Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry's Refuse

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Young Ferry has been quiet for a while but all that has changed now that he is hitting back at the opposition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

So the defence seems to be 'so what if I was illegally burying waste, there's another refuse company that doesn't have proper planning permission for their building'.

Is that it?

Technique wrote: »
    So the defence seems to be 'so what if I was illegally burying waste, there's another refuse company that doesn't have proper planning permission for their building'.

Is that it?
    Looks to be something along those lines alright and also claiming pollution of an adjacent river. The exact facts should emerge when the case progresses at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

muffler wrote: »
    Looks to be something along those lines alright and also claiming pollution of an adjacent river. The exact facts should emerge when the case progresses at a later date.
    I just feel sorry for Judge Meenan..... between Gemma and this fella his head must be melted, I'd say he's just dying for a normal boring case for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Looks like the chickens are finally coming home to roost

https://www.thejournal.ie/jim-ferry-donegal-high-court-5355842-Feb2021/

• Advertisement

Looks like the chickens are finally coming home to roost

https://www.thejournal.ie/jim-ferry-donegal-high-court-5355842-Feb2021/
    Some interesting comments made by the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

The way that the county council have (mis)managed the oversight of waste companies in the county is shocking; has anything ever been done about the dumping highlighted in the RTE expose a few years ago? AFIK Ferry is the only one they have ever brought to court, and then probably only because he was so blatantly breaking the rules.

The sooner the govt cop on and integrate a waste charge into the household tax the better it'll be for the environment, esp here in Donegal where you can hardly walk a couple of miles down a country road without coming across a bag of rubbish in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Firblog wrote: »

The sooner the govt cop on and integrate a waste charge into the household tax the better it'll be for the environment, esp here in Donegal where you can hardly walk a couple of miles down a country road without coming across a bag of rubbish in a ditch.

Waste charges encourage illegal dumping but there are a lot of bottles and cans dumped although you can dispose of them for free at bring banks.

echo beach wrote: »
    Waste charges encourage illegal dumping but there are a lot of bottles and cans dumped although you can dispose of them for free at bring banks.

The only time waste charges encourage illegal dumping is when you have an option about paying them. If every household paid for waste collection - collected via property tax - then why would you dump?

Mate of mine has house up in Belfast, £1K per year property tax, I went to help in do up his house one weekend, ripped out kitchen, bathroom, put all in the back of my van and drove to the waste centre on a Sunday, directed to the best bay for each type of waste, and unloaded all - no fuss, no charge because it had already been paid for by property tax. Here you'd be looking for skips from waste company, thinking about having to pay €100's to get rid, temptation to dump grows with the price it costs to dispose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jim's gone full trump-mode on Facebook:

7b63ce17c07f6f48600d2d0edb102895.png

85d0eef3f58d54e6bda3825871b132b3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a fair smack of Pee Flynn off those posts :D

All I can say is thankfully Im not on Facebook otherwise there would be some home truths levied at our Jim ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Landfill of 700k? Erm???

Suppliers 240k? Suppliers of what exactly?

Also, Ferrys had 11000 residential customers. At about 25 per month that's 3.3m euro. That's not counting the 500 commercial customers whose prices I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Jims latest adventures in court.

Mod: Link snipped as per forum charter.

Can you post an alternative link to the story?

Post edited by muffler on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Awww, persecuting the poor fella. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Conviction on indictment (circuit court) penalties under the Waste Management Act are "a fine not exceeding £10,000,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years, or to both such fine and such imprisonment"

41 Offences and the evidence is pretty incontravertable means auld Jimmy boy wil be sweating now.

Most they'll get is 5 - 10K fine each, we don't do jailing people for polluting the environment in Ireland.

5k fine for each of 41 offences is a lot of money though. If he acts the bollix like he has done he could easily see jailtime.

Out of interest, has there been a large waste polluter caught as red-handed as him previously and what happened to them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement