Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dead external hard drive

Options
  • 05-02-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

I've have a unresponsive external hard drive, i haven't used it in quite a while and when i plug it into my laptop i get nothing...tried a new cable but nothing:confused:

is there any quick fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What make/model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

adaptec ASC - 120

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Was this an external drive you built yourself? That Adaptec is an external drive enclosure. Have you tried removing the case and reseating the drive connections?

Edit - are you also using the correct Y USB cable? Some drives need the two USB connected to provide the correct power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

buy another caddy for 10 euros ,open old unit, transfer drive into new caddy.0r use power/data cables from a pc dvd drive to test the hardrive.
    Turn off the pc,andswitch off power to the pc,before connecting upthe 2 cables ,data and power to the hardrive.
    the unit you have now is just a case with a usb port and a pcb to sata drive circuit board inside .open it up,see if the power /data cables are connected properly ,if it uses separate cables .is the usb cable connected
    properly to the pcb board.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sata-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Enclosure/dp/B003MVVPZI
    the drive may need a y type usb cable connected to 2 pc usb ports to spin up .

Advertisement