more stable way to live your life. A defaulter will struggle financially to function in the future.

I am sure the a few chancers in Ireland claiming we can not pay and getting €50k deal and having no issue with money as it is resting in hard to find account somewhere.

So any one know who to call in BOI to make an offer? No harm and asking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Hello all,

I had a mortgage with Irish nationwide and it was moved IBRC which moved it to Pepper and now sold on to BOI.

So my question is why do I not have to sign or agree to any of this? Is a mortgage not a contract with the lender & me? If there is a change in this contract should I not have to agree and sign a new contract or mortgage document?

I am not in a position to change lenders as I don't fit the standard borrower profile to change. (Long story)

Any one have any idea?

Thanks

My Mortgage went the same way as yours, except for Pepper. Had the mortgage with Irish Nationwide, then Nama, then IBRC, then it was sold to BoI. IBRC informed me about every step of the sale and gave an option to object. If you look closely at the correspondence from IRBC you will find it. They equally wrote that if you don't send an objection they see it as agreement. They sent lots of paperwork by the way, you just have to read it.

But they (IBRC) made it clear that the conditions for mortgage payments wouldn't change, to whomever the mortgage is being sold. And it didn't. I payed as before and I really didn't care if it was to IN, IRBC or BoI or to my cat. It was the same amount according to the original mortgage contract.

I wouldn't worry, for you it's (mortgage) business as usual.

My mortgage is payed off since a few months :) and all is good. BoI complied to the original contract, there was no change whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

So any one know who to call in BOI to make an offer? No harm and asking :)

You say you have 90k left to pay so I'm guessing you're not in negative equity, the key to getting a deal is if you are in negative equity and can't keep up with the mortgage payment. Waste of a call otherwise imo.

If I say I am looking to change lenders unless you give me a discount to pay off. Say I am getting a better deal else where maybe they would think about it :)

• Advertisement

If I say I am looking to change lenders unless you give me a discount to pay off. Say I am getting a better deal else where maybe they would think about it :)

Won't matter to them, because if you change lenders, they will have to get their €90k first paid to them by your new lender, so they get their money anyway.

Advertisement