Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money transfers from UK

• 05-02-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hiya guys. An unusual problem here - my sis wants to send me a few bob from the UK. So she went to her bank and they asked her for my details which she gave them.Plus the Swift code and IB code. They couldn't seem to make this transaction work however. Is there a simpler way to do this? Technology seems to be making easy stuff harder sometimes! Is Western Union more reliable for example? Quite baffling ....and Brexit hasnt even happened yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Check out transferwise

I've been using them for the past year or so to do transactions in the opposite direction and they're very reliable, offering a better rate than you'd get at Western Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donal na gealla

Thanks pablo57. My sis is so fed up...thinking of sticking cash in an envelope:-) ..will try trsnsferwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Both of you get the Revolut app on your phones. Transfer through that commission free. Withdraw with the card that takes about a week to arrive in the post or send straight to you bank. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Used Currencyfair for years. Flat fee of 3 euros and better rates than any bank. Easey Peasy.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

TopTec wrote: »
    Used Currencyfair for years. Flat fee of 3 euros and better rates than any bank. Easey Peasy.

TT

Depending how large the amount is, Revolut has no fee and you get the exact exchange rate for that moment in time, you can see it fluctuating as you commit to clicking the button - it becomes a bit of a game trying to get those few extra pennies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Leaving aside, that revolut, transferwise, currencyfair, etc will surely save you money on exchange rate compared to regular bank transfer, it seems unbelievable that transfer doesn't work.
    If your sister is giving her bank correct swift/bic and your full IBAN, there's no reason for the transfer to be refused.

I know ...it does seem a bit mad. The sister said she may as well have been talking about Pluto. When she mentioned Ireland they seemed bewildered. But then she lives in Essex.I will mention the suggestions on here. Thanks a lot guys.

Quick update. My sis used Currency fair.Took 2days. Cool enough. Thanks everyone for your help!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

For future reference, if you set up a Revolut account, you'll receive a UK account number linked to that account which would allow your sister to lodge directly to your Revolut account at absolutely no cost.

And for all the other benefits of Revolut, it really is a complete no-brainer.

Advertisement