Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merlin auction...photos, haul and (some) prices.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The GTV was a beauty alright

408584.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Beautiful car alright but 30k - in Ireland - at an auction - is way out of the park imo.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/morris-bull-nose-1924/14563550

YjUzODk5YjRiZGI1MDYyMzBlMjZkZGUxNzQxN2JhNjHIoCKS767lebdJP1SdYSv5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182ODYwMjE5OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This made €12.4k on the day; you would think for the sake of a few grand the owner would have accepted. Its not as if buyers would be queuing up to buy something like this in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I think some of them have used the auction to get an idea of the price they should be asking?
    Then again as you say they could have just sold it at the auction,...maybe they need time to reflect:)

I see your point.

That Morris was on donedeal before the auction with no price on the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Some folks also are in no hurry to sell and don't mind if the car never sells. Some also refuse to except the market price. Look at that ratrod. It probably will end up in his back yard. Pride before fall.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Next time you get a chance check out the overspray under the bonnet, a windscreen with a different reg etched on it, all front pabels misalighed abd the front grille that looks like its falling off yet managed to be attached at each corner.....

Or look under the arches for the cut abd weld lines. Or better yet, wonder at the worn steeribg wheel and low mileage

I didnt look at it that closely...a quick walk around all the cars for auction was enough for me.
    I did spot the 'HZG nnn' reg number etched on the windscreen ...but any car could require a replacement (s/h) screen.

You obviously gave it a good once-over. Are you a Fuego fan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

unkel wrote: »
    Started off with some silly high prices, but not for some cars! Raging I wasn't bidding. W123 230CE went for 1700-1800 iirc, and it was a very nice car. Would have liked that for myself :)

996 for 10,800 was very good value. Unless it needs an engine :p

Couldn't stay till the end, how much did the 504 make? That and the Simca 1501 were my favourite cars of the auction. The latter made 2200 which was a bit more than it was for sale for on donedeal a few months ago iirc. Still a bargain for a unique car.

I just took a deposit on the 230CE today.
    Nice quick 1K profit.
    I gave my wife first refusal on it but she didn't want it.

Started off with some silly high prices, but not for some cars! Raging I wasn't bidding. W123 230CE went for 1700-1800 iirc, and it was a very nice car. Would have liked that for myself :)

996 for 10,800 was very good value. Unless it needs an engine :p

Couldn't stay till the end, how much did the 504 make? That and the Simca 1501 were my favourite cars of the auction. The latter made 2200 which was a bit more than it was for sale for on donedeal a few months ago iirc. Still a bargain for a unique car.

What did I tell you about 996 prices in Ireland?
    They can be bought for 10-12K if one is patient and knows where to look.
    Or imported from the UK for around 3-3.5K VRT.

Damn the 230CE is NCTd till 10/17 too, someone got a bargain here. Auto too and the most reliable engine of them all. It had a high auction number (93 or something) but it came up early. I'd say a few people interested in it missed it. Buyer is a lucky man :)

I am a lucky man indeed.
    Fortune favours the bold.
    I would have let you have it for 3K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

And the €1,250 Xr2i is now up for €2k

DakarVert wrote: »
    And the €1,250 Xr2i is now up for €2k

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Where?

FB.

Was up for sale since before June for around €3k on DD.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Snap ;)

Honestly I think some lads just use the auction to test the water.
    Silly reserve, then see what it makes. Then add 2-3K and put it up on Donedeal.
    Deluded.
    The prices were strong on some of them, so they should have taken them and been grateful.
    What can one do though? One cannot put sense where there isn't any.
    Some lads will hang on, and hang on, thinking they can squeeze another grand out of it.
    My attitude is this; if it hasn't sold after a month then drop the price 100 per week until it does.
    Cars will sell for what the market will stand, like it or not. Hanging on for 6 months isn't going to move it.
    One can lose 500 on a classic, then make 1K on one. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
    Ironically some of the worst rotten cars I have had sold fast, and the best clean ones took ages!
    It's almost like some buyers need a restoration challenge. A show car almost puts them off!
    I had one nutter who even flew in from Germany and drove back a W123 300d I had which was rotten.
    I bought it for £50 more than it was weighed in for at the scrapyard. It had around 400K on the clock.
    Why a German would want a RHD one I will never know.
    But there you go, a fool and his money are easily parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Did you sell the Bentley at the auction Mr Rolex.
    It was a beautiful car. iirc the bidding went up to 10k?

Did you sell the Bentley at the auction Mr Rolex.
    It was a beautiful car. iirc the bidding went up to 10k?

My wife's car to be honest. She didn't mention what it sold for, and I didn't bother to ask as it was small money anyway. But yes, it was a nice car. I refused to pay the 1809 motor tax on it, so she just drove it around with nothing on it for years. Gardai don't really pull Bentley's, well unless you are obviously drunk and all over the road.
    Shame one needs a petrol tanker following behind to keep them in fuel though!

• Advertisement

I am not even into American trucks so why do I still really want this?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

I heard from a reliable source 5 vehicles sold on the day and a further 23 after the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I am not even into American trucks so why do I still really want this?

You want to get in touch with your inner redneck?!

A gun rack and a few dozen empty beer cans rolling around in the back and you're in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

And here another Landcruiser for almost 40k !!!! 
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-landcruiser-bj42-lx-1984-limited-edition/14161839
    Can someone please explain to me why someone would fork out that sort of money for these cars? :'(
    Being in the trade I have of course seen many classic cars that for some reason or another seem to fetch a much higher price than what you would think for the sort of car in question, but they all had some kind of explanation as to why people would pay big money for them (I am thinking of the likes of the Austin-Healey's fetching 30-40k plus, the Jaguar Mk2 which up to 10 years back you couldn't find for less than 30k) but with a Landcruiser BJ series, I just don't get it.
    Actually come to think of it moderators, please move this reply to the classics spotted on donedeal because it;s more relevant there

Best to try to stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    And here another Landcruiser for almost 40k !!!! 
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-landcruiser-bj42-lx-1984-limited-edition/14161839
    Can someone please explain to me why someone would fork out that sort of money for these cars? :'(

It's an Irish thing Paul. Maybe you haven't been here for long enough (at a time) to grasp that :pac:

I suppose almost everyone in Ireland is no more than 2 generations away from poverty. And maybe 1 generation from being in a farming family. The Landcruisers were farm work tools, and loved, appreciated and admired for their reliability and indestructibility. Most of their value today on this island is because of this nostalgic factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Ok, I can see the point about nostalgia, but that would mean the old Land Rovers and Nissan Patrols should also fetch a premium.
    But that said, it means I could make a killing importing these. The one below is for sale at 8,5k in Germany (with the steering wheel on the wrong side though)...

0302596780001.jpg?1f6d95498ed822e798cc9591606cd048

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Maybe because I own a one owner, Original Irish BJ40, I think looking for 40k for an import is pie in the sky stuff. I went to the original auction of the one that Paddy Connolly bought for 42k plus buyers premium and that was an Indonesian import rebuilt for McCabe by a Californian company that was quiet close to mint so draw your own conclusion. My restoration is nearly complete. Haven't a clue what it's worth but it's value is sentimental and nothing else.

• Advertisement

Advertisement