Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing 4 stroke and 2 stroke oil?

• 05-02-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

changed the oil and filter yesterday on my bike but when I had the thing refilled with oil I looked at the labels on the two one litre bottles and realised the shop I bought them from had given me one litre of 2 stroke oil and one litre of 4 stroke. I had put the full bottle of 4 stroke in and 500 mills of 2 stroke.

I'll need to top it up to fill up to the required level but my question is - can I leave the two stroke oil in and drive away or will it do damage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 irish snowblower

I wouldn't even start the bike in my opinion drop the oil out and bin it if you have not run it the filter should still be clean and not need to be replaced if you have run it I think you should change it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I wouldn't even start the bike in my opinion drop the oil out and bin it if you have not run it the filter should still be clean and not need to be replaced if you have run it I think you should change it as well

Yeah that was what I was thinking myself. I haven't run the bike yet - I primed the filter with the 4 stroke oil before I put it back on the bike so that should be OK.

Damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

sonic85 wrote: »
    changed the oil and filter yesterday on my bike but when I had the thing refilled with oil I looked at the labels on the two one litre bottles and realised the shop I bought them from had given me one litre of 2 stroke oil and one litre of 4 stroke. I had put the full bottle of 4 stroke in and 500 mills of 2 stroke.

I'll need to top it up to fill up to the required level but my question is - can I leave the two stroke oil in and drive away or will it do damage?

Drain all the oil back out of the bike.

Go back to the shop and get the correct oil.

Do it right or dont do it at all.

Yep I drained it again last night. Don't really have the money to be pi$$ing away on more oil but like you said I'd prefer to do it right

Plus don't really appreciate that smart ar$e remark there at the end man. Ive a touch of OCD and hate doing things if I can't do them right but I don't have endless disposable income. Hardly my fault the shop made an error.

Thanks anyway

Yep I drained it again last night. Don't really have the money to be pi$$ing away on more oil but like you said I'd prefer to do it right

Bring back both bottles of oil with the receipt to the shop.
    Tell them they gave you the wrong oil and you only noticed the bottle said 2 stroke half way through pouring it in.
    They should by all accounts give you the bottles of oil for free,if they are a half decent shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

two things
    1 bring back the oil the filter and get replaced
    2 ask for an extra dose of four stroke, drain the bike over night, the fill with the 4 stroke , don't start it
    leave it over night then drain again

two stroke is very the wrong thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In fairness half a litre of 2t won't kill your engine.
    Not the right oil but I wouldn't go taking out filters that haven't even seen the 2t oil.
    2T oil isn't exactly antifreeze or water that will wreck an engine, its an oil that lubricates pistons and bearings in high revving high output engines in hot and nasty conditions.
    If it can handle that then a 4t isn't going to self destruct with a trace of it in the engine.

Plus don't really appreciate that smart ar$e remark there at the end man. Ive a touch of OCD and hate doing things if I can't do them right but I don't have endless disposable income. Hardly my fault the shop made an error.

Thanks anyway

Nice little edit Sonic85..........24 minutes after your original post,at 10;38am.:pac::

Eh mate,you asked for advice and you got it. And the same advice from 3 different members too.
    So if you would read what Ive posted here so far......I said do it right or dont do it at all,go back to the shop and get the replacement oil.......(free of charge),if the shop is a half decent shop,then they will do this.

I never said anything was your fault either.Again please read what was posted.And stop taking personal issue with what was posted.

Also how has what I posted anything to do with endless disposable income??

Nice little edit Sonic85..........24 minutes after your original post,at 10;38am.:pac::

Eh mate,you asked for advice and you got it. And the same advice from 3 different members too.
    So if you would read what Ive posted here so far......I said do it right or dont do it at all,go back to the shop and get the replacement oil.......(free of charge),if the shop is a half decent shop,then they will do this.

I never said anything was your fault either.Again please read what was posted.And stop taking personal issue with what was posted.

Also how has what I posted anything to do with endless disposable income??

Yep 24 minutes because I was in work and couldn't stand around playing with my phone.

Yep I got some advice and it was very much appreciated too - like I said in one of my posts I kind of knew what I should do but just threw the question out there to see what others thought.

Ill take personal issue with anything i think is personal thanks. There's been a few replies on this thead but you'll notice your reply was the only one I took issue with - 100% on account of that final remark. The rest of your post was grand and and like I said I appreciate all replies and advice but maybe next time leave the smart comments out.

Anyway I'm finished with this thread so thanks to anyone who replied I appreciate it!

Yep 24 minutes because I was in work and couldn't stand around playing with my phone.

Yep I got some advice and it was very much appreciated too - like I said in one of my posts I kind of knew what I should do but just threw the question out there to see what others thought.

Ill take personal issue with anything i think is personal thanks. There's been a few replies on this thead but you'll notice your reply was the only one I took issue with - 100% on account of that final remark. The rest of your post was grand and and like I said I appreciate all replies and advice but maybe next time leave the smart comments out.

Anyway I'm finished with this thread so thanks to anyone who replied I appreciate it!

Ah here now with the excuses,good luck to you so.:rolleyes:

If you cant stand the heat,then get out of the kitchen.

Drain oil from bike.
    Go back with oil containers,and receipt.
    Get correct replacement oil for free off bike shop.
    Install it.
    Then stop complaining at people and editing your posts to be bitching,when they help you out.
    Simple as that and end of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement