Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a lip balm please

Options
  • 05-02-2017 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have a recommendation for a lip balm.

My mam is driving me nuts looking for a particular lip balm. It's called flexitol lip balm and is Australian made. Sometimes a chemist in the city stocks it but they have been out for some time now.

I don't have the money to buy online from Australia because with my mam it won't be one or two lip balms, she'll want me to buy 4, 5, 6 of them. Then there's postage and packaging and custom taxes.

If I was to find an alternative here in Ireland, I think that would be great. My budget would be around 12, 13, 14 euro. I know that price seems expensive but still savings instead of ordering from oz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I find lanolips good. Got it recently in boots. About 15 iirc. Why can't your mother pay for her stuff herself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I find lanolips good. Got it recently in boots. About 15 iirc. Why can't your mother pay for her stuff herself?

She's not able to buy stuff online. Her internet usage is nil because she doesn't know how and in relation to payment - she doesn't have a bank account or card.

I will read up reviews online about the one you recommended and will buy it for myself in the hope to god she takes to it and stops requesting for me to stick in an online order to Australia. I really don't have the guts of 60 quid to spend on 5 or 6 lip balms from Australia. Although mam would pay me, I'd be out of pocket for a few weeks until a package comes in the mail, then she's pay me. It just doesn't make any financial sense. I do have family in Australia. The lad living in the city rises at 4am to go to work and he's not home again until 8pm. He does that 5 days a week with a half day on Saturday. So it's a hectic schedule and he would never be at his place to accept a package in the mail to forward onto us so it's not fair on him either. A lot of trouble for a fecking lip balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Would anyone have a recommendation for a lip balm.

My mam is driving me nuts looking for a particular lip balm. It's called flexitol lip balm and is Australian made. Sometimes a chemist in the city stocks it but they have been out for some time now.

I don't have the money to buy online from Australia because with my mam it won't be one or two lip balms, she'll want me to buy 4, 5, 6 of them. Then there's postage and packaging and custom taxes.

If I was to find an alternative here in Ireland, I think that would be great. My budget would be around 12, 13, 14 euro. I know that price seems expensive but still savings instead of ordering from oz.

Is there a particular reason she likes the Flexitol one? That might help with finding an alternative.

If she is looking for one that will soothe and repair chronic dry lips La Roche Posay Cicaplast lip balm is amazing, as is the Bioderma lipbam (both widely available in chemists).

If it's the cooling sensation the menthol provides in the Flexitol one, Blistex medi lip has it as an ingredient as does Carmex lip balm. Neither however are as moisturising as the first 2 I suggested.

If nothing else will do I would suggest you contact the UK and Ireland distributors and see if they can do anything for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Scraggs wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason she likes the Flexitol one? That might help with finding an alternative.

If she is looking for one that will soothe and repair chronic dry lips La Roche Posay Cicaplast lip balm is amazing, as is the Bioderma lipbam (both widely available in chemists).

If it's the cooling sensation the menthol provides in the Flexitol one, Blistex medi lip has it as an ingredient as does Carmex lip balm. Neither however are as moisturising as the first 2 I suggested.

If nothing else will do I would suggest you contact the UK and Ireland distributors and see if they can do anything for you.

Yeah, the lip balm is for dry and cracked lips. Just after checking with my mam and throwing out these recommendations and she tried the lot of them - the la Roche posay, the blistex, the carmex and she finds the flexitol the best. She's not familiar with the bioderma lip balm. To be honest, I'd be apprehensive trying it now considering she is so fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Yeah, the lip balm is for dry and cracked lips. Just after checking with my mam and throwing out these recommendations and she tried the lot of them - the la Roche posay, the blistex, the carmex and she finds the flexitol the best. She's not familiar with the bioderma lip balm. To be honest, I'd be apprehensive trying it now considering she is so fu4ssy.
    I'm surprised by this as I have actually tried the Flexitol one (I used to stock Flexitol products in my practice) and its actually something I would consider to aggrevate chapped lips. I know it has 2% urea in it but the petrolatum and menthol almost counteract the benefits imo.

I would get in contact with the UK Ireland distributor on their website and see if they could let you know a stockist or sell it to you.

Also just to add I have a feeling the Eucerin lip balm has urea in it but I have never tried it so can't vouch for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

Reve de Miel from Nuxe or Hydra Quench from Clarins are my 2 faves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I use the bioderma one too, I think its brilliant for the price €3.75.

http://www.boots.ie/bioderma-atoderm-sticks-4g-10202359

Can you not just tell her she's being too fussy? It sounds like she's just got a notion in her head and is being unreasonable as to alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Actually, just did some googling and while it seems to be out of stock in a lot of places, I did find this.

http://embellishlondon.com/shop/flexitol-heel-balm-medically-proven-treatment-for-dry-cracked-heels-112g/?add-to-cart=286

Ordering from the UK has to be better than Oz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Seems to be in stock here (never used the website)

http://embellishlondon.com/shop/flexitol-heel-balm-medically-proven-treatment-for-dry-cracked-heels-112g/

*edit* Snap @ Sarah

They have a contact number too if you select "about our shop"

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Just wanted to add another vote for the bioderma one - I have the WORST chapped lips and am so picky with my lip balms. The bioderma one is the only one I use. LRP did nothing for me, and the rest have all aggravated my lips. I swear I've tried them all! Definitely get your mum to try it at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I have the Bioderma one and it's okay but I definitely think the Nuxe Reve de miel is the ultimate intense lip balm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

GingerLily wrote: »
    I have the Bioderma one and it's okay but I definitely think the Nuxe Reve de miel is the ultimate intense lip balm!

Lol its funny how different people react It really is trial and error with lip balms if you have badly chapped lips. I found the nuxe did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've heard of Flexitol Heel Balm, but as the name suggests, it's for your cracked heels. Fantastic stuff, by the way; really works.
    But I never knew they did a lip balm.

Anyway, I'm a lip balm addict. I cannot stop using the stuff.
    I stopped using Vaseline as it just sits on your lips. Carmex has a funny taste and I don't like the Labellos and other stick ones cos they break.

I bought Lanolips about a year ago and I have to say, it's really good.
    It actually moisturises your lips AND stays on for hours, as opposed to the likes of Vaseline which slips off after a few minutes. Well it does for me.

You only need a little bit of Lanolips so a tube would last agggeeessss.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

I was looking for something else on amazon, uk Flexitol which might be what you are looking for, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

LinF wrote: »
    I was looking for something else on amazon, uk Flexitol which might be what you are looking for, hope it helps.

Look at the price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

fussyonion wrote: »
    LinF wrote: »

Look at the price!!
    I am so sorry - didn't notice, I am sure it must be a mistake no cream can be that expensive - I agree if it is that price it is def NOT WORTH IT! Have you tried plain vit E oil? I use it on backs of my hand, lips, neck & face after applying my Monsia night repair cream because it keeps my skin hydrated through the night and combats the drying effect of the central heating.
    This link says that it is available in Boots for £3.49
    http://lilmisstuttyfruitie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/flexitol-lip-balm-review.html

Advertisement