Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merlin auction...photos, haul and (some) prices.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

clement wrote: »
    Would anybody know what the grey mini went for.

My catalogue is downstairs now but I believe it was 12k or very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clement

Cheers for that. Went up to see it and just couldn't wait around for it. Good money got so. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Crazy money. I think there was an online bidder vs a hall bidder and they both just went mad bidding against each other. Applause from the audience when the hammer landed :)

It was 12k something alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

How much did the Citroen Traction Avant go for?

Some good prices there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

All the figures quoted are correct but how many actually sold...

Many were provisionally accepted and that does not mean "SOLD"

That means it was the highest bid and will offer to the vendor.

It would be interesting to see how many actually sold.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Crazy money. I think there was an online bidder vs a hall bidder and they both just went mad bidding against each other. Applause from the audience when the hammer landed :)

It was 12k something alright!

I did not understand the applause at all... it was provisionally accepted, the auctioneer said "i am sure it will be okay" again it had to be accepted as it didn't meet reserve.

I'm going to guess the 105 gtv didn't sell?

no feel way short of reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

okistag wrote: »
    All the figures quoted are correct but how many actually sold...

Many were provisionally accepted and that does not mean "SOLD"

That means it was the highest bid and will offer to the vendor.

It would be interesting to see how many actually sold.

Keep an eye on donedeal this week, anything that didn't sell will be resisted I should imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Keep an eye on donedeal this week, anything that didn't sell will be resisted I should imagine
    Many were on donedeal before aswell.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

Did anyone notice what the Porsche 914 made? Or did it sell? or does anyone on here know the owner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can't remember, but several thousand for sure. Shocking as it was a heap. I suppose they are getting rare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭goochy

sorry would I be right in saying it wasn't a great success and therefore Merlin are unlikely to have another one anytime soon anyway ?

do you think there were serious buyers there or just tyre kickers ?

goochy wrote: »
    sorry would I be right in saying it wasn't a great success and therefore Merlin are unlikely to have another one anytime soon anyway ?

do you think there were serious buyers there or just tyre kickers ?

I wouldn't say it was exactly a failure. As mentioned there was bidding on pretty much everything...not Merlin's fault if someone didn't get €4.5k for their 97 Suzuki!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Any figures for the Traction Avant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Nice pics :)

Any figures on the 308 GT4 (I presume its didnt sell) or the 97 XK8?

Cheers,

I believe the Ferrari went up to 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I see a few of the cars back up on DD again today.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/72-custom-beetle/14267722

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1980-toyota-corona-1-8ltr-5-speed/14317174

Classic car auctions just don't seem to work well in Ireland. Often the sellers have unrealistic expectations of value. there was a handful (maybe two handfuls !) of what I would describe as 'good cars', a lot of mediocre cars, cars needing some (or lots) of work to have them right, cars that have been in storage for years and cars that just aren't all that desirable. Market for modern classics is very small here in Ireland

I rarely buy classics at auction, but if I do, I would expect to get it for a bit less than I would pay in a private sale (especially a car needing work), as when buying private at least I have the opportunity to start and drive it, have a good look around and under it etc... I suppose my reasoning is that if I'm taking a bigger risk, I want a better deal. Anyone else the same?

I had an interest in the little Austin A30, it went to €1700, which was more than I was willing to pay without a drive or inspection, might have taken a punt if it was less but maybe someone else had their homework done. Wonder did it actually sell? anyone know?

The Volkswagen "icecream" can mustn't have been sold. It went to hammer at 6900 but it's now posted on classic cars for sale page on Facebook for 14k!

Very, very well put @Testacalda. Exactly my thoughts that I kind of touched on earlier. There was no value to be had yesterday, from what I witnessed; thus kind of defeating the whole point of an auction.

I do however think this boils down to owners over-pricing their cars. Bidding on that Volkswagen rat rod thingy went up to €3k I believe. I don't know how the owner expects €6.5k for it, at an auction. Thats just one example. There are a few more that I can think of off the top of my head but I won't dive into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Most of the reserves are silly money, can be got for half the money and much better condition in the UK

• Advertisement

Very, very well put @Testacalda. Exactly my thoughts that I kind of touched on earlier. There was no value to be had yesterday, from what I witnessed; thus kind of defeating the whole point of an auction.

I do however think this boils down to owners over-pricing their cars. Bidding on that Volkswagen rat rod thingy went up to €3k I believe. I don't know how the owner expects €6.5k for it, at an auction. Thats just one example. There are a few more that I can think of off the top of my head but I won't dive into it.

I didn't go for exactly that reason even though I'm only 20 mins away

Also now on donedeal the Mazda mx3 is for sale at 1500 when it went for 750 yesterday and the green Corona which went for 600 of up for 1500!

Also now on donedeal the Mazda mx3 is for sale at 1500 when it went for 750 yesterday and the green Corona which went for 600 of up for 1500!

An mx3 is about as rare as flies on cowsh it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well the Fuego was well out of my budget :pac:

Rumour has it the wall was bidding on it but lost out to the lampshade.

It's also not a great resto.

The Volkswagen "icecream" can mustn't have been sold. It went to hammer at 6900 but it's now posted on classic cars for sale page on Facebook for 14k!

Like most of the vehicles, this Volkswagen "icecream also had bids but did not make its reserve.

Provisionally sold only means they will tell the owner of the highest bid and see if they accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I was passing the premises yesterday so went in for a look. My main interest was to have a look around the autojumble ...which could have done with more stalls for my liking.

I had a quick look around the cars up for auction. The Aston Martin and Porsche caught my attention - did they sell??

The Fuego also caught my interest. It was tidy (except for the bent drivers door edge..nasty!) but wasnt worth that kind of money...if it did actually sell at all ('wall bids' somebody mentioned here?!).

I agree that auctions - and specifically classic car auctions - dont really work in Ireland. Sellers expect silly money...and in many cases buyers pay silly money for average vehicles.

I've been working around cars since I was small (and worked in the motor trade for many years) and always go the private route when considering a car - 'no test drive / no thorough examination auctions' dont hold any appeal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

okistag wrote: »
    Like most of the vehicles, this Volkswagen "icecream also had bids but did not make its reserve.

Provisionally sold only means they will tell the owner of the highest bid and see if they accept.

Exactly and with it advertised at 14k the reserve must have been at least 10k considering auction fees. You'll rarely get a classic at auction value in Ireland unless someone is desperate to sell. As others have said you can't inspect the car like in a private or dealer sale so risk always knocks bids below the reserve.

I suspect most of these cars will remain unsold until they are inherited such is the market in Ireland.

Silvera wrote: »
    My main interest was to have a look around the autojumble ...which could have done with more stalls for my liking.

I got burned with the radio I bought yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Silvera wrote: »
    The Fuego also caught my interest. It was tidy (except for the bent drivers door edge..nasty!) but wasnt worth that kind of money...if it did actually sell at all ('wall bids' somebody mentioned here?!).
    Next time you get a chance check out the overspray under the bonnet, a windscreen with a different reg etched on it, all front pabels misalighed abd the front grille that looks like its falling off yet managed to be attached at each corner.....

Or look under the arches for the cut abd weld lines. Or better yet, wonder at the worn steeribg wheel and low mileage

• Advertisement

I got burned with the radio I bought yesterday :(

Was it hot ?

Advertisement