Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend USB lights for commuting.

Options
  • 05-02-2017 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent set of front and rear lights for commuting. I've a cheap set on the bike at the moment but I'm concerned they don't project enough light to catch the attention of drivers either exiting junctions to the left as I approach or from behind.

I often commute in the dark (Sandyford to Stephens green) either early morning or late evening and a few times cars exiting roads to my left have shot out in front of my like I was invisible and it's undermining my confidence.

I've been on Wiggle but more confused than ever as there are lights for €30 and lights for €120 which appear to do the same thing and be as good as each other.

I basically want a strong bright set which are USB rechargeable and have various flash/strobe settings to catch drivers attention.

I'd appreciate some real world recommendations. Whilst I don't have an unlimited budget I do value my safety so I'll invest whatever is required in the right set of lights.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Have a pair of Cateye loop on the bike, and the exposure link on the helmet.

Found the one on the helmet is the most effective one to get noticed the bike ones usually just get mixed with the car lights.

Exposure
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-link-combination-front-and-rear-light/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-hecto-drive-350xl-strip-light-set/rp-prod152288

€47 will get you the above set. 350L on the front should be adequate for unlit roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

bikedude wrote: »
    Have a pair of Cateye loop on the bike, and the exposure link on the helmet.

Found the one on the helmet is the most effective one to get noticed the bike ones usually just get mixed with the car lights.

Exposure
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-link-combination-front-and-rear-light/

Thanks Bikedude, I like the helmet light. Will combine that with WA's recommendation for "on bike" light's.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-hecto-drive-350xl-strip-light-set/rp-prod152288

€47 will get you the above set. 350L on the front should be adequate for unlit roads.

Thanks WA, exactly what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

I've used the Lezybe KTV's - pretty good light, and lasts 6 hours in flashing mode. The constant mode is just about ok for dark country roads, and they recharge in a few hours. One down-side is the rubber boot that covers the USB connector invariably falls off and gets lost.

• Advertisement

Spotted these on Wiggle - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/niterider-swift-350-and-sabre-50-light-set/?utm_source=order-placed-sg01-en&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orders&utm_content=product

Looks like they will do the trick. USB rechargeable, strong lumen, compact and well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

As is traditional, I will now mention wrist lights.

The thing I found made the most difference in reducing the incidence of cars entering the road from my left, against my right of way, was wrist lights.

Moon Crescents are USB rechargeable, bright and reasaonably small. Get about 160 minutes out of them on the least intense steady setting (they'd last longer set to flashing mode, but I just have gone off flashing lights).

369839.JPG

Good for signalling, and increase visibility from the side. Slight "what the hell is that" effect too. I think I'm pretty much alone in my enthusiasm for them, but they're effective.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    As is traditional, I will now mention wrist lights.

The thing I found made the most difference in reducing the incidence of cars entering the road from my left, against my right of way, was wrist lights.

Moon Crescents are USB rechargeable, bright and reasaonably small. Get about 160 minutes out of them on the least intense steady setting (they'd last longer set to flashing mode, but I just have gone off flashing lights).

369839.JPG

Good for signalling, and increase visibility from the side. Slight "what the hell is that" effect too. I think I'm pretty much alone in my enthusiasm for them, but they're effective.

Thanks Tom, very innovative. There must be an arm/wrist based product on the market already? If not you might have to start a little business making them to order.

From little acorns..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Do you not find those wrist lights distracting. Haven't used them but I'd imagine they must be in your line of sight and throw off a good bit of glare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The ultimate in lights [url]HTTPS://lumoshelmet.co/[/url]

• Advertisement

Thanks Tom, very innovative. There must be an arm/wrist based product on the market already? If not you might have to start a little business making them to order.

From little acorns..........

There have been a few commercial products over the last twenty years, like the Goude Indicator Glove for example, but they all seem to fold eventually. They've never really caught on.

My ones at least have the advantage of just being off-the-shelf lights. A lot of the other models have fancy thumb switches and mercury tilt switches and the like. Which is nice if you just want them for signalling, rather than side-on visibility.

hesker wrote: »
    Do you not find those wrist lights distracting. Haven't used them but I'd imagine they must be in your line of sight and throw off a good bit of glare.

In practice, it's not a problem. You just orientate them on your wrist so they're pointing off to the side and not up. That means they're in where a wristwatch would be when you're on the hoods of a drop-bar bike, and they're on the side of the wrist, pretty much, when you're on a straight-bar bike.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all incidents where your right of way is transgressed by a motorist entering the main road are because you haven't been seen; some people are just horrible. So always be ready to brake or take evasive action. If there are no cars immediately behind you or alongside you, move a little closer to the centre of the lane until you're past the side road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

These USB lights are a bit pointless for a commuter imo. I was considering getting some, but then realised the AA batteries in my "old" lights still haven't needed replacing in 2 years. Fair enough they don't get used for much of the year, but still!

OP: recharging may not be a big deal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Exposure Tracer on the back and a 800 lumens flashlight on the handle bars that I got for less than 50 incld. shipping and bike mount. I chose a flashlight over a dedicated light as the performance for that price is better and it runs on 18650 batteries, as a vaper I have plenty of them incl. charger.

Even considering buying a charger and 2 18650s it is still cheaper than a lot of the bike lights at that performance level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I think the best lights I have are the little ones I have attached to my helmet. I feel like a bit of a dork at times but I get over it quickly tbh. I'm an alive dork!

I use the following, they flash very brightly and are quite high up, what with being on my helmet.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-lights/bike-lights/super-slim-bike-light-set-2015

I can't link to a photo on Strava, but I have a pic here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/721807458

Very cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

srsly78 wrote: »
    These USB lights are a bit pointless for a commuter imo. I was considering getting some, but then realised the AA batteries in my "old" lights still haven't needed replacing in 2 years. Fair enough they don't get used for much of the year, but still!

Depends on the lights. My lights illuminate signs 80m ahead on full intensity, to power them on AA would take 8 and last about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I don't like USB lights as the batteries degrade over time and are not replaceable. It's also not possible to have spare batteries on hand for when they run out.

I'd advise dynamo and lights as the best commuter option* and, failing that, lights that take AA(A) batteries used with rechargeables.

*Dynamo lights are always there, always working and never getting dim 'cos the batteries are running down. Initial cost is a little high but €200 gets you a superb setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got this one recently, to replace a very similar one that I got in Aldi years ago;

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/front-white-cob-rechargeable-usb-bike-light-small-waterproof-powerful-led-lamp-/322293480695?hash=item4b0a303cf7:g:D5gAAOSwCGVYAIvA

Great value - needs to be charged maybe twice a week for my 45-minute commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LemonAid

Go into your local independent bike shop and support them instead of sending your money to the uk or halfords.they will have all your lighting needs and give you a service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

LemonAid wrote: »
    Go into your local independent bike shop and support them instead of sending your money to the uk or halfords.they will have all your lighting needs and give you a service.
    I'd be delighted to spend more money in LBS's but most of them carry a very limited stock of lighting and it is often at the inferior end of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

cdaly_ wrote: »

I'd advise dynamo and lights as the best commuter option

Would you recommend any particular Dynamo?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I don't like USB lights as the batteries degrade over time and are not replaceable...
    It depends on the lights. I have several Lezyne front lights which are USB chargable and the batteries can be replaced. On long rides, I take a few extra charged batteries and replace them on the roadside.

The batteries do deteriorate over time but will generally last a couple of winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Cycling to Galway last week meant leaving Dublin in poor light and arriving after sunset. After delays (punct***s) I was glad I'd a 1700lumen on the handlebar to light up the bog road http://road.cc/content/review/211117-moon-meteor-storm-pro as well as a helmet 5-led 70 lumen Moon Mask http://road.cc/content/review/47211-moon-mask-5-led-front-light to flash at approaching traffic and to read roadsigns plus 3 rear cateye http://www.wiggle.com/cateye-tl-ld610-led-rear-light/ and moon shield lights (60 lumen so point it down or to the right a little if in bike lanes as its uncomfortable for other cyclists) http://road.cc/content/review/49061-moon-shield-rechargeable-tail-light

Almost any 3W hub dynamo will do nicely for commuting. Of course you have to get that built up into a wheel to actually use it.

You'll buy a pre-built dynamo wheel for €100 - €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent set of front and rear lights for commuting. I've a cheap set on the bike at the moment but I'm concerned they don't project enough light to catch the attention of drivers either exiting junctions to the left as I approach or from behind.

I often commute in the dark (Sandyford to Stephens green) either early morning or late evening and a few times cars exiting roads to my left have shot out in front of my like I was invisible and it's undermining my confidence.

I've been on Wiggle but more confused than ever as there are lights for €30 and lights for €120 which appear to do the same thing and be as good as each other.

I basically want a strong bright set which are USB rechargeable and have various flash/strobe settings to catch drivers attention.

I'd appreciate some real world recommendations. Whilst I don't have an unlimited budget I do value my safety so I'll invest whatever is required in the right set of lights.

Cheers.

I've a Lezyne for the last 3 yrs and I find it great... I'd say any light will do, but I agree that front lights are somehow a lot more important than rear ones...
    I would get some light capable of at least 400/500 lumens and that you can switch on flashing during the day.
    I'd use more than one light in the back. I have two on the frame and one on my bag (I wouldn't bother with usb lights in the back)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

The Shutter Precision knock-off of the Supernova hub is very good, and a reasonable price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

srsly78 wrote: »

Maybe not in your case but the number of cyclists I see who think their lights are sufficient because they still light up when it is quite clear on approach that the batteries are not supplying sufficient power is shocking. Unless you are doing little or no cycling with the lights, it sounds hard to believe they would still be OK after two years (but I could be wrong)
    Shimano DH3N80. Rose do pre built wheels with decen t Mavic rims for well under 200euro. Pretty much bomb proof. The edelux light I had with mine was never mistaken for a cyclist but treated like either a motorbike with decent lights or a car with only one headlight, no one misses you with it.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Maybe not in your case but the number of cyclists I see who think their lights are sufficient because they still light up when it is quite clear on approach that the batteries are not supplying sufficient power is shocking. Unless you are doing little or no cycling with the lights, it sounds hard to believe they would still be OK after two years (but I could be wrong)

This is compounded by the lights being nice and bright when you switch them on and only fade after a couple of minutes because the batteries had a rest from the last time they were used.

So you switch them on, they look fine and you set off on the bike. By the time you get to the end of the road, they're essentially off.

Advertisement