Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any broadband solutions instead of cable?

• 05-02-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭

Virgin broadband and TV customer in Dublin, we have decided that we dont watch TV enough to warrant shelling out ~30€ per months on basic cable TV , (not interested in premium sports or movies) but would like access to the basic Irish and UK channels.
    Is the best to get a satellite dish and a box for it? or are there any user friendly solutions that work through the broadband like the Amazon fire stick or we have an xbox 1 setup already?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

A satellite dish and Aerial combo will give you all the channels you need for free. If you're in north dublin you may be able just to point an areial north and get both RTE and The UK channel on the Aerial only. if your TV has a sat tuner like mine does ( an LG) then you're laughing, otherwise you can get a combo box easily enough.

or just use netflix and only broadband. I cant remember the last time my kids watched anything other then netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A satellite dish and Aerial combo will give you all the channels you need for free. If you're in north dublin you may be able just to point an areial north and get both RTE and The UK channel on the Aerial only. if your TV has a sat tuner like mine does ( an LG) then you're laughing, otherwise you can get a combo box easily enough.

or just use netflix and only broadband. I cant remember the last time my kids watched anything other then netflix.

Ive cancelled the TV package now saving me 30Euro per month so have a month to look into this. Im in South Dublin so if I cant find another solution Ill go with a Dish. It might sound like a thick question but how would you get Netflix on the TV? do you get a dongle/usb for the TV?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I use a smart TV but the netflix app works on Android Boxs, Apple TV and several other small plugin boxes.

You can also use a chromecast but I'm not a fan, though loads of folk love them.

Advertisement