Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist godfather to niece for communion and confirmation.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Read the above, just go and enjoy the day, not a big deal

And as per you previous post, most certainly tell her she's beautiful. Every little girl loves to hear that, and will likely remember it for far longer than anything else said in the church.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Qs wrote: »
    How many times do we have to deal with these false equivalences?
    At this point, I have to say that for people who devote a significant portion of their lives to following the written word, some religious are having the divil of a time with comprehension of English prose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Qs wrote: »
    We don't have grown adults worshipping Santa. Santa worshippers don't have massive political influence. And your kid wont be rejected from a school because he doesn't worship Santa. Yawn.

How many times do we have to deal with these false equivalences?

If we want to talk about false equivalence lets start with the OP who seems to believe that indulging his siblings, request and being there for his niece through her various religious ceremonies is basically the same endorsing the dogma of the Catholic Church in all its minutia.

I mean imagine if this was the other way round... and you had a Christian sibling refusing to attend the secular ceremonies of an atheist sibling's children, or even a child who was of a different faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

If we want to talk about false equivalence lets start with the OP who seems to believe that indulging his siblings, request and being there for his niece through her various religious ceremonies is basically the same endorsing the dogma of the Catholic Church in all its minutia.

I mean imagine if this was the other way round... and you had a Christian sibling refusing to attend the secular ceremonies of an atheist sibling's children, or even a child who was of a different faith?

No he didn't say that at all. He asked what was involved and said he didn't want to bless himself, etc So yeah imagine asking a devout catholic to go to another religions event and asking them to behave like they believe something else. It'd be completely out of order. OP just wanted confirmation (pardon the pun) on what he would be required to do if he attended.

Happened to me year before last when my father died. He ditched religion after bad experiences as a child and raised all of us atheist, while his sister and cousins remained staunch Catholics. None of them attended the secular funeral, being of the opinion that it wasn't a real or proper funeral with no religion involved. Most of them are quite elderly and of their generation, so while I don't hold it against them, I found it quite sad, more so for them to an extent than for myself and my siblings. My sisters mother in-law similarly refused to attend her secular wedding for the same reasons, and I notice there's another recent thread on here on the same subject.

While this is all anecdotal, from what I've seen it is far more common for religious people to be intolerant of secular ceremonies that the reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I never came across anyone boycotting funeral or wedding for religious or nonreligious reasons. I would have very low opinion of someone who would do that, especially if they are close to people getting married or to the deceased. It's selfish and self absorbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

smacl wrote: »
    I suspect for many kids, Jesus falls into the same category as Santa.

Except Santa pays out.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Except Santa pays out.

From what I gather, when it comes to communions and confirmations, Jesus loves you for money too... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

From what I gather, when it comes to communions and confirmations, Jesus loves you for money too... ;)

But all the kids know it's their family giving them the money, not Jesus...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

But all the kids know it's their family giving them the money, not Jesus...

The cynic in me reckons they might just suspect about Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny too. For those three, it seems pretty obvious that traditional folk mythology is being propped by bribing children with gifts. Jesus it would seem is also being propped up here by bribing children. They're all dishonest, the only difference is the Jesus bribe is perpetuated by the Church for their own gain rather whereas largely consumerist festivals such Christmas are perpetuated by big business trying to sell us crap we don't need.

As I've said, I'm all for instilling my children with a rich sense of fantasy and imagination, and have no problem with spoiling them with little treats or bribes on occasion either. I do however object to third parties of any description trying to manipulate them for their own gain. Youngest was somewhat envious of the loot some of her mates got at their confirmation, though taking herself and a few others out to see Lilly Allen a couple of weeks later seemed to make up for it and I suspect will remember fondly as the first big gig she went to for many years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

So there is a line? What if the coffin has a cross on it ?

I'd also have to check if there were splashes of "holy" water on it. Are you seriously comparing a funeral to a communion?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

eviltwin wrote: »
    What exactly are you being asked to lie about? Just go and observe, you don't have to say or do anything. Get a few pics taken, give her a few quid and make a fuss over her. Is there some issue with that?

I'd be ok of I had to say nothing and just sat at a pew (preferably at the back of the church). I've no issue with the photos and giving some cash.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Nobody on the entire planet cares if you "endorse" the catholic church or not, least of all the catholic church.

It's like refusing to go outside in case someone thinks you are endorsing rain.

What a stupid analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Worztron wrote: »
    I'd be ok of I had to say nothing and just sat at a pew (preferably at the back of the church). I've no issue with the photos and giving some cash.

Have you found out if you've been invited yet?

Absolam wrote: »
    Have you found out if you've been invited yet?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

The cynic in me reckons they might just suspect about Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny too. For those three, it seems pretty obvious that traditional folk mythology is being propped by bribing children with gifts. Jesus it would seem is also being propped up here by bribing children. They're all dishonest, the only difference is the Jesus bribe is perpetuated by the Church for their own gain rather whereas largely consumerist festivals such Christmas are perpetuated by big business trying to sell us crap we don't need.

As I've said, I'm all for instilling my children with a rich sense of fantasy and imagination, and have no problem with spoiling them with little treats or bribes on occasion either. I do however object to third parties of any description trying to manipulate them for their own gain. Youngest was somewhat envious of the loot some of her mates got at their confirmation, though taking herself and a few others out to see Lilly Allen a couple of weeks later seemed to make up for it and I suspect will remember fondly as the first big gig she went to for many years to come.

I went to my first big gig in the same year as my confirmation. I remember loads about that gig (Guns n Roses in Slane) and very little about my confo apart from the Malcom X jumper and hat I got my Mammy to buy me to wear for the day (uniform for the ceremony). Don't even remember where we went that day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I am an atheist but was godfather to my niece last month, they told me there was much religion related stuff involving me...Well I was misinformed, they expected me to accept God created the earth, just sat there in silence refused to answer the yes I was supposed to

It must have come as a huge shock to you to discover that as a willing participant in a Catholic sacrament you found that you would have to accept basic Catholic ideals.
    That really is outrageous.

In the end, I just gave a card with cash. Getting there was fine - a lift in a car but the location was too far away for me to get home (I'd have needed to get multiple buses home) and I was unwilling to stay over (no longer interested in booze filled chatter into the early hours).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

infogiver wrote: »
    It must have come as a huge shock to you to discover that as a willing participant in a Catholic sacrament you found that you would have to accept basic Catholic ideals.

You do not accept anything. You just smile and nod and go along with it

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You do not accept anything. You just smile and nod and go along with it

Or smile and decline the invite on the basis that you don't believe in their God. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Or smile and decline the invite on the basis that you don't believe in their God. ;)

The god part is irrelevant to any of the ones I've gone to. It is more seen as an honour thing to be involved in the childs life. I am Godfather twice over for example and would not dream of trying to impose anything on the children. Also going to a confimration next week. Niece is really looking forward to it as a day out - she has no interest in the god part. I see it as part of Irish tradition rather than a religious one. ence I have no problem enjoyinh Xmas or Easter as equaly religious folk have no qualms celebrating Hallowe'en (or Easter or Xmas ;) )

It is more seen as an honour thing to be involved in the childs life.

That or suckering someone into extra baby-sitting duties and a demand for jumbo size birthday and Christmas presents. I've a friend who is doing her damndest to avoid getting godmothered for these reasons at the moment. Needless to say, she's not religious and nobody seems to mind. Seems like more than a few of these good old Catholic traditions involve extorting mullah out of anyone who is seen as a soft touch. Paint me cynical, but its not a tradition I've any interest in getting schwifty with :)

Never had a problem with the babysitting part. Always happy to help someone out. That said the parents of my God children never took the piss. Wouldn't dream of charging anyone for babysitting though tbh. It is hardly demanding work

Never had a problem with the babysitting part. Always happy to help someone out. That said the parents of my God children never took the piss. Wouldn't dream of charging anyone for babysitting though tbh. It is hardly demanding work

Agreed, once there's give and take. I've always enjoyed having nieces, nephews and friends kids for stay overs to give their parents some kid free time, and enjoyed that kid free time myself when they did the same for us. In this case however, the person asking my friend to be godmother has never actually made any of an effort with her kids. Could be exceptional but not the first time I've seen it. If you're going to do those things for the child anyway, why be god parent? If you're not, why be god parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Worztron wrote: »
    In the end, I just gave a card with cash. Getting there was fine - a lift in a car but the location was too far away for me to get home (I'd have needed to get multiple buses home) and I was unwilling to stay over (no longer interested in booze filled chatter into the early hours).

So you turned down the invite to be her godfather on the basis of having to 'get multiple buses home' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Are you reading the same thread I am? In the OP he states pretty clearly he is already the godfather.

Are you reading the same thread I am? In the OP he states pretty clearly he is already the godfather.

My mistake-now that's something you don't hear too often round here. So he didn't attend his god daughters first communion on the basis of having to 'get multiple buses home'.

Sure. Logistics are a perfectly valid reason not to attend any event. I have myself missed a number of events I would have otherwise liked to attend because I could not work the logistics.

Just curious as to why he went to the bother of informing us that he has become an atheist, loathes religion, and would have a problem blessing himself if his participation was all down to the schedule of the 46A or whatever.

• Advertisement

Perhaps logistics did not figure into his thread when he started the thread, but "in the end" (his exact words actually) it became the deciding factor.

Things people know at the end of a thread, does not imply they knew them when they started in the thread.

Advertisement